+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 56153 vcosta is an unknown quantity at this point vcosta's Avatar

Yes | No

CodyR - Z3 Top answer...

Here is the e-mail I sent you on 5/22/07;

Cody,

You just need a new window. The plastic bead is attached to the window (not the top). I suggest buying the BMW replacement window instead of the e-Miata (or whatever it's called). The BMW window should be available for about $120 discounted. It takes about 45 minutes to install one if everything goes smooth. We had a lot of trouble with Tom's, but finally decided the problem was the zipper pull, which we modified and got the window to zip right in after that. I still have my old zipper pull which we can use. It has installed about 3 or 4 windows without any major problems

Check your stitching all the way around the window (see picture below). If you are missing any stitches, you need to take care of them just as soon as the old window is out (before the new window goes in). Figure on about 1 hr of time to hand stitch about 1 foot of length (you will probably only need a couple of inches). I used dacron thread from a sail repair kit to stitch my old top.

Perhaps we can use this forum to communicate while your e-mail is down.

Vaughn

CodyR

Yes | No

Thanks, Vaughn....

Don't know why I'm not receiving your emails because I'm getting mail from other folks... except from you and Karenz.
    Looks like hand stitching that zipper would be a nightmare! Where in the world would I find sail repair thread? I might have to make the trip to Brownwood to get you to help me with this one ;^)
    I've got the Mena trip coming up on June 15th so I guess I need to get moving on this.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Not as bad as it sounds...

Stitching the rear window isn't quite as bad as it sounds. I actually stitched about 6 inches or so by myself once. It is a whole lot easier to do when the window is removed from the top - goes much faster (because you can see and reach both sides of the stitch at the same time - through the empty window hole).

Sail repair thread is fairly easy to get - almost any sailboat shop or sail loft should have it. I used it because it is extremely strong and highly resistant to sun damage - I also used it because I had 2 or 3 sail repair kits left over from my sailboat racing days. I'll bring some if I can find it, if not, I'll e-mail some of the shops in the Dallas area to see if I can locate some for you.

Don't worry about coming to Brownwood, I'll come up there. My son lives in Dallas, so I already have a good excuse to visit. Take a look at your schedule and select the best times for you. I'm sure I can match up your schedule with mine. I can get up there as early as about 2:30 PM on a week day if I need to.

If you order the window from one of the "discount" BMW places, expect about 7 days on the delivery.

You might try checking your "spam" folder - if you have one - for the missing e-mails. All of Tom C's e-mails go straight into my "deleted" folder, for unknown reasons. On my old computer, I discovered a second "inbox", where an occasional e-mail would go - never figured out why there was a second inbox or why 1 e-mail out of about 300 or 400 would end up there.

vc

Registered Member

Yes | No

Reply to "Window Replacement" e-mail...

Sent on 5/29/07 to both your home and work e-mail addresses.

vc

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information