+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 19656 kensandhu is an unknown quantity at this point kensandhu's Avatar

Yes | No

2001 740i Bad Radiator? Overheating and no heat

Well, starting yesterday, I noticed that the heat in my passenger compartment stopped working. I drove to work this morning and got very dull heat for the most part (not good when you're in Chicago).

I also noticed this morning that the temp gauge would spike close to the red zone and then retreat back to normal a few seconds later. It did this about 6-7 times during my 22 mile trip. Once it got so close to the red zone that my instrument cluster showed COOLANT TEMPERATURE and then went back to normal again.

After getting to work, I lifted the hood to discover that the radiator neck had fluid running down the side, not a lot, but still enough to get me worried. What's the cost on a fix like this? Anything more than just the radiator that needs to be replaced, like the thermostat?

Your help is much appreciated. :)

Current Cars:
    2001 BMW 740i Sport
    2002 BMW X5 4.6iS

Previous Cars:
    2000 Black Metallic BMW M Coupe
    2002 Carbon Black BMW M3 SMG Convertible
    1997 Silver BMW 740iL
    2001 Millenium Yellow Corvette Z06 w/ Speed Mods ;-)
    1998 Steel Grey BMW 540i 6Speed
    1998 Dakkar Yellow BMW M3 5-Speed
    1996 Triple Black BMW 328is Automatic

Registered Member
    Member No: 109182 djzoey is an unknown quantity at this point djzoey's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 2001 740i Bad Radiator? Overheating and no he

Very common failure for these cars unfortuneately. I had a similar problem on the way to work last year, heat was not hot and got to work and saw steam commming from the engine. The expansion tank grew a crack in the tank. The plastic parts are proan to failure, hose necks and expanstion tank. My expansion tank went out last year. You should have to whole system replaced as a good measure, radiator, tank hoses and such. Cost me $600. Find a good independent and get it fixed. I wouldn't drive it much further, have it towed. BMWNA might help, they were going to help me however only for my failed expansion tank and not the rest since they hadn't failed yet. Just to replace the expansion tank as going to be over $300 in labor with BMWNA's help at the dealer. The expansion tank is only a $90 part and labor should be only about 1 hour. I had my indy do ALL for $600. BTW, Make sure they replace the top radiator hose if it has a barrel connector in the middle if you have one. My Indy also recommended replacing the heat core hose too while they had it, was included in the price for me. 2k 740iL, Cosmos Black, DDEs, MkII Nav, Fire Wire iPOD, 2x 12" Cerwin Vega V-Max sub speakers w/ 600watt mono amp, K&N Filter and 18" M-Parallels with TOYO ST's. "Lets Rock Baby!"
    www.myweb.cableone.net/djzoey
    or
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/817271
    http://myweb.cableone.net/djzoey/mme/idahomme.html

Bimmer4Life

Yes | No

Re: 2001 740i Bad Radiator? Overheating and no heat

Sounds about the same as mine, except mine not quite as bad. Only a drip coming from radiator neck at present, but it won't be long before it gives me problem. Already ordered parts to do a full coolant system makeover. About $600 worth. I figure if it's the radiator now, it won't be long before the expansion tank, water pump, hoses, belts, etc. go too and leave me out on the highway. Plan to do all the labor myself with the help of this forum. good luck.

Registered Member
    Member No: 146767 roiboi65 is an unknown quantity at this point roiboi65's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 2001 740i Bad Radiator? Overheating and no heat

I just went through the same thing new radiator (expansion tanks were previously done)..There is a link on this page for several BMW parts dealers, I used the following http://www.alleuropeanautoparts.com/ got radiator overnight for $231.00..I also replaced upper and lower radiator hoses as well as heater hoses..very DIY project..not hard just go slow and you will be fine. You can find a lot of usefull doc on www.e38.org

Registered Member
    Member No: 79482 ghainesx40 is an unknown quantity at this point ghainesx40's Avatar

Yes | No

Replace It! -- Cost me $10,000

See the article below if you haven't yet:

My $10,000 Radiator ProblemGordon Haines
    '05 Mercedes SLK55 AMG ------'97 740i-------'74 X1/9

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information