+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 154987 sbryan is an unknown quantity at this point sbryan's Avatar

Yes | No

ABS + ASC NOT AVAILABLE + TRAC NOT AVAILABLE

On my 2001 XKR I am getting the ABS symbol with alternating messages "ASC NOT AVAILABLE" and "TRAC NOT AVAILABLE". This displays 2 to thirty minutes after starting to drive.

How much is this going to cost?

Bryan
    2001 XKR
    1998 VDP

PMCook

Yes | No

Re: ABS + ASC NOT AVAILABLE + TRAC NOT AVAILABLE

I have an 01 also. When I took delivery of it I had the same problem. I was worried it was the ASC module. In my case it was the passenger side sensor cable. Cable was 90 bucks. If your ABS module is failing, you can get remanufactured ones for around 250 bucks.

S.Hammons

Yes | No

If you have the original battery or a battery that is more than 3 years old, it could be the battery. That was the cause of my "trac not available" light coming on when I first started the car. However, my "trac not available. message stayed on just a second or two, never several minutes as you stated yours does. You could at least start with the battery and work up from there. Good luck.

Registered Member
    Member No: 128972 Frogster is an unknown quantity at this point Frogster's Avatar

Yes | No

Bryan,

I have been chasing this same problem on my 02 XK8 for a long time now. Initially it would reset after occurring just by switching the car off then on again. This became less and less effective until it would not reset without a 2-3 hour stop. I tried to pin down conditions when the fault occurred. It seemed it had to be raining or cool enough for frost. The dealer said the AUD$5000 ABS module was at fault but I just couldn't reconcile the occurrence of the fault with the ABS module itself. In my opinion it had to be an external influence. I also felt it occurred when going over bumps. So suspecting a sensor cable or connector or even a sensor, I took my wheels off and checked each of the wheel sensors and connectors, they looked fine. I cleaned them, checked their DC resistance (1.1k) and cleaned and checked the main module connector and pump motor connector. All with no noticeable effect....the fault came back again. The last thing I have done just by accident is switched off the cruise control at the console switch....I normally just leave this on. So far in the rain or cold I have not had a reoccurrence????? Of course it could reappear yet, but I'm thinking the cruise control uses the speed sensors as part of its control feedback and somehow this is interfering with the ABS/TRAC signal and so the module registers a fault. A quick look at the system block diagram shows the ABS/TRAC to be inline with the engine control module which is the end of the line for the cruise control as well. Needs more investigation as the slow reset still has not been answered. Hopefully the new diagnostic tool we are all hanging out for will help solve the problem by giving detailed information when the fault occurs.

I know this doesn't help you much but it may get you further down the line of deciding whats at fault a lot sooner than its taken me.

Cheers,

Martin

richyp

Yes | No

OK Bryan I'm back

Bryan,

I have had every ABS failure known to the system, here is my diagnosis chart;

1. Does the fault appear when you apply full lock? If so check the wiring harness is not "pulling" as you apply full lock (Park the car with full lock applied and look at the upper wishbone, the harness and terminals should not be under any tension)[Repeat for the other side] You can cut the tie-wraps and pull an inch or so futher through. Next inspect the speed sensors, there is one bolt (8mm) that holds it into the upright, loose bolt=bad earth= ABS/TRAC warnings....Pull the sensors and clean them and the ABS rotor.

2. Get an OBD II scan, if it comes up with "front L/R wheel sensor" and a C1095 code the chances are that one (usually front right) of the wiring harnesses are shagged. ($90ish from Jaguar) [5 min job]

3. Beg or borrow an ABS sensor and swap it between the wheels and see if it cures the fault (circa $300 unless you can find some generous bastard like me that just gives them away! Sorry mate, none left)

4. If that fails, pull the ABS module and send it away for a re-build ($150)

5. If that fails, take it to Jaguar and shell out circa $16-1800!

Bryan, you also need to understand how the ABS/TRAC/DSC works. Speed is sensed from the front wheels, then measured and compared to the rears. The system knows if a wheel is locked because that wheel is no longer transmiting rotational magnetic pulses compared to the other wheels, thus the brake is released. The sensors then compare signals diagonally across the car, if the R Rear is travelling faster than the F Left, (within set parameters) the car sliding and DSC/TRAC laws are applied. If, (dependent on CATS/MY/ Button position.... and other Mods) the system sees one rear wheel travelling at speeds not consistant with the fronts, an electronic form of LSD WILL be applied.

This should help trying to diagnose the fault. Blaming this on "English Gremlins" is utterly stupid (Only one member does this) The modules are made in the Phillipines and marked 'Ford' The control laws were programmed in the USA. This same idiot claims that headlight faults are another "English Gremlin" but the modules are built in Belgium from a French design. I'm guessing that idiot should do some better research!

Hope this helps,

Rich

Registered Member
    Member No: 154987 sbryan is an unknown quantity at this point sbryan's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: OK Bryan I'm back

Thanks all. I've only had this Jag about 4 weeks now.

I have a very good independent Jag mechanic that I'll take it to but I always like to learn as much as I can first. I also have most repairs covered by a EasyCare policy.

Bryan

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information