+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 13152 TopazM3 is an unknown quantity at this point TopazM3's Avatar

Yes | No

Sagging door trim

It's falling down again after 2 glue repairs. Guess I might have to replace it. Is there any particular difficulty or tools required? Is this the right part #? 51717161688. Any place to get it for less $? TIA

DoubleApexCa

Yes | No

I used 3M Weatherstripping Adhesive (08008)

I picked up a 5oz. tube of it at the local NAPA auto store for about $12 (CDN).

The 3M Id# is: 60-9800-3122-7

Follow the instructions, support with masking tape until it sets, and you're done. I did this last summer and it's still holding strong.

Hope this helps.

Regards
    Glenn

DoubleApexCa

Yes | No

P.S. >>>>>

For it to work properly, I had to clean off any old adhesive that was on the trim/frame with isopropyl alcohol first.

Good Luck!
    Glenn

Registered Member
    Member No: 31107 mhelie is an unknown quantity at this point mhelie's Avatar

Yes | No

+1

Registered Member
    Member No: 13152 TopazM3 is an unknown quantity at this point TopazM3's Avatar

Yes | No

Did all that.. Fallen again

mechy

Yes | No

I used silicone RTV adhesive....

It's been two years now without any issues. I've tried other glues, but this seems to be the best.

Joe Public

Yes | No

Re: Sagging door trim

This problem happened to my 2004 330ci on the passenger side. The felt trim forward of the overhead handle just popped off from the rubber door seal on the hottest day in London. The trim is quite taut, and there's no way to stick it back using glue without a clamp or something to hold the trim in place while the glue dries. Even then the trim will constantly pull on the rubber and eventually tear the glued surfaces apart again.

I used no-more-nails/liquid-nails at the beginning and tried to hold the trim in place. But it would take so long for this stuff to dry that it simply wouldn't work. Now I made a total mess of it because the stuff is white in colour and the b*tch trim is hanging lose with the white stuff showing on the gluing surfaces.

This is seriously p*ssing me off as this is a design fault, and I would have to pay around 500GBP plus my lost time to get the whole door seal plus trim replaced at a dealer. I don't really feel BMW or their dealers deserve my money because for all I know this could be a deliberate flaw for them to make money.

Anyway I spent a whole day searching for a super glue that is strong enough and dry fast enough to fix the trim quickly. I had considered the messy 2 part epoxy glues. Then I would have to buy a small artist's brush to apply the glue. The whole thing is a hassle and there's no guarantee of success because the trim would just keep pulling on the gluing surfaces.

After a lot of thinking time, I think I have finally found the solution. I had on various occasions used the bathroom silicone sealant to stick things together, and it comes in a translucent/transparent colour. The bond created by the sealant is quite strong and lasts for very long time. All I have to do now is cut the loose hanging trim somewhere innocuous like above the passenger's head. The cut would eliminate the trim's pull on the glue. Then I can use the sealant to glue the trim back easily. The cut in the trim would probably open a small gap. I'll be happy to live with that and I might just fill it with the transparent sealant if the gap is small enough.

DoubleApexCa

Yes | No

On another thread, others have tried....

Others seem to have had good success with either of the following products.

a) Loctite Extreme, or
    b) Gorilla Glue

There's a discussion on it on another thread, here...
    http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums...8969894-1.html

Hope this helps
    Glenn

GOM3

Yes | No

Hmmm mine was fine!

Registered Member
    Member No: 25033 Codeboy is an unknown quantity at this point Codeboy's Avatar

Yes | No

What took you so long to reply? ;)

Nosewheelie

Yes | No

Re: Sagging door trim - Gorilla Glue

I've tried CA before with mixed results. I used Gorilla Glue with come clothes pins to hold trim in place - working great! Just use sparingly and make sure to dampen the surfaces - I just used an old sponge.

Registered Member
    Member No: 116237 635wpb is an unknown quantity at this point 635wpb's Avatar

Yes | No

Whats worse your door or the Mrs?

bfhnxfinwe

Yes | No

Re: Sagging door trim

wuydddukowzzlzy http://osuqhwybaqcfdbf.com oyjvdsmpltvvtwv

mechy

Yes | No

I used silicone RTV four years ago..still holding!

Registered Member
    Member No: 24397 Dyavalon is on a distinguished road Dyavalon's Avatar

Yes | No

I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

I have tried and failed many times to repair these. Latest attempt was double stick tape, failed in days. Should have guessed.

I believe my failure is related to technique, and not adhesive.

My first question is: Do you garage your car the majority of the time, or do you live in an area where you do not regularly see high temperatures, or much direct sunlight? I believe that my outdoor parking and high levels of sun, and relatively high heat might be contributing to higher failure rates.

In my previous attempts (especially with the 3M weatherstrip adhesive, and later with epoxy), I had the window down, and used blue painters tape to secure the trim to the car. I am wondering if the window should be up, that way the trim seats more naturally with the position of the glass. Same goes for the door on the sides. I secured the trim with tape, with the door opened until the adhesive cured. I am thinking it would seat more naturally with the door closed.

Can you elaborate on your technique that has worked successfully?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information