+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 46022 M3texas is an unknown quantity at this point M3texas's Avatar

Yes | No

'07 650 w/ Manual Transmission?

I'm in the market for a new 650 convertible and so far after going to three dealerships (in Southern, CA), every single 650 on the lot has Steptronic Automatic transimission. My first thought is that I want a manual transmission as I'm coming off an 05 330 Convertible and an 04 M3 - both of which were manual transmission.

Does anyone on the forum have a manual transmission? Any ideas on why this is so hard to find? Any drawbacks on this model for manual transmission?

Thanks for your thoughts! Can't wait to actually get the car!

Registered Member
    Member No: 156144 flpnout is an unknown quantity at this point flpnout's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: '07 650 w/ Manual Transmission?

I have always had manual transmission cars and I did test drive the manual transmission version of a 650I, but after I had a chance to compare it with the automatic. I decidedI wanted an automatic transmission after a couple of test drive. I found that the automatic is just a responsive in my opinion. I found that driving such a big car especially in the San Francisco bay area traffic and being that this car is a "luxury sports convertible" I just felt it made more sense to have an automatic transmission. I kinda enjoy not having to shift anymore for once in my life and still get an enjoyment out of the automatic on my 650I.Proud owner of 2007 Alpine White with Beige Pearl leather 650I Convertible with all options fully loaded Automatic Transmission. She's a beauty!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

See if you can find a used one (any year) to test drive. Then drive the STEP. If you still want the 6sp in a new 6er then have your chosen dealer do a national search for the spec you want. You cannot order a new 07 anymore. Will be MY08s. And they have a new better Sport STEP as an option with paddle shifters.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe|Silver Grey|Chateau|Sport|Logic 7|HUD|Cold Pkg|SAT|AUX|BT w/ snap-in adapter|MP3|V1|CIP 25.02

www.knightsoftheroundel.com

Registered Member
    Member No: 49219 JMDDHS is an unknown quantity at this point JMDDHS's Avatar

Yes | No

I have a 06 manual coupe and would not have it any other way. I ordered the car and had it in 7 weeks. When I ordered the car, I was told that the cabs were a harder resale with manual. I do not regret my decision and would do it again. Im not an automatic transmission guy ( paddle shifters or not ). If you want a manual, order the car and ENJOY IT...

Registered Member
    Member No: 46022 M3texas is an unknown quantity at this point M3texas's Avatar

Yes | No

JMDDHS, cobradav, CrisFlip...thanks for the insight on this. I did test drove the Steptronic Auto and played around with it in details (sports mode, shifting, etc) and it was actually much more responsive than I thought it would be.

So...I BOUGHT ONE! Black Saphirre, Black Top, Black Leather with practically all options except Night Vision. The dealer made me such a good deal on an '07 that I couldn't pass up...got it for $1000 over invoice (which was about 7K off of MSRP in CA), in addition BFS was providing a $3500 rebate to returning customers. Too good to pass up! I love the car. I've been walking around with a constant smile for the last 3 days.

Looking forward to contributing more posts to the board.

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Great choice - Congrats

_______
    US '05 645 Coupe|Silver Grey|Chateau|Sport|Logic 7|HUD|Cold Pkg|SAT|AUX|BT w/ snap-in adapter|MP3|V1|CIP 25.02

www.knightsoftheroundel.com

Registered Member
    Member No: 156144 flpnout is an unknown quantity at this point flpnout's Avatar

Yes | No

Congrats on your new Toy!! Awesome deal too!!!

Host unlimited photos at slide.com for FREE!

Proud owner of 2007 Alpine White with Beige Pearl leather 650I Convertible with all options fully loaded Automatic Transmission. She's a beauty!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 9584 wgsrls is an unknown quantity at this point wgsrls's Avatar

Yes | No

Go for the manual if that makes you happy. Came from a long line of M3s, MCoupes, and even an S4 and didn't think much of the 6 until I tried the 6 speed. To me, it was an overblown coupe, nothing more. Well...I was wrong. I've driven all the variations of the 6. Don't care much for convertibles and have a coupe. Can't afford the M, but would probably have to scratch my head over the SMG vs the six speed, the motor was well matched to the SMG I drove though. To me, the car transformed itself from a lazy, beautiful cruiser into something I could build a relationship with and I run this thing through the gears every chance I get. There's something wonderfully incongruous about a stick in the car, but it works beautifully. I can't imagine driving anything w/o a stick and am completely happy with the car. The only other choice that comes close might be the Aston's V8.

Were I a dealer, I wouldn't have a manual 6 on my lot unless a customer ordered it...most with the beans to buy the car simply want an automatic.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information