+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Member No: 153916 Moonshiner is an unknown quantity at this point Moonshiner's Avatar

Yes | No

Rear View Mirror Removal

To their most esteemed credit, Magna Donnelly has generously offered to replace the failed rear view mirror on my MY '97, XK8, convertible, at no charge to me... provided I can give them some specific info regarding components of the mirror that are housed somewhere inside or adjacent to it. Not quite sure. Here's the info they've asked me to provide to them:

"You will need to access the plug (which you will need to do anyway to install the new mirror). It is located at the end of the wiring harness above the vehicle's headliner. This plug will be either white or yellow with 3 wires (white, gray and black) coming from the mirror going into it. The plug will have either 3, 4 or 6 slots."

Could any of you learned gentlemen help me understand what I need to do to get this info they've asked for?

Many thanks in advance to any/ all who reply.Daddy's New Girlfriend -- MY '97

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 142182 ch193 is an unknown quantity at this point ch193's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Rear View Mirror Removal

Certainly. My mirror failed and Magna requested the same information.

You must pull down the plastic cover on the headliner, the one that has reading lights and such. You must release the mirror's securing fitting to the windshield-- there will be some wires that go to a connector under the plastic cover. Magna needs that information. I took photos and sent to them, got a replacement mirror back immediately with a prepaid labor for returning the old one!! Absolutely amazing. I may be able to find the pics I took if you need them..

Registered Member
    Member No: 153916 Moonshiner is an unknown quantity at this point Moonshiner's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks, Charlie!

I'm afraid my mechanical acumen doesn't go much beyond being able to operate a coke machine, so if you have the time and could locate the photos, that would be outsanding.

From reading a few threads here, I got the sense that removing and replacing the plastic headliner cover can be a wee bit tricky -w- fragile plastic clips, and such (someone had to eventualy resort to velcro to get his re-mounted). Any tricks to carrying out the procedure that you can share?

I, too, was astounded by Magna Donnelly's willingness to just step up to the plate, and do the right thing... the bloody mirror is 10 years old, isn't it!!! In this world where the primary interest of businesses seems to be denying culpability for flaws in their products (Jag USA comes to mind), or to refuse to honor their obligations (insurance companies covering the poor Katrina victims pop right up), it is refreshing to run across a company that seems willing to do the unthinkable... actually put honor before profit!!! Kinda puts a positive spin on the day.

Thanks again for your kind interest in my problem, and the instructions on how to solve it. If you have a moment and could explain the clips, and/or find the photos, that would be excellent.

Best regards.Daddy's New Girlfriend -- MY '97

Yes | No

Certainly-- To remove the mirror, there's a black plastic cover on the mirror mount that must be pried off. I used a small screwdriver. Go slowly, for the thing is held with small plastic clips. Then, the mirror needs to be carefully slipped down, held by two metal parts that slide onto a mount, affixed to the windshield. It's designed to separate in case hit with a head in a collision.

To reinstall the mirror, one must slide it upwards onto its mount.

To remove the cover against the headliner, I tugged it as gently as possible, at the forward edge. There is a yellow connector shoved up into a recess that's not obvious. I tugged on the mirror's wires and the connector came visible. After I received the replacement mirror, I shoved the connector into a void and covered it with the plastic cover.

Maybe someone else has a better set of suggestions. Mine works and the mirror does its intended function, all OK with me.

Magna needs to know about the front of the mirror (take a pic) so they can see what functions it performs. Then I took a pic of the wiring as they requested. Pic below showing back of mirror and its wiring. You can "kinda" see the mount type. Once you have the mirror off its mount it will be obvious how the mount works. In timeless words, "Installation is the reverse of removal". Enjoy

Registered Member
    Member No: 144338 edkozlosky is an unknown quantity at this point edkozlosky's Avatar

Yes | No

What was the problem with the Rear View Mirror?

What exactly was wrong with your mirrors?

My electrochromic auto-dim does not seem to work very well. It does dim a bit but not nearly the same as my other vehicles.

So Magna Donnelly will just ship you a replacement for free? I have been watching on ebay but afraid of buying a used one no better than what I have, and new are $$$.

Thanks!

Ed

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks, again, Charlie!

Thanks to your very helpful instructions, I'm feeling a lot more comfortable about removing the mirror and the headliner cover, and getting to the plug M-D wants me to describe to them.

I'm going to try to get to it this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.

Again, a world of thanks!Daddy's New Girlfriend -- MY '97

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: What was the problem with the Rear View Mirror?

Ed--

My mirror's auto-dim feature hasn't worked since I bought the vehicle, so I'm really not sure what a mirror -w- a working aut-dim feature would look like. However, I'm pretty sure it would be better than mine looks.

