+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 145925 codog2 is an unknown quantity at this point codog2's Avatar

Yes | No

Is it possible to overfill radiator w/coolant?

Just replaced my thermostat (thanks for the info CN90)and drained the radiator while I was at it. Everything seems to be working fine but I am wondering if I overfilled the radiator with coolant.

I used about 4/5 of a gallon of 50/50 mix distilled water bmw coolant (I think that's about how much came out). The plastic float goes to the top. Any harm if the coolant is overfilled? I keep checking the system to make sure there isn't any air pockets, but it is always at the top.

If I overfilled it can I just open the bleeder screw next to the fill cap and let some get pumped out while the engine is running?

TIA

Jim Cash

Yes | No

Re: Is it possible to overfill radiator w/coolant?

If you have bleed it "properly" then it is overfilled - and yes this can be a problem.

The top of the indicator stick is only supposed to be level with the rim of the tank - not above.

That is an "expansion tank" and it is supposed to be mostly air inside - so that there is room for the coolant to expand when it gets hot. If there is not enough room then the excess will normally get pushed out the cap emergency release valve - otherwise some component (hose, rad, heater, etc) will blow.

ALWAYS check the level when the car is COLD.
    If the system is properly sealed and bled then the level should never vary during normal conditions. It will change "slightly" between winter and summer due to the difference of temperature of the coolant when engine is cold. The expansion tank can handle those differences.

Cheers
    Jim Cash

Registered Member
    Member No: 145925 codog2 is an unknown quantity at this point codog2's Avatar

Yes | No

Jim, can I remove some coolant by

Starting the engine and letting it pour out the bleed screw next to the fill cap? I noticed that when the car was running the pump would push the coolant through the bleed screw. Is this acceptable?

I think I may have overfilled it. Though if it has an 11 quart capacity and I only put in 4 quarts (1 gallon), I guess I didn't flush much

Thanks for the response

Jim Cash

Yes | No

Re: Jim, can I remove some coolant by

Sounds like you did not drain the block and heater.

I do not recomment draing by the bleed screw. You have to do that hot and that is not safe. Also difficult to know when it is correct.

Best to insert a small tube down into the expansion tank and syphon of enough till the indicator goes down to the correct level. Do this when the car is totally cold (morning after it sits overnight)

Cheers
    Jim Cash

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information