+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Member No: 50215 joejensen is an unknown quantity at this point joejensen's Avatar

Yes | No

My transmission has relearned how to be bad :(

I am fairly unhappy with my transmission. The best way to describe it is when I pull away from a stop, it feels like an old automatic that low on fluid. The engine RPMs climb without the car moving much, and then it drops into 1st gear and gives you minor whiplash. I've had it to the dealer a couple of times and when I get it back it's better for a week or so and then the problem gradually comes back. I tried this method about a week ago and it fixed the problem, but now it's gradually coming back. I'd swear it's low on fluid, but the dealer says no. If not fluid, it seems to be some odd programming behavior in when the transmission downshifts. It must assume I want to start in second, but then just as I start to press the accelerator, it downshifts. I find myself hesitating every time I start from a stop just to avoid the whiplash thing. It's not 100% predictable, it's really bad maybe 1 out of 50 starts, medium bad 20 out of 50, minor 20 out of 50, and non-existant the rest.

I am REALLY hoping my 2007 doesn't exhibit this behavior. I won't let it continue with the new car...joe

Registered Member
    Member No: 103164 GeezTech is an unknown quantity at this point GeezTech's Avatar

Yes | No

You are confiriming what "should" be happening....

.....when doing this procedure as the somehow the adaptations are being cleared even though I dont see what I expect when checking the module itself.

What you are experiencing is typical trans behavior after the adaptations are cleared out, a previous shifting problem has changed and it is better until the adaptations start re-learn or reset.
    Sometimes is the drivers driving style, but not what you are doing to cause it to start off in 2nd gear as you describe.
    Do you do alot of "rolling" stops? If equipped do you drive in sport mode often?
    No need to dwell on it with your '07 arriving, but I'm surprised the dealer didn't do more to fix it as it doesn't sound right if this was actually starting in 2nd from a dead stop.

For grins, when this is happening, push the L/D or S-M-D(push this one twice) button, depending on which system you have and see what gear it is in when at a stop. It should be L1.

Registered Member
    Member No: 103164 GeezTech is an unknown quantity at this point GeezTech's Avatar

Yes | No

Your welcome, it probably does work ,however......

...I just cant see the proof as to what it is doing.
    Maybe once I own my own and I am used to it then I can try it and see if there are any changes.:)

Registered Member
    Member No: 50215 joejensen is an unknown quantity at this point joejensen's Avatar

Yes | No

Interestng

I'm fairly sure the car starts almost alwasys starts from a dead stop in second. The only time it starts in first (other than when in sport mode) is when I park at the airport. I assume it's because I drive up a circular ramp. The car can be off for days, but when I get it, it's starts in first, and holds first for much longer than expected (car parked on level space, and then when I am driving around on a level lot) The transmission is great in sport mode.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Also, I do rolling stops in parking lots only

Registered Member
    Member No: 132994 duke4739 is an unknown quantity at this point duke4739's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Your welcome, it probably does work ,however......

Seriously folks,it works. I think it clears the adaptations. Now,that may be in the transmission and/or it may be in the electronic gas pedal,or both. It's not fabulous,but MUCH better. Smoother,doesn't upshift too early on light throttle application,downshifts in a timely matter,doesn't slam into 1st at stop and goes,performs the way it was probably intended to do. It feels like when it was brand new and "unadapted". My 2002 suffered from this problem and my 2000 also suffered from it. In fact,my dealer service tech "cleared" the adaptations on the 2000 when it was in for service and told me he had done it and said "see what you think" . It was much better,and then slowly went back to mediocre. I drive the 2006 in manual frequently so that I can shift when I want it to,or more like I would like it to. Now it pretty much shifts that way. It's more sensitive to the gas pedal. Also,I do the little "reprogram trick" every week or two.

Sorry to be long winded,but this has meant a great deal to my driving enjoyment.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Not doubting that it does as too..................

....many have reported back with positive results.

I just cant see what is changing when looking into the control modules, the adaptation numbers are all staying the same. There isn't a adaptation for the gas pedal itself, but there is for the throttle motor. But to reset that, or what we call initializing, you have to leave the key on for about 20 seconds. But it mainly just learn the stop of the throttle plate which is only used on cold starts or emergency operation. So it shouldn't have any real affect on regular throtle control.

Since you do this routine so often you dont give it a chance to go back to its old habits, as it probably will if you let it go longer before doingthis procedure.

Title35

Yes | No

I agree. Something changed for the better.

mochabean

Yes | No

Re: Geez tech, did you try this on an early E65?

Did BMW clean up the transmission programming in later years? My 02 is much better, just like when I get it back after the software is reloaded. What year did you test?

I used to get the car back from the dealer and think the latest software version fixed the shifting. Then I find it back to the way it was after a few weeks. Now I run through this procedure once a week and forget about my transmission complaints.

Registered Member
    Member No: 148255 neillr is an unknown quantity at this point neillr's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Geez tech, did you try this on an early E65?

2003 - I am sure it works, can't see how or why but the 1st-2nd change is a lot better and the thing feels smoother, however after two weeks (2000 miles) it is back to original. MPG has gone from 33.3 - 36.2, however a trip into service has dropped it to 35.7mpg. I wondered what they were upto?

Registered Member

Yes | No

It may have been a '04

The reason your feels different after programming is that the adaptations are cleared if the trans module was done.

Registered Member
    Member No: 139393 csipich is an unknown quantity at this point csipich's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Has anyone tried this on their 7?

Worked great on my 2002. Any more Easter eggs?

Registered Member

Yes | No

Well, I tried this on a "problem" car.............

....and it didn't work.
    This had terrible 2-1 shift, it felt like a truck hit you every time, so we tried this procedure and it didn't chnage the shift.
    So we did it our way using a service tester and the problem was gone, this helped show me that the problem could be improved by the adaptations being cleared, which this procedure at the top of the thread seems to be doing, but it also confirms why I didn't see any changes after doing the way here.
    Still very strange.

Registered Member
    Member No: 153119 soccerref07 is an unknown quantity at this point soccerref07's Avatar

Yes | No

Just tried it on my 2007 750LI, and what a difference in the
    behavior of the transmission. Much smoother, more like when I have the
    car running in sport mode. Don't know why BMW doesn't recommend doing this, let everyone know about this "feature".

Registered Member
    Member No: 151720 Daddyad is an unknown quantity at this point Daddyad's Avatar

Yes | No

Do you hold the pedal to the point right before the force down click or do you hold it at the point just after the force down click? Thanks in advance.

Registered Member
    Member No: 182454 66sal is an unknown quantity at this point 66sal's Avatar

Yes | No

i have a 02 745 with the same noise and it was the upper belt.

Registered Member
    Member No: 182454 66sal is an unknown quantity at this point 66sal's Avatar

Yes | No

Remy 7 series has a leak on the alternator?

i have a 02 745li and the alternator has a leak im wondering if i could fix it with out buying another one?

beamer1

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Yes | No

dose it work on the 2003 745i or 2010 750Li? thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 122031 hellsredsled is an unknown quantity at this point hellsredsled's Avatar

Yes | No
    Did it today and seems to hold shifts to a higher rpm than before. Kind of like sport mode....
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 72.199.17.199

MirM

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Yes | No

It worked for me!

My transmission used to kick just before stopping and it fixed it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 67.170.214.43

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information