+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 150923 Nobster is an unknown quantity at this point Nobster's Avatar

Yes | No

A change ,maybe.

I think my last message got lost in the shuffle. Anyway i'm contemplating selling my 89 635csi for an M5 of about the same vintage. I'm just not sure if it's worth the hassle. I do work on it as much as possible but don't need a money pit for a little more power. Can someone help me with this, tell me what to look for in a used one and how much more power can I expect to get for the investment. Thanks.

M5zealot

Yes | No

money canyon!

Unless you have a real emotional need to have one of the best BMWs ever built and deep pockets, I recommend keeping your car. Many M5s out there are getting up there in mileage and it will be only a matter of time before it will need a new engine. I would say most parts are interchangeable w/ E28s but engine and tranny are not. My engine rebuild started out with an estimate of $12,000.00. Final bill was $17,000.00 and that did not include a $3,000+ rebuilt tranny which will die soon. I'm not saying your rebuild will cost the same but this is typical of these S38s. ($400.00 for one piston!) Mine fortunately went over 234,000+ miles before engine put up the white flag. So the question again is: "speed cost money, how fast do you want to go." If you can work on most things it is not really that expensive to do most maintanance issues yourself. My rational for keeping my car was experiences like I had this weekend. An 8 year old boy came running up to me in a parking lot and said, "Hey mister! I love your M5, some day I will own one just like yours!" Check out my Flickr site to see how I save about 3k on my restoration:http://www.flickr.com/photos/randys_m5_engine_rebuild/
    email me and I'll be glad to share what I know.

Registered Member
    Member No: 150923 Nobster is an unknown quantity at this point Nobster's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: money canyon!

I understand what your saying. I'm not so great at buying cars as my heart gets carried away before my brain engages. That's what the 6'er is all about. Flew to NY after buying her on e-bay. It's justa shame as I've always wanted the M5 and don't appreciate the styling of latter years. I can't say it won't come up again but after a simple flush and fill on the radiator turned into a $600 job 'cos they snapped the male hose connection at the top of the radiator off, and so i had to get a completely new radiator, I don't have the money to find the devil I don't know. I'm just looking for something to put some speed into her movement, and at 4000lbs+ I wanted to maintain something that already has the power instead of spending $1000's to achieve it. Thanks.

bruce in Canada

Yes | No

sadly the M5 is no longer about speed

There are just too many everyday cars out there that can run a 6 sec 0-60....
    I like my M5 as an effort to "DO IT RIGHT" by bmw. It was the best of the world's technology in the late 80's

I plan to keep it as a good example of how things were. I have had very little problems with the car. I only do stuff that is kind of invented maintenance. It has never missed a beat so it is very reliable.

I do about 5k km a year. car has around 140k km...

Registered Member
    Member No: 123746 Randomg is an unknown quantity at this point Randomg's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: sadly the M5 is no longer about speed

While a 6 second 0-60 is fairly common, if you take a look at power/weight ratio (of a chipped m5 at least), it still is better than nearly everything not claiming to be a sports car. Just because it doesn't have the traction to have the a better 0-60 time doesn't mean it won't out run a rsx/integra type-s, or keep up with an sti past 30.

It'll still beat/run with the top end camry/accord/3 series (minus the 335i).

M5zealot

Yes | No

fast cars but slow drivers?

I agree there are many cars out there grandma can drive and perhaps blow the doors of an E28 M5. However, I know there are very few M5's out there that are not at least chipped. I have not had a chance to dyno my new engine but w/ Dinan chip, cam gear, euro headers, fahey track pipe,ported & polised intake trumpets etc. I have been able to keep most rice rockets and Yuppie Jockies in their VANOS, V-TEC, i-Drive, 2 1/2 ton cars in impromtu speed contest. The trump card for the E28 is no one expects it to be this quick and the howl of all six throttle bodies and brat of the exhaust have "scared" off a few challengers. I'm too old to be racing and boosting my ego with my 20 year old car but I will defend the "badge" to best of my ability against heavier similarly powered sedans. A friend told me the other day, the new V-10 M5 has received such glowing performance reviews that it is not entirely impossible for "Joe Infiniti G35" to assume our old M5's have similar supercar performance! I have had many people at gas stations ask me how much gas my V-10 consumes! So speed is relative. I will never trade my M5 for any other car

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information