+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 153254 neobmw is an unknown quantity at this point neobmw's Avatar

Yes | No

2001 750il vs 740il 0-60 time?

i'm shopping and have a few questions regarding 740il and 750il.

1. 0-60 time for 740il and 750il? i'd like to know both the official time by bmw and general consensus of the board

2. i'm considering 2001 cuz it's the last production year and i assume that it would be most trouble-free...correct?

thanks!

BOISE DJ

Yes | No

Re: 2001 750il vs 740il 0-60 time?

Not sure about the times btwn 750 and 740. I would assume the 750 might be faster since it's got more horses, however you have to get the heavier bucket down the road and the 740 is a tad bit lighter but not by much. I test drove a 750 a while back. Whoo hoo does get up and go. However my 2KiL does the same and enjoy it.

As for 2001 being the lastest and last model for this product line not being trouble free or not as troublesome as earlier models. They all pretty much have either normal wear and tear issues or driver related maintenance issues, driver related issues or manufacture defects. The radiator system problems have been going on since the 80's and in other product lines, not just only on the e38 but other 3, 5 and 7 series cars. I had mine replaced last year at $600 for the whole system. The same holds true for the missing pixel display for the intrument cluster. I had mine replaced by contacting BMWNA with a cost of about $100. Some people got away with a good deal like that and some didn't. I think it depends on the year of the car and milage. And there are other issues and have been seen as well. Check out e38.org for good info on this.

Were all here to help each other no matter how good or bad the cars may or may not get. I just replaced my High Pressure Steering Hose at the garage with an oil change for about $500. Unfortunetaly the indy couldn't get the part else where so he had to get from the stealer at $240. Keep away from the dealers unless you really have to go to them. Find a good, honest and reliable independent to do your work. I should have looked here to find a better deal on the hose but it was leaking and needed replacement, just one of those things. If you buy a BMW, it has another meaning, Bring Money Willingly! Let us know what you get and post pics. I like 750, has more bells and whisles but the 740s are just as good. I love mine!

Registered Member
    Member No: 30574 jle38 is an unknown quantity at this point jle38's Avatar

Yes | No

Negligible difference between the two

Depending on which publication you read, here are the 0 ~ 60 mph numbers I've seen,

2001 740iL - 6.8 ~ 7.0 seconds
    2001 750iL - 6.6 ~ 6.8 seconds
    2001 740i Sport - 5.9 ~ 6.3 seconds (note the 740i Sport is equipped different from 740iL Sport Package. The Sport Pakcage of 740iL, with the exception of lighter weight forged M Parallel wheels, are cosmetic difference from standard 740iL).

The 750iL will pull slowly and steadily away from 740iL on higher speed.

JL

2001ath750i

Yes | No

750i is faster than 740i after 160KM/hr by a longw

750i E38 is much faster than 740i E38 after 100mph / 160km/hr by a long shot. The difference is unbelievable. If you run high speed on the highways i.e. in Europe, and can afford the fuel, go with the 750 M73, you can't go wrong. You have the intake manifold gaskets to worry about on the M73, but aside from that it's bulletproof.

I would never go back to M62-M60 after my M73. I have had both vehicles and I can definitely say that M73 is significantly better from a NVH (noise, vibration, harsness), and performance aspect.

Of course the M62 V8 will consume much less fuel, but if you can afford to roll V12, roll it. Forget about V8 if you can afford the fuel.

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

I really like my 750!!

Claudio

Yes | No

Sorry... the E38s are no jackrabbits

Registered Member
    Member No: 46523 mmallory is an unknown quantity at this point mmallory's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 750i is faster than 740i after 160KM/hr by a longw

If you manually shift the 750, it is much faster below 100 as well. The engine needs rpm. But with today's gas prices is it really worth it trying to drag race a boat?

The 750's main benefit is the smoothness in the US, top end where there are no speed limits.

I miss my 750 a lot, I may get another if the right car comes along.

Mark M.

Registered Member
    Member No: 125455 m8powr is an unknown quantity at this point m8powr's Avatar

Yes | No

I love my 740i sport! Already have my V12...

i like the torque and top end of the V12, but the V8 isn't lacking in the torque department by any means. Plenty of power for a 4 door sedan - unless doing a lot of top end driving, i'd stick with the M62 - there is a vast knowledge base and save a few MPG. Also, you can get more power out of the M62 using Dinan upgrades :) Very limited selection on the M73. You can find a 740 with all the same "bells & whistles," they're just hard to find.

-Cort (San Diego, CA)
    1992 850i (6-speed) - Calypso Red
    Eisenmann Race Exhaust, UUC Short Shifter, Blaupunkt Head Unit w/ iPod, Infinity Basslink Subwoofer, Alcantara Suede Headliner, Powder Coated Intake Manifolds, M-lighted shift knob, Conforti Chips, Euro Rear Fog Lights, True HID Xenon Headlights, Euro FTPs. Upcoming: 3.15 Rear Diff (Debatable), Bilstiens w/ H&R Coils

2007 650Cic (Auto) - Black Sapphire Metallic
    Doesn't need upgrades :)

1999 740i Sport (Auto) - Anthracite Grey
    LED Taillights, Chrome 750iL Grills, DDEs

1976 Pontiac Firebird Esprit (Auto) - Bavarian Creme
    380k miles on stock 350ci and still going...

That was on-topic, right?

