+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 130385 Maverick630 is an unknown quantity at this point Maverick630's Avatar

Yes | No

Oil level problem

I recently changed my engine oil myself at about 9k miles. I only put about 8 quarts of oil in there and the oil level display showed it to be at max. After driving a couple weeks, I checked again and it says it is too high. I checked again in a couple days and it said it is at max again. I drained some oil today and again it says it is too high. Anyone ever experienced this? Anyone know if the sensor could be a problem or if in needs to be reset? Without a dip stick I have no way of knowing where the oil level really is.

Thanks in advance.

Registered Member
    Member No: 103164 GeezTech is an unknown quantity at this point GeezTech's Avatar

Yes | No

Which model car? Are you updating it?

“Don't argue with idiots, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Find the problem first! Dont spend $$$$$ on parts you may not need.

'87 325is The best ever
    '76 2002 The worst ever
    ALUMINUM BUMPER APPRECIATION ASSOCIATION (ABAA)
    Membership ID (00302)
    Joined September 14, 2005

The secret to my success

Registered Member
    Member No: 130385 Maverick630 is an unknown quantity at this point Maverick630's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Which model car? Are you updating it?

It is a 2006 650i, manual transmission. I have not done anything to the car except this oil change. Everything is as it was when I bought it through European Delivery.
    I am not sure what you mean by updating ?

Registered Member
    Member No: 103164 GeezTech is an unknown quantity at this point GeezTech's Avatar

Yes | No

Dang, cant rememebr right if it is the same procedure as a M6, but you can check the owners manual to e sure.

In the 650i it may update itself, the engine has to be warm and idling, then you check it in the i-drive.

Main menu>info sources(top of screen)>service>get cursor on middle bar>scroll to check oil level.

I think the 650 you only have to cycle the key for about 30 seconds then it will update on restart.
    The M6 you have to use the BC button the turn signal switch and scroll to the oil level gauge in the cluster then push and hold the BC button for the system to update.
    Yours may not have this.

But it may still have a dipstick, it has a black cap on it and it is at the drivers rear of the engine cover. It may also be real tight the first time you pull it out.

If all seems ok then maybe you have a sensor problem.

Just so you know oil changes are covered under the warranty maintenence program (free), even low mileage oil changes at the 1 year mark.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks for the information. I still don't understand what you mean by cycling the key. What does that mean? I have driven the car many times since I changed the oil and every time I start the car I checked the oil level. Would this be considered cycling the key?

I was able to find the dipstick in the area you mentioned and yes, it was hard to take out the first time but I managed to pull it off. It actually showed the oil level to be below the MAX line, but the screen inside the car still showed it to be too high.

So I guess it either needs some sort of resetting as you explained before and I was not able to do or the sensor could be defective. I am not sure. But at least I can drive in peace now and not worry that the oil is too high or too low and harm the engine. I only recently learned that high levels of oil can be very damaging to the engine. I never knew that.

Thanks again.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Cycling= turning key on and off

Since the dipstick reads low and the electric one reads high, you should be ok for now but you should probably set an appointment to have the level verified.

They will tell you NOT to use the dipstick, but since it is there it helps to give you an idea.

I will try to check some cars tomorrow and see how they are on the dipstick compared to the electronic gauge.

Being a half to one quart overful isn't the end of the world, it may foam up the oil a little but it shouldn't damage anything.

But maybe being 2 to 3 quarts overfull, that could be a different story.

User Level 1
    Member No: 189617 Monte.Price98 is an unknown quantity at this point Monte.Price98's Avatar

Yes | No
    so nice post here, I like its very much thanks you all.........
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 119.30.47.75

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information