My mirror has uneven, brown discoloration around its edges, looking almost as if it were an old, silver-plated mirror where the plating had delaminated, and then become tarnished. Also, there is a sort of elongated, brownish halo in the center of the lens that is faint, but visible.

When I learned that Magna Donnelly guaranteed their mirrors for life, I did a little calling around at their offices, and was directed to a very pleasant lady named Dani Andriacchi. After I described the condition of my mirror to her, she emailed me a claim form. Her email address is: [email protected] .

Hope she's able to help you -w- your mirror.

Best regards.Daddy's New Girlfriend -- MY '97

Registered Member
    Member No: 155308 DonP is an unknown quantity at this point DonP's Avatar

Yes | No

I have the same problem with the mirror in my '97 XK conv. It has been defective since I purchased the car in 2001. I've sent an email to the contact at Magna; waiting for a response. Thanks to all for the excellent information throughout the boards! New member!

Registered Member

Yes | No

If you don't get a reply from Dani in a few days, try calling her at 616-786-5115.

Good luck!Daddy's New Girlfriend -- MY '97

Registered Member
    Member No: 155308 DonP is an unknown quantity at this point DonP's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks for the reply! I did get an auto-reply already that she is out of the office until the 31st. She gave me another email address to try. Sounds quite positive. I have been looking for a good replacement mirror for 2 years! Glad I happened upon you guys for help!

Thanks again...........

Don

Registered Member
    Member No: 144338 edkozlosky is an unknown quantity at this point edkozlosky's Avatar

Yes | No

Got Lost for a month - Thanks for the contact!

Between travel, vacations, and shopping for a boat, the Jag got shelved for the past month. Time to start caring for her again! Thanks for the contact!

aklava

Yes | No

Is it possible to upgrade to en electrochromatic mirror from a standard one, ie, is the headconsole prewired??

Yes | No

Good question. All wiring may be in place as a production simplification. It's easy to check-- just have a look. Just as an aside, my 98 has wiring for enhanced sound system speakers, none installed.

JagGeo

Yes | No

Different problem with the Rear View Mirror

Hi all, newbie here with a 2002 XK8 Coupe. My mirror has the ball joint clip failing, so the mirror flops around and never stays adjusted. Thanks to all the above Emails, I too will be contacting Magna Donnelly today to see about a replacement. Thanks to all!
    JagGeo

Registered Member
    Member No: 148172 GazUK is an unknown quantity at this point GazUK's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Different problem with the Rear View Mirror

Interesting thread: until today I know of no problem with the RVM, until today when I found my mirror headlamp sensor seems to no longer be detecting that it's light outside, and so my autolamp headlights are staying on all the time.

Is this a common issue with the mirror, or could it be caused by something else?

richyp

Yes | No

Gaz,

What year is your car? The mirrors were updated at regular intervals. Are your auto-headlights working OK? May sound stupid but there is a link.

Rich

Registered Member
    Member No: 148172 GazUK is an unknown quantity at this point GazUK's Avatar

Yes | No

Aloha Rich.

My car is an 01, built Aug 00. It has the on/off for the auto dimmer on the underneath, and to be honest, I have not drove in the dark for a while now being summer and daylight savings and all, I know the Auto Headlights are now on all the time, so I know that part is not working, and I believe (think anyway) the light sensor for them is the crystal looking thing in the lower rear facing edge of the mirror. The auto-on lights used to work, now they just stay on all the time unless I turn them off the “auto” position on the stalk control. I even got a flash light and shone it in the sensor, they did not go off.

On the rear of the mirror, facing the windshield, there is a tunable knob thing sticking out that seems to do nothing, do you know what that is for?

So if the Auto-Dimmer turns out to not be working as well, then what are my options? What’s this about getting one via a warranty claim? What can I do to test etc?

Thanks in advance!

Gary.

richyp

Yes | No

Gary,

The sensor for the auto-lights is on the reverse of the mirror ie the face closest to the windscreen. You can test it by putting the lights to auto and then placing your finger over the sensor, the lights should come on (They think it's just got dark) The knob on the back adjusts the sensitivity of the auto system.

The auto dim function is set by the button that pops out from the bottom edge on the mirror. Are you getting the green LED lit up? If you are getting nothing it may well be the mirror or the wiring in the overhead consol. Oh, and check the fuse.

Hope that helps,

Rich

richyp

Yes | No

Gary,

Just another thought, the sensor on the rear of the mirror may be dirty or have fluff stuck in it so the sensor thinks it's always dark. Worth cleaning it out with a cotton bud.

Rich

bullittbob

Yes | No

I have had same positive response from Magna, I just received claim form and now am faced like you with removing stuff to get pictures taken. Any assistance is appreciated.

By the way, what year is yours and what condition is your mirror in currently?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information