+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Member No: 130601 DannyZBMW is an unknown quantity at this point DannyZBMW's Avatar

Yes | No

Has anyone tried this on their 7?

Hi All,

Has anyone tried this on their 2006/2007 5/6/7 Series:

Insert the Key to into the key fob (DONíT HOLD THE BRAKE).
    Press the Start Button ONCE, just so the car electronics start and show the Engine light in on. (Again, Donít START the Engine).
    Press and HOLD the GAS PEDAL all the way to the force down click on the gas pedal for 25 seconds.
    After those 25 Seconds, proceed to Starting the Engine and drive your car.

Now, do you notice that the car responds better and shifts better, or is this just me????

I know, that in some Audi cars, you can reset the transmissions learning algorithm by doing this.

Thanks

Danny Z

Registered Member
    Member No: 106975 thx_yhoo_4_745Li is an unknown quantity at this point thx_yhoo_4_745Li's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Has anyone tried this on their 7?

doesn't the car always reset the transmissions learning algorithms when you start it up after it was off for a while?

2006 750i, European Delivery , De-badged , 20" style 32 BMW wheels , hardwired V1 and custom programmed, Nokia 6230 (fw 5.50) paired and cradled. Options/Pkgs: Sport pkg, Luxury Seating Pkg, Convinience Pkg, Premium Audio Pkg, Comfort Access, Power Rear Shades, Sat radio. European front plate

2003 Porsche 911 996 C2 Cabriolet 6spd. Power seats. Heated Seats. Xenon. Bose Surround Sound. SmartTOP. RemoteTOP. V1 hardwired. ROW M030. Aspheric mirrors.

Registered Member
    Member No: 103164 GeezTech is an unknown quantity at this point GeezTech's Avatar

Yes | No

No, the transmission adapts to your driving style

It always keep the "adaptaions" until either reprogrammed or the tech clears them out for some reason.

So if "Little Johnny" has been driving your car harder than normal then you may actually notice different shift patterns happening.

Registered Member
    Member No: 132994 duke4739 is an unknown quantity at this point duke4739's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: No, the transmission adapts to your driving style

Geez:

Does this little trick really work,and if not,is there someway a civilian can clear the adaptations? Would really like to know,the very few times the adaptions were cleared by dealer,the car responds much better for a short time.

Registered Member
    Member No: 132994 duke4739 is an unknown quantity at this point duke4739's Avatar

Yes | No

chibmwman

Yes | No

I would also like to know. My dealership won't reset mine and pretended they did not even know what I was talking about.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Well,I tried it,and,Damn,it sure feels like it works! Seems a little smoother,a little more responsive. I frequently drive in manual because I don't like the slow way "normal" responds. Feels more like "sport" mode.

Registered Member
    Member No: 103164 GeezTech is an unknown quantity at this point GeezTech's Avatar

Yes | No

I dont know if this works.........................

.........I have never heard of it but if it feels different then maybe it does?

Since we can do it through the service tester (chibman, you need to talk to a tech at the dealer, not the advisor) we have no need to do it this way.

I will try this next week as I can check the actual adaptations before and after trying this, I'll report back with what I find.

Registered Member
    Member No: 147274 Title35 is an unknown quantity at this point Title35's Avatar

Yes | No

Something happened...

I followed the instructions like a scientific protocol and yielded the proposed results.

In fact, if you check my old posts (which no one responded to) I cried about second gear shifts. My troubles have been remedied. Thanks for the new car!

When I was holding the gas pedal to the metal and counting out load like a mental patient, I patiently waited for my car to explode or flood or something bad. Suddenly around 20 seconds, I felt something in my foot. When I let up after the prescribed time period, I hit the Start button and braced myself for failure. Upon exiting the parking lot of the office, the car ran through the gears smooth as silk. Am I dreaming?? I thought I was just imagining it, because I wanted it to be better so badly. But even today on my way into the office, it drove like a new car. SERIOUSLY, I RECOMMEND THE PROTOCOL. (This is not legal advice.)

Thanks for the new car DANNY-Z!! I love it!!

2003 745LI; loaded and now with a new gear box!

Danny Z

Yes | No

Re: If It Worked, You're Welcome!

Registered Member
    Member No: 145996 DeYanko is an unknown quantity at this point DeYanko's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Has anyone tried this on their 7?

The noise sounds is like a high pitch whistle that increases with the rpms on the engine, it might not necessarily be coming from the alternator, but my past experiences with other vehicles it was the culprit. Usually feedback through the audio system.

FrankB

Yes | No

Thank you...what a difference !

I was just about to bring my 750 in for growling while stuck in 2nd gear. Now its dramatically different. Can't believe the dealer would not recommend this.

mochabean

Yes | No

Yup, does something...

I tried it and it seems to hold the lower gear a little longer on the upshift, shifts earlier (at lower speed) when downshifting.

Could it be the adptive transmission computer doesen't know if the engine is running or not? It just sees you've got your foot to the floor and adjusts to a more agressive shift pattern.

I'll try that again if the transmission feels too soft.

Thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 127352 SilverSaloon is an unknown quantity at this point SilverSaloon's Avatar

Yes | No

i think it works! Better MPG and SMOOTHER!

I tried this.

i am now getting 1 mpg extra on average & the car feels much smoother when shifting gears & it seems to change gears at better rev levels now (holds higher gear for longer, hence the mpg difference i assume)

worth a try imo.BMW E65 7 Series

Fully loaded with almost all extras

chibmwman

Yes | No

Hey there was an immediate difference

Seems that the car is in sports mode all the time, which is what I was looking for. Now half throttle is really half throttle and not the computer saying slow and steady acceleration...

mochabean

Yes | No

Confirmed MPG improvement

If you told me my MPG was going to improve by doing this, I would have thought the whole thing was a hoax.
    After about a week, I've noticed a 1 MPG improvement according to the iDrive screen. For my normal, stuck on the frreway doing 15 MPH commute, that's a 6% increase.
    Not bad considering I got a drivability improvement also.
    Why isn't the transmission programmed like that to begin with?

Registered Member
    Member No: 151567 GlideRide is an unknown quantity at this point GlideRide's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Something happened...

I followed the procedure today just to see what would happen. The car has a noticeably different shift pattern as described by others--it holds the gears to a higher RPM before the shift. It feels quite crisp. I plan a 1500 mile road trip beginning tomorrow and should get some general notion of whether the mileage has changed as a result of this "reprogram."

Registered Member

Yes | No

Hmmm, could be a "sugar pill" effect..............

....I finally checked a car today after doing this procedure and I cant find any evidence of the adaptations being cleared/changed in either the transmission or engine control modules.

I know most of you have reported back with the car "feeling" different, but I cant confirm what you are feeling, very strange as I thought I might see the adaptation numbers change when doing this.

There isn't any procedure in our shop manuals that is any where close to something like this, we do it all through the service tester electrically.

I'm not saying that nothing is happening when you do this, I just cant see the "proof" that something is changing.

Registered Member
    Member No: 127352 SilverSaloon is an unknown quantity at this point SilverSaloon's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Confirmed MPG improvement

yeah. My tank range has now gone from around 300 miles to 430

:)BMW E65 7 Series

Fully loaded with almost all extras

M5X3

Yes | No

Re: Hmmm, could be a sugar pill effect..............

Thanks for your feedback Geez Tech. I tried it and couldn't really feel the remarkable difference reported by others, just maybe a little closer to the sport mode until the transmission appeared to adapt to my driving style again. I have not seen any difference in mileage either - and I have recorded my mpg every fill-up since the car was new. I would have thought that such an easy process would have been highly advertised by BMW if it really improved performance and/or economy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information