+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 3837 entidine is an unknown quantity at this point entidine's Avatar

Yes | No

Questions about the M6 convertible

I had a chance to drive an M6 convertible for a couple of days recently. Awesome car. But I have a few questions.

1. Does the redline change as the oil heats up? It looks like the red line can adjust itself from 6000 rpm to 8250.

2. Is the M6 only offered with SMG? Any plans to offer a proper 6 speed like they did in M5?

3. Through the iDrive you can select the full 500 hp or 430 hp, correct? Does this process just shut down two cylinders? I'm not clear on what the computers are doing here.

4. The M6 convertible weighs 500 lb more than the coupe. I understand the coupe has a carbon fiber roof to save weight, but does the convertible include any extra chasis reinforcements to stiffen the body? An additional 500 lbs seems like a lot for the rag top.

That's all, like I said it's a great ride. More car than I'll ever be able to afford, but at least I got to "drive it like a rental" for a couple of days.

If anything I wrote here is off the mark please tell me. I know very little about this car except for having driven it. i didn't even have the time to open the owner's manual. : )

TIA

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Questions about the M6 convertible

1) No change in red line. What you see is "recommended" not to exceed RPMS using white hatch marks leading up to Red Line. Start out when cold further away from red line and as engine warms up they gradually disappear giving the illusion of getting ever closer to red line. Limiter would NOT kick in as it does at real redline.

2) 6-sp offered in NA, if not now, then in spetember. M5 already has the 6-sp.

3) Just a remap but all 10 cyl are firing. NOt just through iDrive. Actual button on center console that you can press immediately after engine start. Of course during break-in period it is not recommended and some functions are not enabled until you get you 1200 mile service.

4)Stiffening plus electro/hydralics for top, and top. In fact special welds/attachments are made in the A and B pillars and rocker panel that require more modern welding equipment than required on the coupe.

_______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Logic 7, HUD, Cold Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Aux, BT w/ snap-in adapter, V1, CIP 21.03 w/MP3 enabled

Registered Member
    Member No: 3837 entidine is an unknown quantity at this point entidine's Avatar

Yes | No

Great, thanks so much!

Okay, I got it now, makes sense.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information