+ Reply to Thread
    John Diff

Yes | No

valve stem seals

I am about to embark on a task people warn me about doing.

replacing my valve stem seals w/o removing the head. I have access to a fully equiped service shop (jag/landrover). I am told by the jag techs that i may need special tools and or procedures. I realize that I have to compress the springs to remove the keepers and inject the cylinder with air to lift the valve but other that that i am not clear. What is the proper procedure to do this without removing the head.

Matt S

Yes | No

Re: valve stem seals

You'll have to figure out a way to compress the valve spring without using the rocker arm as a lever. OHV type valve compressors that grab the bottom of the spring won't work, because there isn't enough clearance on the side of eachspring to get them in there even without the rocker in the way (BTDT). In fact you'll have to take the circlips out of the rocker shafts and slide them out of the way of the valve assem. You're best bet might be to fashion a lever type tool that uses the rocker shaft as a fulcrum and presses on the spring retainer. Be sure you have the right kind of valve seals when you start too. There are early and late types that work with different types of guides, so they are not interchangable. Keep a magnet handy as you're doing this too, rocker circlips and collets are easy to drop into places far too small to wedge your fingers. The old valve seals may present a problem too because they will sometimes disintegrate when you attempt to pull them off the guide and little pieces of plastic will get into your oil passages if that happens. All that said, I find it easier to just pull the D$%# head and do it off the car.

HTH,

Matt
    Maximillian Importing

I am about to embark on a task people warn me about doing.

replacing my valve stem seals w/o removing the head. I have access to a fully equiped service shop (jag/landrover). I am told by the jag techs that i may need special tools and or procedures. I realize that I have to compress the springs to remove the keepers and inject the cylinder with air to lift the valve but other that that i am not clear. What is the proper procedure to do this without removing the head.

John Diff

Yes | No

after reading that I just may do it that way, sure seems a lot simpler and I could do it at home.

Matt S

Yes | No

Let me know if you need any more guidance. I've done this on my workbench at home a bunch of times and I've actually made tools for doing stuff like the valve disassembly.

after reading that I just may do it that way, sure seems a lot simpler and I could do it at home.

John Diff

Yes | No

thanks i may need too

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information