+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 32970 naury is an unknown quantity at this point naury's Avatar

Yes | No

Does everyone have this problem?

I have an 06 650I convertible. I am reluctant to drive it anywhere where I might have to park it on the street, squeeze into a parking lot, expose it to a valet, leave at the airport, etc.

Until just a few days ago, I had my '99 540I which I used for all the above "dangerous" duties. But the 540I has bitten the dust and is no longer available (a whole other story).

Maybe I just have to get over it. But, I just don't want the inevitable door dings, and bumper scratches, etc. that come along with life in a metropolitan area.

The 650I normally lives a pampered life, cosseted in the garage, and venturing out when I know I won't be facing the above problems. I live in the country but commute into a congested city area.

So, I could get another cheaper car just for these occasions (but who wants to drive an econobox), or I can drive my truck (not great for tight parking lots or the city).

Do many of you use your 6er's as a daily driver, and in an urban setting?

Registered Member
    Member No: 65250 mu2002cs is an unknown quantity at this point mu2002cs's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Welcome to the club

You are not nuts. I park my car out in the middle of nowhere in parking lots and never valet. Since I have SMG, I have no problem convincing the valet to allow me to park my 6 myself and in a prime valet spot. Of course, I still tip the valet

Mike

Registered Member
    Member No: 143309 ENK1 is an unknown quantity at this point ENK1's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Welcome to the club

The one time I let my fiancee use my 2006 650i Coupe, it came back with a 1" thin vertical scratch on the passenger side rear quarter panel(apparently where someone's belt buckle hit the car while they were looking in to check out the interior.}

I tried to repair it myself with a product called "Langka Scratch remover", but this was a wasted effort. Needless to say, all I ever noticed each time I drove the car for the next week was THE SCRATCH.

I subsequently had the rear quarter re-painted, paint blended in {black sapphire) and now all is well. This was after only one week of looking at THE SCRATCH. - fanatical? I don't think so.

By the way, only two weeks after I bought the car, I was bothered by the space between the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender wheel so I immediately had new Dinan springs put on and lowered it 1 1/4". $1,400, incl labor - fanatical? I don't think so. Nuts? Yep?

Registered Member
    Member No: 155072 ostanton is an unknown quantity at this point ostanton's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Does everyone have this problem?

I have a 6 series convertible and I have the same problem (do we need intervention for mental illness?): I will not park the car anywhere where it may get a door ding etc. It drives my wife crazy but my mental health (or lack of it) is more important than hers!! I do drive my car every day but I have spent considerable time familiarizing myself with the best parking spots for all of my possible trips/erands. So far no blemishes to the car! Strangely enough my two teenage children understand and provide enormous help in directing me to the best parking spots. I tease my wife that they absolutely get it!!! I previously owned a Jaguar XK8 convertible (which I really loved) but the BMW surpasses the XK8 in almost every way.

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

YES even after 30 months and 50k mile of

ownership I still park as far away from the "unwashed" as possible. My wife is getting used to it, pointing out end of row parting spots or accepting either long walk or I drop her off and "go park".

The ONE time I did not do this, and it was at a alternate work location, I got a ding. I was just livid. Could not find the baestard or else I would be in trouble. Got the paintless dent repair and I cannot even see it. whew!
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe, Silver Grey, Chateau, Sport, Logic 7, HUD, Cold Pkg, SIRIUS Sat Radio, Aux, BT w/ snap-in adapter, MP3 enabled, V1, CIP 25.02

Registered Member
    Member No: 84481 rduncan is an unknown quantity at this point rduncan's Avatar

Yes | No

YES!! Drive it and enjoy it daily

YES!!! I drive my 645Ci and enjoy it daily. It's' a treat that I want to enjoy often. Typically, when I get in I get a smile and think: "This is a terrific ride. I'm really blessed to be able to enjoy it."

I can appreciate the desire to avoid damage to the car, so I am careful to park it away from possible damage. (So far, no dings, after 40K miles).

I prefer to buy one of something that is of high quality, and enjoy using it. Winter (with snows), Summer, Wet, Dry, it is a great car.

Robert---
    MY2004 645Ci Mystic Blue and CreamBeige

Registered Member
    Member No: 46312 asstdean is an unknown quantity at this point asstdean's Avatar

Yes | No

Unique to the 6?

I do the samething- park as far away from other cars as possible; always try to get an end space, park along the street. I do some valet parking where the guys know me, but I always double tip, once on the way in, once on the way out and they keep it in a good spot.

I never had this problem with my X5, and had it for 4 years, 48,000 miles. Parked it wherever I wanted, never worried about it. When I traded it in for the 6, the X5 never had a single scratch or ding on it. I always wondered if there was sometihing about the design of the side of the X5 that somehow made it less likely that other car doors would hit it. Only car I've ever had that didn't get any kind of a ding or scratch on the sides.

Anyhow, enjoy your 6, park carefully, and if "it" happens, you'll get it repaired.

Registered Member
    Member No: 140295 AndrewDP is an unknown quantity at this point AndrewDP's Avatar

Yes | No

I live 6 miles from downtown Boston and use my 06

650i convertible daily to drive into and around the city. So far no door dings, keying or other problems, but such damage may certainly occur. A bigger problem is damaging the wheels when parking/valeting. Drive your 650 and enjoy it!

Registered Member
    Member No: 81954 pan is an unknown quantity at this point pan's Avatar

Yes | No

My 650i is my daily driver which means in the Denver area winter will cause damage from winter snow, slush and gravel blow back. I have added a clear bra to protect it and I still look for larger or more remote parking spaces.

In October I am considering taking an autocross training course sponsored by BMWCA Rocky Mountain chapter. If I do this it will probably put much more stress on the car than any road or parking hazard would cause.

Registered Member
    Member No: 26083 r.merkle is an unknown quantity at this point r.merkle's Avatar

Yes | No

get a life. my sister part on the outer limt of h@@@ in tha malls and ...... for 5 years it didnt have a scratch or dimp on it. drove down the driveways picked up a tree limb and scratched the s### out of it. drive the car and forget the little things enjoy life. it much more than a scratch on a car.

Registered Member
    Member No: 156144 flpnout is an unknown quantity at this point flpnout's Avatar

Yes | No

I have an 07 650I Convertible, Alpine White with Pearl Beige and I baby it and drives everyone crazy. I just can't bare to see anything happen to something I worked so hard in obtain a fully loaded $95k vehicle by parking it anywhere. Therefore you are not alone!! People tell me that when I do end up getting my first character on it I would eventually not care so much. Oh well. I will protect it as much as I can. I only drive it on the weekends which I look forward to and I drive an X3 as my daily car.Proud owner of 2007 Alpine White with Beige Pearl leather 650I Convertible with all options fully loaded Automatic Transmission. She's a beauty!!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information