+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 106207 M5zealot is an unknown quantity at this point M5zealot's Avatar

Yes | No

OBC lights dim, cd player shuts off when brakes

Hello, (formerly DEADM5 here, Well, just past break in period. It seemed forever to get 1,250K on my rebuilt engine. Happy and drunk on the power of a fresh engine. My OBC lights dim and CD player cuts out intermitently. I read some post from about 4 years ago, Philo found a ground strap dangling behind the head. I found the same ground wire tonight and grounded back to the hex nut on the valve cover. Is that where this ground goes? SO much for my master mechanic. Well, now the stereo unit shuts off everytime I press the brake pedal! The unit is hooked up directly to the battery and grounded well at the firewall. I did not use factory wires. Does anyone know what this ground strap is for? I will be checking alternator function in the morning. Any other suggestions?

Bruce in Canada

Yes | No

for sure the strap goes the the valve cover.

I am not sure about the brake problem, need to check power and ground on both the brake and radio circuits.

Michael in MD

Yes | No

Re: OBC lights dim, cd player shuts off when brakes

Hi All,

I don't have the answer to your problem but I'm interested in a resolution. I too have this issue with a new radio, but I'm using the stock wiring setup. The interuption happens more when it is raining or wet outside and I was thinking of having a new player re-wired directly (run new power & grounds to the battery) so now hearing that may give WORSE results is troubling.

[my OBC and most behind the dash lighting has never worked so I have no comment about it dimming]

Michael

antony

Yes | No

Re: OBC lights dim, cd player shuts off when brake

i noticed my obc and radio dim when i hit the brakes too. my problem was that the brake lights and radio share a fuse... which was corroded. replacing the fuse fixed it.

Registered Member
    Member No: 106207 M5zealot is an unknown quantity at this point M5zealot's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Thanks for advice

My radio is connected directly to battery w/ it's own fuse link. So ex that possibility. Problems doesn't seem that bad when engine is running since I hooked up the loose strap. I'm thinking this is a voltage regulator/alternator issue. I think the part is a least 6 years old.

Registered Member
    Member No: 45949 Philo is an unknown quantity at this point Philo's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: OBC lights dim, cd player shuts off when brake

MZ5.. at the time of that ground strap post 4 years ago I was trying to solve a intermittent problem with my tach shutting down, the brake idiot light in the overhead coming on, and the radio shutting down. When I discovered that ground strat, which I think I learned from Bruce in Canada or Ethan Turner, I thought I solved the problem.... WRONG.

It was fuse #6 bouncing around in the distribution box. Just bend the metal holder ends and make sure the fuses are nice and tight, maybe this will solve your radio cut out problem. The dimming is a hard one to chase. My car does the same although with my new head unit I no longer have this problem and I'm using stock wires. Weird I know...

If you have clean power and a good ground for the radio this shouldn't happen. Try resetting the ground to a stock ground post location. There's one under the steering column.

Good luck !

Philo.

Registered Member

Yes | No

THANKS PHILO

I will try that, does anyone know what the ground strap is for anyway? Nothing seemed to be affected when I connected it or disconnected it? Maybe thats why my mechanic left it off?

Registered Member
    Member No: 123746 Randomg is an unknown quantity at this point Randomg's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Thanks for advice

This happened to me when the connection from the alternator to the fuse box was lose (I don't remember which fuse it was) after a fuse box replacement. After having radio/obc stuff flicker intermediately, the car finally died on the road when the battery ran out of juice. The mechanic quickly went to the fuse box and fixed it within 10 minutes when I took it back into the same shop.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information