+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Guidance

Registered Member
    Member No: 151446 z84me2 is an unknown quantity at this point z84me2's Avatar

Yes | No

Guidance

Hi everyone. I recently discovered this board as a followup to my new interest in the Z8. I guess I am in dream mode now, however, if the urge overwhelms me I just might push the sell button on my online stock account and arm myself for the big move. And would like to say that I appreciate all the informative posts here as they certainly have been helpful.

I do have a couple of questions that I hope someone here could give me some guidance on.

1. Being that I live in California, would the more stringent smog requirements here create a problem with buying an out of state car? And getting it smog certified here, any ideas on cost and/or whats involved?

2. EBAY seems to be competive. Certainly much better that Crevier BMW or other local dealer Z8's. Any thoughts here?

Thanks again.
    Movin' up from a 73 911 ! Can't wait.

Registered Member
    Member No: 105423 Musta10000 is an unknown quantity at this point Musta10000's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Guidance

Hope you take the plunge - a lot more information can be found at:

http://www.bmwz8.us

Orcatek

Yes | No

Re: Guidance

Not sure about Z8 smog, but due to the limited production I do not believe there are any Z8 california smog versions.

Ebay is always a concern. You really need to check a car out. While most Z8s are in very good condition, there are still a few bad ones out there. The biggest concern would be the few with strut tower damage - that even the owner may be unaware of if they do not follow the message boards. BMW has a fix to prevents this for those who are concerned. Very few cars have had the problem, but if it is bad it can be VERY expensive to fix.

Also check the other link for info on this and other questions you might have.

Registered Member
    Member No: 44681 Z8Bob is an unknown quantity at this point Z8Bob's Avatar

Yes | No

All Z8s are 50 state versions

There are no special issues with bringing in an out of state vehicle. You will need a smog test to license the vehicle here.

The Caveat Emptor applies with any eBay purchase. The strut tower issue is a unique issue for the E52.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks

That way easy! Since I now feel a little lucky might as well share my next concern. Is there a more preferable year? Does not look like much changed in the four years, but I bet I'm wrong here. (excluding the automatic Alpina).

Registered Member
    Member No: 44681 Z8Bob is an unknown quantity at this point Z8Bob's Avatar

Yes | No

Very small changes

Early M5s and Z8s had VANOS control issues in 2000 Models on the S62 motors. There were also some isolated issues with motor mounts and suspension bushings as well. BMW has stood behind repairing those items on this flagship car.

The 2003 models had DVD NAV (prior models used CDs and you had to have the proper disk for your region of the country rather than a single USA DVD). The 2003 did not come with a windscreen and the soft-top cover was vinyl as opposed to leather in the 2000. the 2003 came with a 4-year/50K warranty (which will be over shortly if not already past). Earlier models had a 3-year.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Ebay

Thank you for your reply and the cautionary note. Can't help but be somewhat tempted by ebay, however, as you never know how bad someone needs some cash and is willing to liquidate. The current listing there, the 2001 with about 18,000 miles is a re-listing. It was listed last week and only achieved a maximum bid of $54,433! Maybe Florida cars are suspect. I was the $54,333 bidder. I do see where asset valuations across the board might be coming under pressure. If I can be patient, I might be rewarded. Happy driving!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks for the link

More reading. I see with all the accessory options I will have to keep spending money. Maybe not. After all, a 135 hp 1973 911T kept me happy for a long time. Actually, one could get into trouble with that car. Best part was that no cops were envious. Never got a ticket in it!

Registered Member
    Member No: 41339 joea2 is an unknown quantity at this point joea2's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Ebay

Make sure the Vin number does not end in lower than 60030. There are "Driving Experience" cars out there with low, very hard, miles on them.[IMG]

Registered Member
    Member No: 112123 Z8NY is an unknown quantity at this point Z8NY's Avatar

Yes | No

eBay

$54,000?

Good luck finding one with low miles for under $80,000. $54,000 would be the deal of the century if the car is undamaged. If you can find one with the "Performance Upgrade"...all the better. I've seen 35K+ mileage cars go in the mid-$70s

Low mileage '01s that are in good shape fetch over $90K. The '02s under 10K miles push $100K and the '03s are over $100K.

Autotrader should give you an idea of what the market is like. There's usually 30-40 on there at any given time whereas eBay usually has less than 10.

Hell, for the right price I'll sell you my '01. It has 8,900 miles and BMW did the performance upgrade for me last year. I need a car with a backseat for my two boys and I have no more garage space.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: eBay...My "right price" or your "right price"?

Yes, and that week that that 2001 maxed out on ebay at 54,444 it had only 14 bids. There were about 10 other z8's to bid on also. Fast forward this week when it was re-listed and recently ended, there were only three available when the listing expired. It had over 30 bids and I believe the ending price was about 72,000. The reserve was not met. I guess competion is good from my perspective. So......now how much do you want for a fast, easy sale?

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Ebay Great advice.

Most appreciated.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I guess that depends...

Somewhere between the two probably, but likely a lot closer to mine than yours based on the numbers your talking about.

Give me your email when you get a chance and I'll let you know.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: I guess that depends...

Thank you for the offer, but I think I will wait a while and monitor ebay, where, if you do decide to list it, I can follow it there. Anyways, it seems that you want close to market and for me, that takes all of the "fun" out of the purchase. Wouldn't even enjoy driving it that much either. I guess its the chase, as usual.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Yes

You're correct. Selling well below market does not interest me and I won't be listing it on eBay.

Good luck finding someone that wants to give one away for the prices you're talking about. Car dealers will pay a lot more than what you think you're going to get one for.

If you want to pay less than $60K I suggest that you wait a few more years and try to find one with 100,000+ miles on it.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Yes

Jack, thanks again for your offer and I do appreciate it. Your low mileage car must be quite nice. I can see where selling a car on ebay can be challenging if both buyer and seller do not really want to sell. Actually, most auctions that I have tracked end up with the reserve price not being met. Have you noticed how basic late model 911's are lacking bids. And Farrari's..... recently saw a 2004 Maranello with a start bid of $35,000 and a "Buy it now" of $179,000. Guess what? Listing expired with no bids at all. What a beautiful car. So anyways, here I sit and wait.

Registered Member

Yes | No

eBay

"Both buyer and seller don't really want to sell"? I have no idea what you're talking about.

Many (probably most) high-end cars on eBay aren't sold via auction. People go check them out and make offers in person and then the auction expires or is delisted. I even bought a car that way.

And by the way, just because a Maranello's highest bid was $35,000 doesn't mean that that car will ever sell for that price (or triple that price for that matter). That's why people set reserves. If someone is desperate to sell an exotic they'll take the car to a dealer or to Manheim auto auction and get a wholesale price.

But please let me know when you buy an exotic car on eBay for 30% below wholesale. I want to hear that story.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: eBay..Jack

Jack. I believe that you will find your buyer. I believe that I will find my "seller". Thanks for your time.

Registered Member

Yes | No

NoZ84u

I crack myself up.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: NoZ84u...Funny, but no cookie!

Ebay. Why not for you?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information