+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 72412 bob.knox is an unknown quantity at this point bob.knox's Avatar

Yes | No

Haa...Haaaaa e60 M5 Fire sale

Just read in Autoweek that the e60 M5's are on sale with 3.9% financing. Me thinks the marketing department has run BMW amuck. The brain surgeon who thought a torque anemic, Everest reving, sensor over-laden V10 was a good idea for the street should be fired. Once the euphoria of stomping on the gas wears off and the reality of commuting in that thing comes crashing down, the e60 M5 is no more fun to drive than a Camry. Worse actually from what I have heard since the SMG trans "trailer hitches" like a bucking mule. Torque is what you need for real world driving, and the e60 M5 has none. I got laughed off the e60 M5 board for suggesting the Cadillac CTS-V to one of the guys who couldn't tolerate his M5 anymore. Well, the V will kick the M5's tail pipes off the line, and the brakes and steering are truely world class with no electronic gizmos between the wheel and the road. I drove a V for a very short ride around the block and loved it. That rear end made of glass though would keep me from buying one. The thought of dropping another $8k for a custom built rear doesn't make much sense to me, but then again it's still 1/2 the price of an e60 M5.

Bob K.88 ///M5, RIP

Registered Member
    Member No: 45949 Philo is an unknown quantity at this point Philo's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Haa...Haaaaa e60 M5 Fire sale

I agree.., but still want one. Maybe because I haven't driven it yet. Sat in one at the LA auto show and surprisingly my E28 M5 has more cockpit room.

Good points though.

Funny story about the CTS-V, when they just came out Caddy dealers had the front calipers mis-priced in the computer. You could have walked into a dealer and purchased a set of those massive aluminum clamps for $30 a piece. What you could have mounted them to is another story. I was thinking about making custom brackets for the M5!

P.
    --------

Registered Member
    Member No: 39390 Edgeman is an unknown quantity at this point Edgeman's Avatar

Yes | No

Now you tell us...lol

Cheers!
    John
    85 M635CSi
    86 657CSi
    88 M3

Registered Member
    Member No: 123746 Randomg is an unknown quantity at this point Randomg's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Haa...Haaaaa e60 M5 Fire sale

I don't understand why everyone complains about torque when perfect downshifts are microseconds away... tap the paddle twice and you're good to go. The one guy I talked to said if you aren't expecting the smg to be an automatic, it's fine.

And torque anemic? Man, only 280 ft-lbs at 2000 rpm and 320 at 3000. That's enough to pull it around faster than our cars, and you're saying that's not enough for daily driving?

I've never driven anything nicer than the car I own, but from my point of view, if you're buying a sport sedan, only the sportiest will do. If you're not buying it for the occasional track day or back country road, why have it in the first place? (Which doesn't discount your cts suggestion, I'm just saying, I'd rather have a high revving v10 for spirited driving than a crossplane v8)

Registered Member
    Member No: 72412 bob.knox is an unknown quantity at this point bob.knox's Avatar

Yes | No

Compared to AMG E Class (507 hp and 465 lb-ft) V8

Probably apples and oranges, but the AMG cars are pulling huge numbers these days with NA V8's. There is no doubt the e60 M5 is a sweet ride. I just think the M's V10 was a BMW engineering self gratification excercise, and could have been tuned better as a package for the street. Yes, I am jelous every time I see one, but if I win the lottery, I'm buying something else.

Bob K.88 ///M5, RIP

Registered Member
    Member No: 123746 Randomg is an unknown quantity at this point Randomg's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Compared to AMG E Class (507 hp and 465 lb-ft)

A fun weekend drive with an automatic, dull handling, and a tc that won't let you do anything? As far as I'm concerned, buy an m5 and have fun driving with your family in the car, or buy a 550i/e550 and don't waste the gas/power/money.

But I don't know, I think it's stupid to have tons of power and torque that's more targeted at passing people easily and racing other rich, immature drivers. Other people don't think it's stupid.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Sooo true....It's all marketing these days

88 ///M5, RIP

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information