+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 106207 M5zealot is an unknown quantity at this point M5zealot's Avatar

Yes | No

Bilstein shock/spring set

Just got SP Bilsteins/lowering springs as a package. Eliminating SLS, does anyone know which of the 6 notches the rear spring perch should be set at? I'm assuming the highest setting since the springs lower the rear 1.25"

Thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 24008 montypsk is an unknown quantity at this point montypsk's Avatar

Yes | No

i have it on 3rd from the top.....but

I thing it lowers the rake to much from when I measured it. I will move it to the 2nd from the top. Check the archives as thats what I search when I did it 4 yrs ago.

alex

88 m5
    91 318is

Registered Member
    Member No: 106207 M5zealot is an unknown quantity at this point M5zealot's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: i have it on 3rd from the top.....but

Thanks Alex, did you mean lowers the rake = back was lower than the front? That is definitely not good. my car sat with the back a little higher for a perfect aero rake with the SLS installed. My buddy with an M6 has his on the lowest cog and his car sits perfectly. Mechanic says 2nd from top, you say 3rd. I'm very confused now

Registered Member
    Member No: 24008 montypsk is an unknown quantity at this point montypsk's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: i have it on 3rd from the top.....but

sorry for confusion. i have it on third, but need to move it to 2nd, just like you mechanic said. The rake for the car is 3/4 inch. Meaning the rear needs to me .75 inches taller than the front. Mine is like .5 right now.

alex

88 m5
    91 318is

Registered Member

Yes | No

confused on adjustment levels

Hello again, I seem to be confused on the six levels of adjustment on my new read Sport Bilsteins / Vogtland springs. (1.25 " drop) I had set the spring perch in the middle (3) and car was too low for me. I moved it up the to highest #1 top-setting and ride height didn't seem to change at all. Am I going backwards here? I thing to raise the car I have to have the perch on the sixth cog, closest to the ground? To me it just seems to be compressing the spring (lowering ride height) the higher I go up the shock cogs. Doing fronts this weekend.

Registered Member

Yes | No

from my understanding

looking at the shock from top down, the bottom perch should sit at the heighest setting, farthest form the ground. I haven done it to mine yet, its been 2 yrs. I have no idea why it doesnt change the rear. The different between each setting is not much. Have you measured your rake before and after? Maybe the springs havent settled in yet? I have H&R's no dont know about yours. At least changing the perch can be done while shock is on car.

The fronts are easy, just need to take top not and collar nut, thats the hardest part. And no adjustment in the front so set it and forget it.

Alex

88 m5
    91 318is

M5zealot

Yes | No

Re: thanks

I have been judging heigh by the top of the tire's relation to fender lip. Since I haven't done fronts I haven't done any official measuring. Until I get the offset corrected (machining 6mm of backspacing) on my rear TS 17x9's, the left tire will rub slightly with the new suspesion set up. How to you adjust the rings with out removing the shock out of the car? My mechanic said it was not possible? Manual spring compressor perhaps?

Registered Member

Yes | No

I havent done it yet, but manual spring compressor

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information