+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 154952 panrixx is an unknown quantity at this point panrixx's Avatar

Yes | No

Throttle operation needs attention!

Hi all,

After a 10 year hibernation I have re-started the engine and checked the brakes. The engine only required the dizzy cap and rotor cleaning in the end, after checking a load of other items on route!

Surprisingly, the brakes just needed the surface rust removing with a wire brush and they all turned ok. Even the hand brake is operating as it should.

My current problem is that the throttle linkage is very stiff and I cannot get it to release fully. I removed the linkages and have determined that it's the rod that passes through a small tube that bridges the bulkhead.

I have applied lots of penetrating fluid at both ends but the throttle will only close 3/4 the way. If I pull backwards on the pedal it closes the remainder of the way.

Any ideas on what might be causing the problem and how to overcome it?

Regards
    Brian

Registered Member
    Member No: 111482 awz is an unknown quantity at this point awz's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Throttle operation needs attention!

Wish I could help, but you'd have a better chance for a positive response on the E24 board. Look under "Past Models" under the BMW listing.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Well I've sorted it and the throttle pedal is moving back and forth feely now.

The spindle runs through two split nylon bushes, which are housed in the pipe/tunnel that bridges the baulkhead. I think what has happened is that some corrosion on the inside of the pipe, on the engine bay side, started and as it did it compressed the split nylon bush, clamping the spindle.

Took everything apart, cleaned and lubricated it. The worse part is that there is little room for large hands on the engine bay side and everytime I pushed the splined clamp/lever back on it pushed everything back towards the inside again.

After lots a trying and loads of cursing I removed it all again. This time I worked the two splined pieces back anf forth a number of times in order to make them fit together with much less force. After that it was fairly easy to assemble, with just the fitting back of the circlip being a bit fiddly.

Anyway, after a 10 year hibernation the engine now runs, the brakes are not binding and the accelerator does not jam in the half open position. So I can now move it, under power.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Sorry, I did,nt look properly and had not realised that there was a specific section for past models. Anyway, I sorted the problem.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information