+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 155462 xxx123 is an unknown quantity at this point xxx123's Avatar

Yes | No

electrci water pump; alternator with clutch..

Hello,

Does anyone know if the USA 128i will use all these new technology? How about the current 3 series? They dont look good to me? I do not feel realiable...

Thanks.

Registered Member
    Member No: 112792 e60lover is an unknown quantity at this point e60lover's Avatar

Yes | No

I agree

I read about it in the BMWUSA.com website. I think both 128i and 135i are going to be equip with it. I think the 1 series is the first model equip with this new stuff. They call it "EfficientDynamics". I call it BS. I've read about many 335i's over heating and BMW thinks they can run a water pump intermittently, as needed. The only place that a water pump doesn't need to be constantly running is maybe Alaska.

Registered Member
    Member No: 114286 hppypaul is an unknown quantity at this point hppypaul's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: I agree

I believe a similar set-up for the water pump and alternator is being used in the New MINI Cooper too. Haven't heard any results.2005, Jet Black/Beige, 3.0, 6spd, Prem, Sport, Heated Seats, Xenons

bmwtech2003

Yes | No

Electric water pump intro in '06 models

The electric water pump has several advantages over the old fashioned pumps.
    1. Power. Since the new pump is not run by a belt, power and efficiency are gained.
    2. Emmissions. The engine will heat faster and lower cold start emmissions to make the feds happy.
    3. Key off cooling. The water pump will run w/o the key on to coolr the engine evenly after driving. This will help engine life by eliminating the hot spots in the engine that are there after driving. It also cools the turbos after driving and eliminated having to idle the engine after driving for turbo spindown and cooling.
    4. Electronic monitoring. The water pump is monitored by the engine control unit. If a problem is detected it can be caught before failure, possibly saving an engine or breakdown on the side of the road. Seizing bearings would be caught earlier because the voltage required to run the pump would increase to obtain the same cooling output.

If a pump fails, it fails. Mechanical pumps fail all the time and will leave you on the side of the road. Usually there is a noise that some customers do not notice before the pump fails. A check engine light will perhaps prompt a service visit and possibly avoid a breakdown.

Same thing with the clutched alternators. They also came out in the '06 my and have had very little problems. They are used when needed and are also electrically monitored. Nothing is perfect but if a problem is identified and resolved w/o a breakdown then things might work out better.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information