+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 151196 reefbreak is an unknown quantity at this point reefbreak's Avatar

Yes | No

Question about 645/650 Vert. as a Daily Driver

Am looking hard at a slightly used or new 6 series to replace an SUV as my daily driver (i only have one vehicle). living in san diego, the vert. over the coupe seems like the right choice, however, i've always viewed convertibles as "weekend" cars, and not daily drivers. test drives give a limited long term perspective, so i was curious if there were any convertible owners who use their car as a daily drive, and if they have any regrets or feedback. thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 146755 Centerplate is an unknown quantity at this point Centerplate's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Question about 645/650 Vert. as a Daily Driver

Hi. Wow, I drive my 650 conv. every day and find it wonderful. I'm not lucky enough to live in SD, off by only one alphabet letter (I live in SC), but I put the top down anytime it's 60 degrees or higher. What a great car.
    '07 Cab, manual, silver w/gray top, chateau, light wood, night vision, HUD, iPod, Sirius, HD radio, sport pckg, adaptive cruise, star-spoke 92 wheels, Passport SR7

Registered Member
    Member No: 140295 AndrewDP is an unknown quantity at this point AndrewDP's Avatar

Yes | No

I have no hesitations recommending the 6 conv as a daily driver. I live in Boston and got winter wheels and tires for the car, but you can save that $3000+ expense. Never did have to drive it in snow, as we had very little this winter, but its perfect balance with the right tires allows one to drive one daily even in wintry climes. I was in LA last week where there is no shortage of Aston Martins and Bentley GT's etc, and must say that the 6 sport convertible is still a stunning design for half or less the price of the others.

Registered Member
    Member No: 46312 asstdean is an unknown quantity at this point asstdean's Avatar

Yes | No

Reef- I went from an X5 4.4 to a 650 vert a little over a year ago. I miss the utility of the X5 (we have two big dogs, but also have a Volvo wagon to haul them around), and in bad weather I felt more secure in the X5 (roads flood here with only a couple of inches of rain, and the 650 is pretty low); but the 6 has been my daily driver the entire tme. If it is dry out and above 40, the top is down. It is a beautiful car, handles extrmely well, and I have no regrets. My commute is about a half hour each way. I'm having some service done so I've been driving a big pick-up for a couple of days- can hardly wait to get the 6 back.

All that said, I'm trying to decide if I can keep the 6 AND get a new X5 4.8 a little further down the road.

Registered Member
    Member No: 151477 jmpr is an unknown quantity at this point jmpr's Avatar

Yes | No

As a daily driver my 645 vert is fantastic, just realize that, as your only car, there is virtually NO legroom in the back.

Registered Member
    Member No: 34384 blee is an unknown quantity at this point blee's Avatar

Yes | No

G Smith - I think you may be my evil twin. Like you I recently went from an X5 4.4 to a 650 vert, and my wife also happens to drive an '07 Volvo XC-70 wagon. We only have one big dog, though...a Golden Retriever. He gets to go in the 650 occasionally, and I think he actually enjoys the top down experience as much as I do :-)

Registered Member
    Member No: 151196 reefbreak is an unknown quantity at this point reefbreak's Avatar

Yes | No

thanks for the information. i originally bought the SUV to haul surfboards around in, but when i moved to SD, i found a place where i am able to surf most of the time right where i live... very sweet. so, i really am not using the SUV as i orginally intended. from all the feedback i have gotten, the vert. will be just fine as a daily commuter. i may even get a beater pickup or something for days when i need some extra room, or for when it does rain here in SD. now, just need to figure out lease vs. buy, manual vs. auto. at least i know the colors and i want the sport package.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information