+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 94636 02blues is an unknown quantity at this point 02blues's Avatar

Yes | No

problem: acceleration difficulty/ local mechanic

Hi guys
    I have a 74 2002. Stock engine and single carb.
    Been running fine for a few years. Lately it begins to lose power at I accelerate for brief moments 1-2 seconds at a time.
    Fuel filter? thoughts anyone?

Any good 02 mechanics in the NC triangle area?

Thanks.

Registered Member
    Member No: 118085 alternativez2003 is an unknown quantity at this point alternativez2003's Avatar

Yes | No

Lots of possibilities...give more

specific information to help narrow it down. When was the last tune-up, and what was done? Any changes in gasoline? Changed fuel filter? Vacuum lines cracked or loose or vvac loss anywhere? How old is the carb and has it been serviced ever? Timing checked lately?

Registered Member
    Member No: 94636 02blues is an unknown quantity at this point 02blues's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Lots of possibilities...give more

Right: here is what I know:
    I did adjust the timing about a year ago. Perhaps I should try that again. It idles fine.

I replaced the fuel filter about two years ago. Hoses are OK.

I don't think it is the original carb. Single barrel,down draft. dont remember size or make. K and N filter about two years ago.

I have replaced the points with electronic ignition.

I suspect I have a valve issue with a little blow by on decel. Cant remember the compression values when I changed the sparks about 2 years ago. All were about the same.

Did have a 4 speed tran placed. Was an automatic.

Hope that helps a bit. Thanks for your thoughts.

Registered Member
    Member No: 118085 alternativez2003 is an unknown quantity at this point alternativez2003's Avatar

Yes | No

I would start with a regular tune-up,

but be sure to check or replace all vacumm hoses. When you say "loss of power," how would you describe it? Can you tell if it is fuel, ignition, clutch slippage, or a compression problem? If the car is parked and you rev the engine, can you hear the engine "stumble" at a particular rpm? It't still hard to tell what's wrong without more information (and without seeing it in person). Keep coming back, and someone here will help. It's not the most active forum, but it's a good one.

02blues

Yes | No

Re: I would start with a regular tune-up,

I will do as suggested. It really feels like you are lifting your foot off the gas for 1-2 seconds while acceleratig in 4th gear...
    It happens about 5 or so times in a row then I usually slow down.

thnks again.

Registered Member
    Member No: 117524 1971agave is an unknown quantity at this point 1971agave's Avatar

Yes | No

cuts out in 4th gear?

Now you've got me interested! You say it only cuts out in 4th gear? It doesn't happen say from a dead stop when the light turns green?

Registered Member
    Member No: 37675 mgodsoe is an unknown quantity at this point mgodsoe's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: I had this problem.....

Lucky for me it was a race car, so the interrior was all out. What I found was a fuel delivery problem.

My engine is totally stock, with original mechanical fuel pump. There is a clear plastic (and now very old) tube that runs from the fuel tank through the interior under the passenger side carpet, against the side of the floor/side of car. This tube as it ages, can get hair line cracks in it. because I have no carpet in mine, I was able to see bubbles flowing through it upon acceleration.

Running a new fuel line (I went with braided SS covered) from tank to fuel pump did the trick.

Good luck!

Mark

Registered Member
    Member No: 37675 mgodsoe is an unknown quantity at this point mgodsoe's Avatar

Yes | No

possible reason....

this happened to me in my race car.

I have a 68 02, all stock motor. fortunately because the carpet it out, I could see the small clear plastic (and very old) tube that runs through the interior on the passenger side floor against the side wall, had bubbles appearing inside the line.

There were small hairline cracks that had developed in the brittle tubing.

Replaced the tubing with SS braided line from tank to fuel pump....all was good!

Good luck!

Mark

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information