+ Reply to Thread
    Dave S

Yes | No

Parking brake on '73 tii stuck?

I pulled my '73 tii into the garage for the winter. I ran the engine over the winter. But to my surprise, when I tried to pull the car out in the spring, the car wouldn't budge. It's not the engine. It purrs like a kitten. But when I put the car in reverse and try to pull out, the brakes are stuck and I can't tell whether it's the parking brake or exactly what it is. What would the symptoms of the parking brake being stuck vs. the regular brake(s) being stuck? If it's the parking brake, is there a way to just clip the cable so I can get it to my mechanic? When I try to go in reverse, the left front of the car tends to dip and the right rear tends to rise up (or vice-versa, I don't remember, but it's one way or the other, and it definitely gives the feeling that one wheel simply won't turn).

Thanks. As you can probably tell, I'm not the most mechanically inclined guy in the world...

Registered Member
    Member No: 21410 02Les is an unknown quantity at this point 02Les's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Parking brake on '73 tii stuck?

Probably the rear shoes stuck to the inside of the drums (especially if you had the handbrake left on for months).
    Try (carefully) to drive the car forwards/backwards to see if the shoes will break free, if not, jack up the rear, remove the wheels and pound on the drums with a rubber/wooden mallet.

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

Jack up the car, take off the wheel and rock the

keyed hub nut back and forth with a large wrench to break the shoes free of the drum. I did this last week. Mine had a leaky wheel cylinder and had sat for some time and stuck.

Dave S

Yes | No

Re: Jack up the car, take off the wheel and rock the

Still haven't gotten around to this project, but I can confirm that it's the right rear tire that rises and the left front of the car that dips when I try to pur it in reverse.

So, again, not being the most mechanically inclined guy in the world, based on the fact that it's the right rear that's rising, would this indicate that the rear brake drum that's stuck is the right? Or would it be the left? Thanks for the help guys...I'm willing to try this on my own, but I'd hate to try it on the wrong one...

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information