+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Register for Sharkfest & ToD drive info - (long)

Official Southeast Sharkfest (SESF) Dates 20-22 April 2007
    Unofficial (NOT connected to SESF) ToD Drive dates 18-19 April 2007

Excepts from the Sharkfest Site located here: http://www.bmwsharkfest.org/

"Come join us for another fantastic weekend celebrating of one of the most timeless automotive designs: the BMW 6-series. The event will be held in historic Asheville, North Carolina during the famous Biltmore "Flower Festival." Spring will be in full swing and promises to provide Southeast Sharkfest with the most beautiful scenic backdrops ever. With easy access to the Blueridge Parkway and just a short drive from the natural wonders of the Smoky Mountains, Southeast Sharkfest 2007 will be sure to please both driver AND passenger!

Sharkfest allows owners of these rare and beautiful vehicles to gather in an atmosphere of common interest and discuss all things BMW (and many things not). In previous years, we have incorporated into the event vintage motorcycles and some amazing examples of BMW's finest designs. Registration is open to all types of BMW's, and we will probably have a display area for non-6ers, however the only vehicles that will be judged in the primary show area during the Saturday car show are the original e24 chassis 6-series (1976-1989) and the new e63/e64 chassis 6-series (2004-current). The vehicles will be divided by era, however neither will be excluded."

The 2007 event format will be slightly different from that of our previous years. Friday will begin with our traditional mountain drive. This year we have located routes with NO or MINIMAL traffic lights and very clear, concise routes to avoid any confusion that may have existed in previous years. In addition, we will be splitting everyone into groups of ten, separated by timed intervals in order to ensure a safe, separated driving environment for all to enjoy.

This year we have secured the Biltmore Estates as our venue for the Saturday show. At around 175,000 square feet, the Biltmore Estate is the largest privately owned home in the United States. The grounds includes a winery with wine tasting, a restaurant and an inn for any who wish to indulge in luxurys over a century old. Previous years' registrations have included a meal, however this year we will instead be including admission to the Estate grounds in the registration costs.

----------------

I am planning additional thrills around the Tail of the Dragon (ToD) since it is NOT on the drive list for Sharkfest. I plan two days on Wednesday and Thursday (18/19 April) morning as it is just a couple of hours away from where the expected main lodging for Sharkfest will be located in Asheville. Part of my purpose is also scout out additional driving locations and dining opportunities for our other BMW DRAGONSLAYERS annual assault on the ToD, held in October (those of us coming from great distances tend to plan well in advance ). PLEASE DO sign up now for Sharkfest if you plan to attend (at the site I included above). We had 4 e63/64s out of nearly 70 6ers at Sharkfest 2006. I would like us to double or triple that at this next event. I have already booked room at Tapoco Lodge for the nights of 17 and 18 April. That is where we gathered last October to start our ToD drive. We try to make these things flexible so folks can pop in or out as necessary, so I never plan on everyone one doing every day/drive activity. The A Cherohala Skyway drive is normally scheduled to have Lunch at the Bistro by the River, about 55 miles from the ToD at Deals Gap. Right now only Thursday is planned for that run but if time permits we could possibly do that on Wednesday as well. Those of us traveling some distance will stay near the ToD and a couple of us are already booked in at the Tapaco Lodge. There are other digs close by as well. Cheapest room at Tapaco is $80 for the lowest rate but can go up if you want nicer digs. Can get all three meals there if you want. The Sharkfest drive is Friday and it is not on the ToD. Then we go on the lawn at Biltmore for the show on Saturday. I don't think I can stick around for anymore ToD after that

Link for Tapaco Lodge: http://www.tapocolodge.com/rates.html

They are closed now so if you need to make reservations I have a home phone number to the owners I'll provide via PM upon request. They open April 1st (or 2nd).

_______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Logic 7, HUD, Cold Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Aux, BT w/ snap-in adapter, V1, CIP 21.03 w/MP3 enabled

Registered Member
    Member No: 116561 grahambishop is an unknown quantity at this point grahambishop's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Register for Sharkfest & ToD drive info - (long)

Anyone else from here going? I am gonna be coming down from Monroe, New York on the Wednesday before and linking up with whoever I can to do the Tail of the Dragon on Thursday. It would be neat to get a gang to convoy down like the guys from Florida do! Cobradav...nice picture!Graham

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Are our Roadfly members dull or what!?

Seems like most of the interest in any events big or small are in the e24, e28 or e31 groups here on Roadfly and for e63/64 over on b i m m e r f e s t and the m5 and m6 board(s). Come on you Roadies, lets get with the program - Graham and Gman have ;o)

Graham, GMAN is coming from NJ. Not sure on his schedule, you may want to PM him. Also look at the Sharkfest Register for any e24s coming down from your direction. If you log in they should have email for contacts. I know I travelled in a mix of e24s and e28s last year. Made them follow my bangle-butt (j/k)

Maybe you and I can generate some Roadfly e63 participation.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Logic 7, HUD, Cold Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Aux, BT w/ snap-in adapter, V1, CIP 21.03 w/MP3 enabled

Registered Member
    Member No: 116561 grahambishop is an unknown quantity at this point grahambishop's Avatar

Yes | No

What for sure!

Comatose is the word you're looking for. I used to be pretty active on this board but it got to be kinda boring.
    GBelton and I are gonna link up and travel down together on Wednesday and do the ToD on Thursday! Maybe we can get someone from Roadfly to take some Geritol and come on down!!Graham

Registered Member

Yes | No

Watching this board is like watching grass grow

Graham

Registered Member

Yes | No

And it's winter growth too - under the snow!

_______

Registered Member
    Member No: 140295 AndrewDP is an unknown quantity at this point AndrewDP's Avatar

Yes | No

Yes, however even if I could carve out a few days,

it is a very long drive from Boston. I should take this opportunity to thank you for your instructive posts and replies. I participate on the forum to learn as much as possible about my 06 650i Sport conv. and would participate in events closer to home.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Yes, however even if I could carve out a few days,

Hey, Andrew we have them coming from all over. NY, NJ and another from MA (I think he is on m6 or m5 board. No pressure - just want to spread the word so if you are inclined you know about it..

I'm sure I've said this before but I am trying to pay back for what others have done for me. If you watch those really class folks on the e24, e28 and e31 boards trying to keep their bimmers runnin' you get a sense of the family of BMWs
    _______

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information