+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 106764 gruffydd3 is an unknown quantity at this point gruffydd3's Avatar

Yes | No

H I D vs Xenon?

Let me ask a stupid question. Are H I D projector headlights the same as xenons? If not, what are the differences?

Hanh

Yes | No

Re: H I D vs Xenon?

If you're referring to the difference between HID and halogen/xenon bulbs; it's a huge difference. A factory HID setup is roughly 3x's as bright as a regular halogen bulb. Xenon bulbs (the halogen type) tend to be higher wattage, so they look slightly brighter, but it's no comparison against a legit HID setup.

Registered Member
    Member No: 29147 ramyar is an unknown quantity at this point ramyar's Avatar

Yes | No

When it comes to modern automotive lighting, there are basically two types of headlight options: Halogen (around for several decades) and High Intensity Dischard (HID) (around for about 10 or so years - I believe the Lincoln Mark VIII was the first production car with this). The primary difference between these two technology is how the actual light source is created.

With halogen, it's done the old fashioned way with a fillament (like a regular house bulb) and it's filled with halogen gas. The halogen gas allows the bulb to shine brighter.

HID lighting does not use a fillament to generate the light. Instead, it relies on high voltage to create an arc between two electroids. In automobile lighting, the bulb is filled with Xenon, a somewhat rare gaseous element. It is important to note that there are other types of HID bulbs used in non-automotive applications that used different gasses (metal halide, high pressure sodium, and murcury vapor are examples used in outdoor lighting - tennis courts/street lights).

Some manufacturers of standard halogen bulbs have decided to also add Xenon gas to their bulbs. However, the amounts added are EXTREMELY small to NONE. Instead, because of the Xenon name recognition, this is a marketing method they use to attract customers. Therefore, what are suppose to be labeled as BLUE HALOGENS (regular halogen bulbs with a coating of blue high temperature transparent paint) are often mislabeled and misrepresented as Xenon or HID bulbs.

Like the previous poster stated, apples to apples, the output of true HID bulbs are three times higher than halogen.
    RJ
    2006 M3 ZCP (en-route)
    2006 325i
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    2002 330Ci
    2001 325i

MDean

Yes | No

Gruffydd3,

The above information is a good start, but there is more to HID vs. Halogen. Like stated earlier, HID bulbs arc several thousand volts (18,000+) from what I remember across two prongs, but the Gaseous mixture isn't the only component to a HID bulb. If you look at one carefully, you will see a greenish to tan colored mixture in the bulb. That is the Mercury Halide Salt mixture that contributes to the color of the light output. HID bulbs use a 90 volt box to help with its startup as well. Xenon is used in some halogen bulbs due to its ability to burn cooler, it also helps extend the lifespan somewhat as well. Xenon atoms are bigger than Bromine( A typical gas used in bulbs) and this helps to keep the vaporized Tungsten atoms off of the glass envelope, and deposit them back to the filament.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information