+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 140295 AndrewDP is an unknown quantity at this point AndrewDP's Avatar

Yes | No

iDrive comment...

After a year with my 650 and the first software upgrade, which sped up the processor considerably, I frankly do not understand the journalists' carping about iDrive at every single opportunity. Their universal failure to understand how to use it says much more about their ability to understand anything electronic or, for that matter mechanical, than flaws in the design of iDrive. I find it to be quite intuitive and now that the response time is much faster a pleasure to use. iDrive nav is not as granular as the MMI system in my 07 Audi, but I find it easier to use than the Audi's. The sound in the Logic 7 system is worlds better than the Bose in the Audi, IMO. I have had Bose systems in recent Porsches and MB's and do not understand why the major German manufacturers favor Bose. The auto writers never seem to mention the Logic 7 system and just like to pile on with derogatory comments about iDrive. Perhaps they should spend a few minutes with a manual or a few with a BMW sales rep who can walk them through the basic functions. It would heighten their credibility considerably with me.

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Total agreement here

_______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Logic 7, HUD, Cold Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Aux, BT w/ snap-in adapter, V1, CIP 21.03 w/MP3 enabled

Registered Member
    Member No: 31684 CAFleming is an unknown quantity at this point CAFleming's Avatar

Yes | No

You misunderstand all the critics

It's not a matter of "can one learn I-drive".

It's a matter of is I-drive better than the alternatives? The answer is clearly no, and this is acknowledged by BMW adding buttons on the latest iteration to enable faster access to many functions.

The first generation of I-drive was just horrible. Sure, with coaching, anyone could learn to preset a radio station. But before I-drive the process was this:

Push the preset button you desire while tuned to the station you desire for a couple of seconds.

That was it! No scrolling, searching, studying the manual...

When you also add in the slowness of I-drive (it's better now, but still WAY too slow), and the unreliability (when did the pre-select buttons on pre I-drive cars fail, crashing the whole system?), and one can only wonder what moron engineers designed this system. BMW makes great handling cars, but their implementation of technology systems has often been lame.

Registered Member
    Member No: 140295 AndrewDP is an unknown quantity at this point AndrewDP's Avatar

Yes | No

Actually, I understand them perfectly and my...

experience with iDrive did not include most of the early problems that you mentioned. I agree that it is hard to believe that such superb engineering produced a system with obvious drawbacks. That said, I find that iDrive is easier to use than my 07 Audi RS4 system. Auto writers' apparent failure to understand how to use iDrive, which speaks worlds to their lack of use and understanding of owner's manuals, is their proclivity for hyperbole in their universal criticism of the system. If readers find that helpful, then be it so.

Registered Member
    Member No: 111482 awz is an unknown quantity at this point awz's Avatar

Yes | No

I agree with Andrew DP

I agree with Andrew DP. I-drive, while not perfect, requires only practice and some study of the owner's manual in order for the driver to become proficient. I'm convinced that journalists are just too lazy to do this. They seem to want to jump from car to car and somehow osmose the knowledge on how the controls work. Owners, on the other hand, have made a commitment and are willing to invest the time to learn. After three-plus years with my 645 and several software upgrades (latest is 25.0), I'm pleased with I-drive. It provides access to many functions while allowing a beautifully clean dash.

Registered Member
    Member No: 26083 r.merkle is an unknown quantity at this point r.merkle's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Actually, I understand them perfectly and my...

remember that the auto journalist are mostly english majors that like autos. if they were able to understand technology they would have been engineers. its a vast spectrum between the two extreems. the extra button are to satisfy people like my parents. they would never like the idrive at all and would not buy a car with it.

Registered Member
    Member No: 75972 phildo is an unknown quantity at this point phildo's Avatar

Yes | No

Also in complete agreement with Andrew

I think IDrive is great. You need to know where to go, but that takes an intelligent adult about 15 minutes at the get-go. The reward is a clean, elegant dashboard. Also, the voice recognition function is superb and you really rarely need to resort to the control knob.

Registered Member
    Member No: 147127 HERRERA800 is an unknown quantity at this point HERRERA800's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Total agreement here

I doubt every editor and writer from almost every single car magazine got together and conspired to bash the idrive without merit. There has to be something to these critics words. Just my 1 1/2 cents.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information