+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Member No: 155405 pamget is an unknown quantity at this point pamget's Avatar

Yes | No

Using regular gas vs. premium in MINI?

Hi! New user here and LOVE my MINI. Someone told me that it's a sham that dealers tell you to use only premium gas in the MINI -- that owners of "premium" cars expect to pay xtra for the luxury. For the last two tanks, I've used regular gas and don't notice a difference. What do others have to say about this?????

DaCrema

Yes | No

Re: Using regular gas vs. premium in MINI?

Depends ....
    I own a MC not MCS and use high (93) octaine gas.

There is a knock synsor that resets the timing if you use the lower grade of gas. If you are driving in city traffic and keep the rpm's you are likely to do no harm. I have done this with my car (but only on a long trip) and noticed a substantial change in performance and gas milage. A few years ago Road and Track did a test using several performance cars and found the same issue.

R&T also tested cars that called for regular fuel. They found that there was no performance gain in a car tuned for regular when using primium.

On at Supercharged car, using to low of an octaine could lead to burnt valves if you put your foot into the motor. Are you going to save inough in gas to pay for the new valves and labor? Did you by the car to drive like a econo car? If the answer is yes to either of the above questions go the the regular and be at ease. But if on your next drive you find the tac above 4.5k RPMs, you are not doing your self any favors getting regular.

John

HBMini

Yes | No

I notice more pinging with low octane.

And that can't be good for the engine. 2004 MCS.

Registered Member
    Member No: 42335 dacrema is an unknown quantity at this point dacrema's Avatar

Yes | No

you might want to read this earlier thread posted by a long time member here. I was looking for the thread when I posted earlier but was a little rushed.
    Like I said IF you drive the car like an econo box car you may be able to get away with using regular gas. But then why spend all that cash on a MINI instead of a Hyndui or used Civic - both of which are very nice econo cars.
    John

jz w/06 MC

Yes | No

Archive Search will tell all

A great question for the archive function.....

based on my review of this question, posted on mini, bmw and saab boards: potential reduced engine life (could be performance issues over 100,000 miles), lower performance. don;t konw about you, but i want every ounce of performance in my mini..

do you really think a bunch of engineers at bmw stood around and said...hmmm...lets tell the americans in their car manual that premium is required, but its not really, we just want them to spend an extra $200 a year just for kicks...???

User Level 8
    Member No: 59049 hoscarnag has a little shameless behaviour in the past hoscarnag's Avatar

Yes | No

agree...well said!

2006 Cooper S
    Premium
    Cold Weather
    Sport
    Convenience
    HK
    Center Arm Rest
    iPod

User Level 8
    Member No: 59049 hoscarnag has a little shameless behaviour in the past hoscarnag's Avatar

Yes | No

Don't do it! Stick with Top Tier premium fuel

top tier fuel

2006 Cooper S
    Premium
    Cold Weather
    Sport
    Convenience
    HK
    Center Arm Rest
    iPod

Registered Member
    Member No: 46941 bobbiej is an unknown quantity at this point bobbiej's Avatar

Yes | No

I only use Sunoco. have since day one.

91 in summer and 89 in winter. I have that cold start problem and program fixes did nothing for it, this system seems to work so I keep doing it.

Bobbie
    Finster is good as new AGAIN!
    IB/IB MCS Lapis,sport/cold packs sunroof

Rob

Yes | No

Isn't the knock sensor supposed to stop that?

I have driven my '4 MC for about 6 months now and put about 17,000 miles on the car. I have used 93 octane and I have used 89 octane gas. To be perfectly honest I have not noticed a difference in either performance or fuel economy. To be fair, most of the time I am driving in stop and go traffic and even on the open highway I don't think I ever have the RPM higher than 4,000.

Registered Member
    Member No: 120934 meyere30 is on a distinguished road meyere30's Avatar

Yes | No

Easy answer.

