+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 150929 Brysegal is an unknown quantity at this point Brysegal's Avatar

Yes | No

Active Steering

I am in the process of searching for a used 645 coupe. I found one with low miles and everything I wanted EXCEPT that I don't believe it has active steering (I will have my BMW dealer confirm when I have them check the car out). How important an option is active steering? Will I notice that I don't have it and will I really want it. All things considered I think the price I will be paying is really good ($52k for an '05, 8k miles, 19" wheels, prem sound, sat radio), but if I really need the active steering i will keep looking. Any thoughts/advice (on the price too) would be much appreciated Thanks very much in advance.

Registered Member
    Member No: 26083 r.merkle is an unknown quantity at this point r.merkle's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Active Steering

drive it and see how it feels to you. your the most important person. do you really need it no!

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

In a MY04 and MY05 ALL BMWNA 645s came with active steering IF they had the "Sports Package". Only in MY06 and beyond could the USA folks order AS separate from Sports Package.

I would never say AS is a deal breaker either way unless you track the car. Most folks that would track a car would say h*ll no to AS.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Logic 7, HUD, Cold Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Aux, BT w/ snap-in adapter, V1, CIP 21.03 w/MP3 enabled

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 99662 KathyO is an unknown quantity at this point KathyO's Avatar

Yes | No

I had it one my '04 645 and LOVED IT - but some people don't like it. My new '07 650 doesn't have it - I love both vehicles. BMW steering is great, even without the active steering, so you can't go wrong.

I have heard that some cars with active steering experience uneven tire wear...

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 99662 KathyO is an unknown quantity at this point KathyO's Avatar

Yes | No

one more comparison

Having now driven a 650 WITHOUT active steering for a couple of weeks, and having driven a 645 WITH active steering for a couple of years - I have one additional comment.

I don't know if this is technically true, but I believe that the steering radius turn is a bit tighter with Active Steering. There are two places - in my parking garage - where I could make hairpin turns in my 645 with Active Steering and did not have to juggle back and forth, and have found it not possible to make those some hairpin turns in the 650. I believe everything else about the vehicle is the same size - no change in wheel base, etc., so i am suspecting that slight differential is due to the steering change.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information