+ Reply to Thread
    BimmerBeeman

Yes | No

Bilstein vs. Boge/Sachs vs. KYB vs.Koni

I've looked through the archives to see about comparisons, but get a lot of conflicting reports. The one thing that seems constant is that Bilsteins last longest and are nice & stiff, but I'm not looking for such a rough ride for this car in particular. Anyone have any suggestions/experiences/info about how the other three compare?

Griffon

Yes | No

Re: Bilstein vs. Boge/Sachs vs. KYB vs.Koni

I am wondering the same thing for the front of my '81 323i.
    I use Koni adjustable on the rear. These shocks provide re-bound adjustment so you can pretty much get the ride you need.
    If I adjust them too stiff I get a little skippy in the rear, but I have since found the sweet spot. I don't find the ride to rough.

I've looked through the archives to see about comparisons, but get a lot of conflicting reports. The one thing that seems constant is that Bilsteins last longest and are nice & stiff, but I'm not looking for such a rough ride for this car in particular. Anyone have any suggestions/experiences/info about how the other three compare?

Lance

Yes | No

Bilstein - No complaints

Yeah, they're certainly stiffer than the stock. I went with Bilstein HD shocks and H&R springs (BMP has good combo deals) which lowered the ride height about an inch. I was really concerned that I might have over-done it. I did not want a rough ride.

I was very happy with the results. See my post below for more details under "God Bless Bilsteins". The handling improvement is phenomenal.

My car had BOGE shocks, of which the front left was completely gone. After disassembly, I realized the quality difference between BOGE and Bilstein. The most obvious is the piston shaft diameters......Bilsteins are almost twice as thick, which I imagine reduces steering flexure under hard cornering.

My only complaint about Bilsteins is that the tightening nut provided with them mates to a metric driver....not a US standard (when in Rome or should I say Germany)....3/8" are too small and 1/2" are too big. This requires a makeshift tightening tool (I used a large pipe wrench). Torque setting was approximated.

Robert

Yes | No

Re: Bilstein vs. Boge/Sachs vs. KYB vs.Koni

O.K. everything I own has bilsteins on it.

The 323i has sports/H&R
    The 320 has sports/H&R (had red koni at one time, too soft)
    The crown vic HD's
    The Mustang Saleen Bilsteins

KYB-Run away as fast as you can.
    Koni Red, Just by Boge, they work the same and are cheaper.
    Koni yellow sport are a nice compromise for ride/stiffness.

just MHO/ymmv

Karl

Yes | No

Re: Contrary View

In case you're not confused enough...

I put KYB Gas-Adjust on my 528i, and they're pretty stiff--enough to control the autobahn cruiser for autocrossing. They have lasted over five years (so far). So later I put a set on the 320 as well--ride is well controlled at drivers' school and not too stiff for my wife to use as commuter. I'm happy with them.

Then I bought an El Camino that needed shocks, ordered KYB and got KYB GR2 model shocks. These are not strong shocks--the car still needs more damping.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information