+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 134864 darkshark is an unknown quantity at this point darkshark's Avatar

Yes | No

88 M5 collectible?

Greetings,
    I'm a guest E24 person considering an E28-based M5. Car has just under 150k and top end was redone at 95k. Car needs struts, seat repair, guibo or other driveline clunking part. Wondering about collectibility/price.

Thoughts?

Registered Member
    Member No: 123746 Randomg is an unknown quantity at this point Randomg's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 88 M5 collectible?

Not yet, and maybe never. It looks good on paper (original sport saloon/q car, rare, best you could buy at the time) and yet their prices have stayed pretty stable for the last 10 years or so. Although I saw a poll on a general car forum (not just bmw) about their dream 80s car (without being a ridiculous dream, aka f40 959) and the m5 won, over the 911 t.

Bruce in Canada

Yes | No

I disagree....

depends on what you mean by collectible. I think that M5s are being mostly kept up and not driven. Most M5s are not neglected and all are owned by enthusiasts. The very fact that there are so many left around means that they are wanted alive and not dead. Certainly the value has not been spectacular, but that is not a measure of weather is should be looked after or neglected.

The M5 is a well known piece of automotive history and will be loved for ever.. I think that is enought to call it collectible.

Registered Member
    Member No: 131286 craggd is an unknown quantity at this point craggd's Avatar

Yes | No

Buy it for your own pleasure

DarkShark,

We are in a similar place. I own an '80 Euro 635 and just bought an '88 M5. Wanted an M car and decided it would be fun to have a 6 and a 5. Not sure about the collectability although they are certainly limited in number and have an avid following. Hey any car you can enjoy and get "most" of your money back on it when you move on is good in my book. Dave's '80 Euro 635

Registered Member
    Member No: 112220 MJayM is an unknown quantity at this point MJayM's Avatar

Yes | No

Don't expect to make money on it...

...anytime soon. M-cars require more, and more expensive, maintenance than something with, say, an M30. If the timing chain hasn't been done, it'll be a must. That's about $2000-2500 right there, and not something to DIY lightly. If it was done as part of the top-end rebuild (I hope it was at 95k) then you have about 20k miles before you really must do it.

That being said, a well-sorted example is worth the buy. It's a fun car to drive. Remember to keep the revs up though, it can be a slug if they drop.Jay
    '83 380SL
    '84 M635CSi
    '86 M5
    '88 735i

BNC

Yes | No

I believe you're talking about the M88 not S38

The S38 didn't have the single timing chain failure problem that the Euro M88's had and I believe that this is what you are refering to. Also by the M cars you have listed in your sig, they all are euro cars mit M88.
    The S38 TC tensioners will get noisey after awhile but that is about it.
    It seems that most S38's last to around 175K miles then need to be rebuilt but if the topend was done awhile back then it will extend that abit.
    Buy it right, buy it for pleasure and take care of it and you should be OK, just don't pay top $ for a car in need of alot of work, it can break you very quickly....

Registered Member
    Member No: 150923 Nobster is an unknown quantity at this point Nobster's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Not enough space.

I too am thinking of changing my 89,635csi to an M5 of the same era. I don't have tons of cash, (of course i don't I own an older BMW!), or space so it has to be one or the other, and would appreciate some pointers on what to look for if I do decide. PS. is it worth the hassle of changing, is the handling and power that much different?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information