+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 86565 goalie27 is an unknown quantity at this point goalie27's Avatar

Yes | No

iPod, Once More . . . .

OK, this subject has been discussed before, but I'm interested if anything ahs changed. My 2006 650i Convertible is a May 2006 build. When I asked what it would cost to have my iPod integrated into iDrive (via the 6CD changer input), I was told by my BMW dealer that the parts and labor would come to approx. $750. I didn't want to write that check then, and don't want to write it now. Does anyone with a MY2006 650i have any ideas as to cost nowadays for the BMW medthod of installation(I understand the cost is lower for MY2007s because they have a special input mecjhanism of some sort)? Is the do-it-yourself approach safe, and what is the cost savings? What other choices do I have to hear my iPod through the car w/o having a ton of wires or some odd contraption visible in the passenger compartment? Help!

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: iPod, Once More . . . .

Simple DIY of the iPod unit posted here on forum. If you can play MP3 in your single in-dash player, you will not even require dealer intervention. If not MP3 capable then I would suggest you get that done first (making no mention of your intent to go iPod). That should be free retrofit. After that is done then do your DIY. It really is not that hard. I do not have iPod otherwise I would have done this already. You can use Roundel or Bimmer magazine to find BMW dealers around the US that discount parts and order your iPod kit from them. Or if u r BMWCCA member your dealer may give you 10-20% discount on the retail price of kit ~$400 maybe more or less.

Do a search for iPod to find the DIY efforts of others and see how simple it is. Can be done without even removing glovebox as some have now found out.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Logic 7, HUD, Cold Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Aux, BT w/ snap-in adapter, V1, CIP 21.03 w/MP3 enabled

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information