+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 136111 cwcw is an unknown quantity at this point cwcw's Avatar

Yes | No

cam tray gasket?

I was wondering if anyone is aware of a gasket that goes between the head and the cam tray. My head gasket kit didn't come with one and I can't remember if it had one when I removed it. It looks like it did? (I removed the head a year ago) I few people that I asked said that it doesn't take a gasket, just the rubber O rings.
    Thanks in advance for any info.

chris

Registered Member
    Member No: 45949 Philo is an unknown quantity at this point Philo's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: cam tray gasket?

There is no gasket but you should put a liberal amount of gasket sealer prior to putting the cam section on the head. And yes.., don't forget those two o-rings !!

On my head I used Hylomar between the head and cam tray. This is a blue super tacky gasket sealer.

Philo.
    -------------

Registered Member
    Member No: 136111 cwcw is an unknown quantity at this point cwcw's Avatar

Yes | No

thank you, I assume that you are talking about the 2 small o rings in the corners of the head. How about the six larger (spark plug holes) running down the center, do they get rubber? Darn kit comes with so many gaskets...

Registered Member
    Member No: 45949 Philo is an unknown quantity at this point Philo's Avatar

Yes | No

No, they don't put any gasket sealer but do get an o-ring. The o-rings for the spark plug well/holes are larger green o-rings in your head kit. Just put engine oil on all o-rings.

Also, in my kit there where lots of extra o-rings that confused the heck out of me. Just try to match up the old o-ring with the new.., and make sure the quantity of a specific o-ring supplied in the kit matches what's needed for the engine. In other words, the two small o-rings needed to seal the oil supply holes from the head to cam tray, there should only be two of them in the kit that match the size required. I recall in my kit there were two sets of o-rings (4) that fit this locations but only two of them fit perfectly, the other two where just a hair to small and lay perfectly in the o-ring groove cut in the head. So be careful !

And lastly, there are o-rings where the coolant pipe (above the headers) mates with the head. Don't forget those !

Philo.
    ------------

ieracer

Yes | No

It does take a special medal to medal flange sealer that is made by wurth. There are 2 types orange (20ths)and green (10ths) The green is what we use.

DD

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information