+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 147836 bmwlife is an unknown quantity at this point bmwlife's Avatar

Yes | No

After iPod install - noisy fan??

Hello all,
    Just had dealer install iPod adater kit in 650i cabrio. Drove the vehicle about 30 minutes and on the way home I noticed a loud fan buzzing - the sound coming from just below the CD/DVD slots.

Ejected both CD and Navi DVD. Fan buzzing did not stop.

Arrived home. With engine off whirring sound still continued. And it's loud enough to be a major distraction while driving. Locked vehicle and came back 5 minutes later - no fan whirring. Started up engine and played music with iPod - awesome! Then whirring sound starts all over again after 2 minutes!! UGGH!

Anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Even more annoying is that I was going to take the 650i on a roadtrip leaving early in the morning. Now I'll have to delay my plans and take it back to dealer....and complain big time!!!
    *07 X5 4.8i, Deep Green Metallic, Sand Beige, Bamboo Trim*
    Premium, Sports, Tech, ComfortAccess, ActiveSteering, HUD, RTTI, SAT, 3rdRow, 20" Y-spoke, PremiumSound

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: After iPod install - noisy fan??

That is, I believe, a CCC cooling fan. Its failure has been at the heart of some intermittent iDrive or related problems now and then. I don't know of anybody reporting it to be so loud as you. May be the first sign of emminent failure OR when they installed the adapter they got the fan too close to something. In any ase it is not right and servie needs to make it right. If you had a 6CDC they should not have been in the area to replace the changer to iPod, but if not they may have had to get back there.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Logic 7, HUD, Cold Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Aux, BT w/ snap-in adapter, V1, CIP 21.03 w/MP3 enabled

Registered Member
    Member No: 147836 bmwlife is an unknown quantity at this point bmwlife's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: After iPod install - noisy fan??

Thanks for the heads up. That makes sense - though I had to look up what CCC stands for. (Core Compartment Cooling). I'm guessing it helps cool the Navi DVD unit.

Service here I come - and thank goodness any cost is covered by BMW!

Again, thanks for the info.

*07 X5 4.8i, Deep Green Metallic, Sand Beige, Bamboo Trim*
    Premium, Sports, Tech, ComfortAccess, ActiveSteering, HUD, RTTI, SAT, 3rdRow, 20" Y-spoke, PremiumSound

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

CCC = Car Communication Computer

Several of them:

NAV
    Audio
    Display

and more

_______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Logic 7, HUD, Cold Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Aux, BT w/ snap-in adapter, V1, CIP 21.03 w/MP3 enabled

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information