Registered Member
    Member No: 121492 samiare is an unknown quantity at this point samiare's Avatar

Yes | No

My 750iL compels me to higher speeds

My last vehicle was a 1994 740i. At the time I asked what was so great about the 750iL and why anyone would spend $30,000 or more to have it if by the numbers the 740i was just as fast and cheeper to drive.

Now that I own a 1998 750iL I know. The 740i was fast getting on the freeway but doing over 100 mph in my 750iL is so easy that I find myself doing it very often. In the two years of having the 740i I past 120 twice and I remember the times well. Now I do it almost every week just because I can.

If anyone in northern Utah wants to do a side by side comparison let me know.
    1998 BMW 750iL 141,000 miles

Registered Member
    Member No: 8235 emmlkusi is an unknown quantity at this point emmlkusi's Avatar

Yes | No

I have the '98 750IL and my wife has the '98 740IL. We are both VERY heavy footed hence the choice of cars. The 750 FEELS lighter ,or should I say the extra HP makes it move more effortlessly.I do find that I need to keep pressing on the accelerater alot more to get the same effect from the 740 which at time is quite annoying once you get used to the easy flow of the 750. The 740 does feel tighter in the suspension when doing spirited driving unless you use the DSC in the 750.My 750 gets 17.4 mpg on the averagein town driving (mixed temperament) and surprisingly, the 740 gets 16.8 mpg on the average. At about 60-80 mph stump it and the 750 will leave the 740 behind and KEEP pulling away pretty hard.130mph is achieved in a blink of an eye in the 750, where you actually need to keep your foot pressing alittle longer on the 740. My wife and I are both of the same opinion BUT note that this is all RELATIVE.I will take the 750IL over the 740IL any day based strictly on performance.I hope I could help. NOTE that the 2001 740 does have vanos (I think) and a differential ratio which makes it feel a little quicker than the older ones say 1999. I hope I could help.

750iL Owner

Yes | No

Re: Negligible difference between the two

I believe BMW literature for the 1999, 2000, and 2001 model years shows that the 750iL is at least as fast 0-60 as the 740i Sport.

Registered Member
    Member No: 96434 AprilGoose is an unknown quantity at this point AprilGoose's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Negligible difference between the two

The 740iS gear ratio in the rear end(3.15) is really a big advantage for it over the 750. Then add in the weight difference and the 740iS will win the 1/4 mile race. Over 100 and the 750 should catch up and pull away. I haven't personally tried it though. Cannot afford the ticket.;)

Registered Member
    Member No: 200772 E36E38 is an unknown quantity at this point E36E38's Avatar

Yes | No
    New user here

I actualy came across this posting whilst researching other stuff.

I personaly have both an E38 750 iL and an E36 M3 Euro. wrapped with both and wouldn't part with them for anything at twice the price. Both are pristine and regular show winners. I do all my own maintenance and repairs.

My 750iL was originaly a special order from BMW, it was ordered for the director of BMW in the country where I live. It is rather unique in that appart from being optioned to the hilt, it is also had the sport pack springs and a 3.19 210 style LSD

The car when i bought it had a few niggles, not the least of which was the dealers had fitted the wrong MAF element on the RH bank and one O2 sensor was on the blink. Those being fixed, it runs like a dream and has given me all pleasure and no trouble in the 8 years I have had it.

With respect to this post, a comparrison between the M73 and the M62 4.4 sport is only really fair if both are running the same final drive ratio, The 2.82 diff that is standard on the V12 cars is a moon shot diff designed for high spead Autobahn driving. Even hampered with such a tall diff, the V12's massive off idle torque does it proud.

The transmissions are the same for both versions, difference is that the what appears to be a slight difference in final drive ratio really adds up to a significant increase in rear wheel torque in the low indirect gear ratio's.

I have the 3.19 in my 750 iL and can say that typical 0 - 60 time is sub 6.0 secs, i have timed it several times and measured 5.8 secs

Over 90 mph it is very quick, certainly quicker than a lighter 4.0 E39 Up to 90 mph it gets ahead of the E39 by about a nose to a car length. Over 90 mph its really comes into stride, my 750 even feels a little faster at ballistic speads than my M3

I used to have the factory multi-spokes with grippy 235 Michelin tyres on it. Not grippy enough, to easy to to leave two long black tyre marks even with DSC/ATC on. I fitted MPars with 275 PS2 at the rear, now it launches hard in a straight line with just a trace of wheel spin.

Regardless of mine being a sport version, the V12 is just so sublimely effortless. Alpina B12's will see out nearly 300 kph, for a 2.15 tone limo built in the 90's, that is amazing by any stretch!
    Last edited by E36E38; 03-23-2014 at 04:35 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 114.75.163.65

Unregistered

Yes | No

zombies everywhere....

7 year necro, hahaha
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 72.201.3.200

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information