+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Bruce in Canada

Yes | No

valve shim tool... anyone feel like lending one?

Seems like a bit of a waste to buy a new tool to adjust just one car.
    If anyone wants to lend me their tool, that would be fantastic. I will be happy to contribute towards what you have invested in it.

Let me know. Id like to change a couple of shims.

Registered Member
    Member No: 129626 MomentumBob is an unknown quantity at this point MomentumBob's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: valve shim tool... anyone feel like lending one?

I'll purchase one that you can borrow, Bruce. Have you researched the best deal on buying one ?

Bruce in canada

Yes | No

Only a basic google search... I have read that sometimes the cheaper one is a little soft and has trouble to depress some of the buckets.
    Ill do a little more work on looking this week.
    B

Registered Member
    Member No: 129626 MomentumBob is an unknown quantity at this point MomentumBob's Avatar

Yes | No

O.K. Let me know what you find out. I have machining capability so if we had to we could maybe copy a less expensive piece in 4140 if we had to.

Bruce in canada

Yes | No

hold on.. I found another way

I decided to take off the valve cover.. and see where I am for clearances.
    I picked up the closest thing I had to the shape of the proper tool.
    It was an allen key, I picked a size that just fit between 2 shims. then I pried it back and was able to lift out a shim. I had a small jeweler's screwdriver and a magnet and it was no big deal at all.

I sometimes find that there is so much hype about this and so many horror stories about these things that I get caught up in it. I went to the dealer and they quoted over 800 dollars to do a valve adjustment.

for me, I timed myself. 10 mins to pull the valve cover, then took me 5 mins to find my little push button switch to put into the diagnostic connector and crank the starter.

then no more than 4 mins to get the shim out, I am sure the next will be faster.
    I then measured all the clearances and there are only 2 that just below the lower end of the spec... pushing my starter button a few times... until the cam is in the right spot for each one.

still less than an hour's work and All I have to do now is find 2 shims. If I was a dealer they might even be right in the shop.

so even with HUGE exaggeration and even if there were more shims to change.. this is less than a 2 hour job.

OH ya... so much for the special tool... I would like to have one - one day .. but certainly not needed for the 2 shims I need to change.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: hold on.. I found another way

As much pleasure as I derive from improvising a tool from materials at hand to perform a difficult function, do you really think that it compares to the rush you get from spending way too much money on some special tool that you're going to use maybe 3 times in your life. I think not. Tool junkies will not be seduced by your MacGivorism.

Bruce in Canada

Yes | No

I hear ya Bob...

either way, my shim will be in tomorrow morning for the grand old price of 15 dollars.. and then my job will be done.
    whatever the maintenance interval is for valve clearances, and the mileage I drive this.. I am off the hook for years....

I have a d'Silva chip in the mail so no fears of redline with good valves..

B

Registered Member
    Member No: 123746 Randomg is an unknown quantity at this point Randomg's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: hold on.. I found another way

Tried this today, couldn't get anywhere close to enough force from the allen wrench. If someone in the Seattle area has the tool, I'd like to borrow/rent it to get this thing done. 7 were out of spec, only one was way out (and it's clearance was too large, not to small).

MikeNH

Yes | No

suprized

I've done several adjustments and even with the tool some could be a PITA.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information