DONT! We get alot of Mini in that that have carbon deposites because of cheap or low grade fuel. The lowest I would go is Chevron 89 octane. Realisticlly you are only spending about 2 to 3 bucks extra per tank of fuel and its worth it. To clean the engine they make a kit the the dealer has and it runs about $300 to help clean out the deposites. And its not coverd by warrenty. You can get a lot of fuel for $300.

minigan

Yes | No

And now for an opposing view point

I've been using "cheap grade" for the last 70k miles or so. Maybe because I'm a "cheap skate" or skeptical of any differences in fuel that comes out of the hoses. On Monday I expect to top 120k on my '03 Cooper. Engine feels as strong as it ever has.

If this were a $30k+ vehicle then I'd stress about it and follow the fuel recommendations to give a nod to preserving the investment. But, come on, since you can get a Cooper in the teen$ it's basically disposable once the miles rack up. Do you think anyone looking at a car that retailed for $16+k with 150k miles on it is going to expect the engine to be like new ? There are so many factors at play here the fuel type issue will get lost. Plus, if the engine does fail during ownership, no big deal. It's grounds for getting a new one.

Let's see, 150,000 miles/30mpg = 5000 gallons.
    5000 gallons * 25cents = $1250. $1250 discount on next MINI. (Or a pair of 8gb iPhones :))

Serge

Yes | No

depend of service station/brand

OK I don't have a mini I drive a Z3 which has the same recommendation...

I mostly use regular gas but about once per month I use premium with no problem.

I did experienced with some brand the car does not "feel" like it should so I stick with the gas station with regular that my car likes and if I am out of town/unkown station, I put premium...

I really like your Minis and might get one soon...

Serge

Registered Member
    Member No: 120934 meyere30 is on a distinguished road meyere30's Avatar

Yes | No

A basic Mini is Now 25K. I assume you are not

useing am/pm gas.

Rich_V

Registered Member
    Member No: 56579 Minigan is an unknown quantity at this point Minigan's Avatar

Yes | No

I must confess my last Configuration was 3 yrs ago

I guess the price did go up. Entry point still in the teens though. I think mine started at 16400 and now it's at 18100 or so. But certainly not near 25k.

Thanks to your encouragement I did configure a nice Cooper with lots of stuff for around 26k. I was wanting to move to the new Volvo C30 that's coming out this fall but now maybe I'll stick with a new MINI. Our young lad's all set to take over the current MINI soon.

So what is am/pm gas, by the way ?

Rich_V

Yes | No

What? $18,700.00 ordered from factory.

9jds

Yes | No

Good friends of mine, who actualy got their 06MCS about 8 months before I got mine, had this problem using regualr gas.... The wife was left stuck on the side of the highway in Atlanta rush hour traffic! Reason, she ignored the Premium AND the Top Tier recommendations. (NOT THE SAME THING - do yourself a favor and read up on Top Tier if you haven't already).

When I bought mine I did a little research and found that yes, a car "rated" for regular gas will not see an improvement of quality by using premium. But cars "rated" for premium gas must use premium. Reason being, if I recall correctly, is that premium gas is formulated to burn slower than regular, making it less likely to ignite without benefit of spark. (The cause of the "pinging"). High-performance cars (which is what your MINI is), require premium gas because the engine is designed for higher compression (higher compression = more power).

Also I've heard that since regular gas doesn't burn as efficently in our cars, you actually lose MPG. So you end up buying MORE gas than if you were to use premium.

jz w/2005 X3 2.5 Non Sport
    Member No: jz w/2005 X3 2.5 Non Sport's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: depend of service station/brand

should do a blind fill up test with a passenger to see if your feeling can identify the low or high octane your passenger put in.

the only difference between brands is additives, which will vary in the degree they keep your engine running "clean".

take an 06 and and 07 out for a spin, MC or MCS, they are a blast...

hal

Yes | No

Has anythng changed regarding the use of regular gas for the clubman? Does it matter more with the S?

DaCrema

Yes | No

Clubman

I would not make a habit of using any thing other than 91 (or better). The change in gas milage and power would be amplified with the larger car. Think about it. The engine is the same as the other cars but is doing more work.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information