+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 150266 tinker14bs is an unknown quantity at this point tinker14bs's Avatar

Yes | No

Easiest way to remove Harmonic Balancer?

Subject line says it all.. What is the easiest way to remove the harmonic balancer. How do you lock the engine when taking the bolt off? The timing plug cannot do this. Should bar be used to jam the nuts on the torque converter? OR should I put the transmission in gear to lock it? Let me know. Thanks.

Charlie Leonard

Yes | No

Re: Easiest way to remove Harmonic Balancer?

Getting the large bolt out of the crank isn't an easy task. I used a hell-for-stout puller to tug on the puller, pulling against the balancer. To keep from any torque against the puller's bolts, I used a large Stilson wrench. Then turn the bolt, 24mm hvy duty socket. Once bolt is removed, some loosening agent may be necessary to pull the balasncer away fromk the crank.

I did NOT lock the engine for this task-- all torque was counteracted at the puller/Stilson combination. You will need to lock the engine when reinstalling the large bolt. For that task, I inserted abt two feet of polyethylene rope into a spark plug hole, after ensuring that cylinder is initially at BDC, and both valves closed. Radiator need not be removed.

That's abt the only difficult part for cam timing update. I renewed all four chains, tensioners and guides. However, at abt 73K miles the removed parts looked just fine. Dino oil, change interval abt 10Kmiles.

If you wish any more details, contact me. [email protected]

Charlie Leonard

Yes | No

Whoops!!-- Correction

Sorry-- I goofed a bit on sequences.

To remove the large bolt that secures the balancer, one MUST lock the engine. Use a piece of rope into a spark plug hole, ENSURING valves are closed on that cylinder.

Then, use a puller to remove the balancer. May require some of Bruce's TC-11 to loosen it.

Use rope again to install the large (24mm head) bolt, to lock the engine.

Registered Member
    Member No: 150266 tinker14bs is an unknown quantity at this point tinker14bs's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Whoops!!-- Correction

How do you use the rope? Just pack it in until there is no room? I guess I am just not understanding this very well.

Charlie Leonard

Yes | No

Further explanation.

Not a high tech process. I started with the right front piston at BDC, commencing on power stroke (all valves closed), and started stuffing the plastic rope into a spark plug hole. I used abt two feet of 5/16 polyethylene rope, stuffing as much as I could. Then commenced to remove the crank bolt. The piston came up somewhat and then was compressing the rope, preventing further rotation. Then, a huge neighbor and I put a long cheater onto a 1/2" drive breaker bar with 24 mm impact socket to remove the bolt.

Remove rope to allow free engine rotation for next steps

Then pull off all things such as water pump, thermostat, timing cover, sprockets, tensioners, guides, and chains, if one is replacing all of them as I did.

Then, one needs to put the bolt back into place to rotate the crank and align for inserting the positioning tool at the ring gear. With the aligning tool still in place, use the cam positioning tool, one bank at a time, install the new parts first on the left bank then on the right bank. When all the moving parts are installed, remove the positioning tools; flywheel and cam positioning.

Remove the crank bolt, install timing cover, etc., harmonic damper, and all the neat things the front.

Put rope back into a cylinder with all its valves closed. Install a new crank bolt with its necessary 285 lb-ft of torque.

I installed a new crank bolt; maybe not necessary to do so. It's an easier process to do than to describe. Logical disassemble/assemble with no hidden tricks.

dpath

Yes | No

Re: Further explanation.

Another option is to insert a 10mm bolt in the threaded hole in the torque converter plate. Email me if you need more detailed instructions on how to remove/replace the harmonic balancer.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Where is there a threaded hole on the torque converter plate?

dpath

Yes | No

Here's the first part of my instructions for removing/replacing the harmonic dampener/pulley:

1. Put car in neutral and attach a deep 15/16 6-point socket wrench to crank pulley bolt.
    2. Jack-up car high enough to gain access to the front of the transmission.
    3. Remove small (irregularly shaped) rubber cover from lower front of transmission.
    4. Rotate engine by hand until bolt hole in torque converter plate is visible in access opening.
    5. Secure drivetrain by threading 3 (or longer) 10mm bolt in visible bolt hole so that bolt sticks out access opening. (Bolt will stop against side of access opening when engine is rotated).

Let me know if you need more information.

tinker14bs

Yes | No

I need a can of gas and a match!

I started working on the car again after leaving it sit for two weeks. I was able to remove the bolt from the harmonic balancer, but using a puller it moved about 1/8" and will not budge form here. Is there another piece that has to be removed with the screw to get the balancer out? I am hating life and this car at this point!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 145873 Dennis07 is an unknown quantity at this point Dennis07's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: I need a can of gas and a match!

Don't know if this will help, but this post in the X_J_8 forum holds a pretty extensive set of notes on one guy's experience with the job:
    http://forums.roadfly.com/forums/jaguar/jaguar_xj8/7568147-1.html

Taken from it ...
    "Most difficult was getting the harmonic balancer off. It took a couple of hours as the puller I used was fairly long which made getting it on straight in the space difficult. The trick was to create a flat thrust surface on the front of the craknkshaft, using a bolt & a couple of large washers, for the puller to bear against. Once I did that the balancer pulled right off."

As to being rid of the car, I don't know how such things are handled in Texas. Now if you were here in NJ, there are people we could call ;~)

Good luck.

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 142182 ch193 is an unknown quantity at this point ch193's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: I need a can of gas and a match!

When I got to that point in disassembly, the harmonic balancer truly resented leaving its accustomed home. I tried heating; no go. Try some of Bruce Huddleston's TC-ll at the interface point. Works wonders! Great improvement over WD-40. The puller I used was a hell-for-stout forging with two bolts that thread into the balancer and a center bolt against the crank. I had to use a large stilson wrench to hold the puller, to counteract twisting. Otherwise, the through bolts to the balancer will twist badly. If you wish I'll send you a sketch or maybe a pic of the puller I used. It belongs to a fellow who was Shop Foreman at a M-Bz place years ago when I took my car there. A very impressive fellow. [email protected] After success, you'll love your car!!

Mark

Yes | No

Always use a puller to take a harmonic balancer off otherwise you could damage your crank shaft.

Harmonic balaancer information

Registered Member
    Member No: 156012 JagtechOhio is an unknown quantity at this point JagtechOhio's Avatar

Yes | No

Times a little tough there, Mark?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information