+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 106207 M5zealot is an unknown quantity at this point M5zealot's Avatar

Yes | No

Front seat reupholstered yesterday

Have slightly recovered from engine rebuild project and decided to finally re-upholster the front seats. I was torn between going stock and going two tone, something I have been dreaming to do since I changed paint color and installed ASC body kit 8 years ago. I figured the car was far from stock now and I have gone over to the dark side! Here are some pics of the latest project. I searched high and low for this color combination online but couldn't find any pics so I had to really explain what I have envisioned to the master craftsmen at Jim's Upholstery (San Diego) I was pretty pleased with the outcome and all my friend's have given me positive reviews. I still have to figure out how to convert the rear seats to match. They are still in excellent condition. I will also need to get all the trim pieces replaced or dyed soon.The back panels had to be dyed black for the full effect. Labor & all leather surfaces took one day and cost $780.00.

Registered Member
    Member No: 24008 montypsk is an unknown quantity at this point montypsk's Avatar

Yes | No

Very nice!

Dave

Yes | No

Re: Front seat reupholstered yesterday

Very nice indeed!

Registered Member
    Member No: 45949 Philo is an unknown quantity at this point Philo's Avatar

Yes | No

I like the black & beige color combo, the PO on my car did the same thing except the head rest is all beige and only the bolsters are black. Also, the back panel is beige.

Anyway, a couple questions, I'm in the process of redoing my seats myself and was wondering if Jim's mentioned anything about the wrinkles in the driver seat, butt pad and where thew head rest rods connect with the seat back. Did Jim's mention the leather shrinking to fit or anything like that ??

I've been in the awning industry for 20 years and can handle the sewing job, however I've always worked with acrylics and vinyls, and not leather. Sewing always presents winkles due to fabric tension, machine type, operator experience, etc.., but most of the time these can be stretched out..., or maybe the leather will stretch or settle in over time.

Just wondering what they said about the wrinkles. Other than that I love your new seats !

Philo.
    ------------
    88M5

M5zealot

Yes | No

Wrinkles

Well, I'm going back this week for some minor issues, I saw some thread sticking out in some corners and don't want to touch them in case the come undone! I have to admit my seats were a rush job and the workers actually worked 45 minutes Overtime while I waited.

As far as the wrinkles, when I took delivery of the M5 in 1988, the seats did have wrinkles all over. I kind off liked that but eventually through time the seats got tighter and wrinkles disappeared. I know most have not owned their cars since new and their seats were already "fitted!" I didn't ask Jim about wrinkles because I'm assuming new leather stitched this way was normal. Head rest on drivers side is not working but I suspect I just need to 're-fix" the cord. Passenger seat is good. I trust Jim's because they have done thousands of BMW sport seats and know how to dismantle/assemble them properly. I'll let you know this week what he says.

M5zealot

Yes | No

Thanks! any ideas for the rear seats?

Have run into an issue were there are no definite separation stitches in the rear seats so two "toning" them is not going to be easy. I may have to have them modify a few stitch lines to make it work. Should I just leave them alone? They are in mint (a little faded but no crack) condition. Thanks

M5zealot

Yes | No

new seat wrinkles

Found an archive pic on a press release photo of new E28 M5 interior. As you can see, bottom cushion has some wrinkles. My car's seats on delivery had even more wrinkles. If I remember correctly, it took about a year before the leather shrank for a tighter fit.

SHADYM5

Yes | No

Re: Very nice!

Hey did he say how much to do the two front seats in the normal leather, without the two tone? Is it the same price? and how much is the rear seat going to cost yah? I have been thinking of doing a road trip down there to have the interior redone by Rich. I am up in Northern California...and have heard nothing but good things.

Dave

SHADYM5

bruce in Canada

Yes | No

everyone loves piping.

I think you need to make the back match the front it will look cool and custom.
    I think if you cut the leather and sewed on centre and side sections in Black it would be great. putting either black or beige piping will make the joint easier I think. Maybe you dont need new beige leather, just add the black. On the other hand, if you post your used rear seat covers on mye28.org they will be snapped up in a hurry and you can offset the cost.

Registered Member
    Member No: 106207 M5zealot is an unknown quantity at this point M5zealot's Avatar

Yes | No

JIms

two tone or original is same price. Brenda quoted my $600.00 for rear seat

Registered Member

Yes | No

thanks for advise bruce! will consider it

Registered Member
    Member No: 11919 rkasal is an unknown quantity at this point rkasal's Avatar

Yes | No

Nice finished product and color combination. Did you have the springs replaced too or just seat recovered? How is the carpet in the car?

Regards,

Randy Kasal

Registered Member

Yes | No

carpets need some steam cleaning but in great shape. (thanks to floor mats) springs did not need replacement

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information