+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 132328 Sandra is an unknown quantity at this point Sandra's Avatar

Yes | No

Feeling Cheated

I recently had my 2005 6 Series in for service with complaints of feeling a hard lunge forward when proceeding from a complete stop and also hard shifting or stuttering when coming to a complete stop. The car was road tested and the service department verified these issues. PUMA authorized updated to be done to the car's software, but the problem still existed, confirmed by the technician. After keeping my car for five full days, I was told there was nothing else they could do for me, so I took the car home and contacted BMW, NA.

After several weeks of communicating with BMW, NA, this week I was finally told that the engineers at BMW, NA feel that there is nothing wrong with my vehicle and the issues I am having with my car are normal. However, they didn't explain why while in the shop they made an attempt to fix the "nonexistant" problem (i.e., update the software twice, change the idle speeds, and contacted PUMA several times for instruction on what to do). BMW, NA did offer me $5,000 assistance toward another vehicle. What a joke since I paid upwards of $80,000 for the car initially with all the upgrades, etc.

It is insulting, frustrating, and disappointing that BMW, NA is trying to tell me that the issues with my vehicle is normal. The vehicle only has 29,000 miles on it.

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem may be and how to fix it?

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Feeling Cheated

You are in a pickle. If your symptom is so repeatable and consistent I cannot see how they can make this claim. There have been verified issues with tranny SLAM or engine stuttering. You may have one or the other or both.

There have been reports of a traveling BMW Field Engineer that comes to the dealer on these particularly difficult issues and reprograms the individual and specific EGS (tranny controller). I think reported here on this forum if I am not mistaken. It may also include the DME/ECU (engine control) but do not recollect off hand.

There have been real hardware issues with the engine stumble as well. However, if they are not getting fault codes this is probably not likely.

Try this. Depending on offerings available I would try to test drive other 645 or even 545 in your configuration (same tranny) on the used car market to see what they feel like to you. Once you satisfy yourself that your car is verifiably different (bad) then invite BMWNA or at least your dealer to do the same comparison. Alternately, if you have 6er owner friends or board members nearby that you can swap cars to test. But for the EGS learning your driving style these should all feel the same for like configuration.

And then one more thing. This I have not tried but many swear by it. Take a look here and see if this can do anything for you.
    http://forums.[Oops!]/index.php?showtopic=40018&hl=reset+STEP
    (replace [Oops1] with this text with no spaces e 6 0.n e t

_______
    US '05 645 Coupe|Silver Grey|Chateau|Sport|Logic 7|HUD|Cold Pkg|SAT|AUX|BT w/ snap-in adapter|MP3|V1|CIP 25.02

www.knightsoftheroundel.com

Registered Member
    Member No: 98485 johnbyrne is an unknown quantity at this point johnbyrne's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Feeling Cheated

I test drove two different 05 645s today and noticed a pronounced lurch fwd when pulling to a stop. I chocked it up to my experience with any number of BMW idiosyncracies my various cars have manifested over the years, but it gave me pause about taking on what could be a very, very expensive maintenance liability in my new/used car (not sure what/if I'll buy at this point.
    I can also say that I've had a very similar experience - only in reverse - when my dealership couldn't find an obvious problem (a faulty 02 sensor) several years ago and after admitting that the symptom existed denied that there was a problem when they couldn't figure it out. I kept being a very squeaky wheel and they brought in some sort of national service supervisor, who took one spin in the car (with myself and the service writer) and immediately pegged it as a faulty 02 sensor and the issue was resolved (after multiple trips to the dealership and much conflict and heartburn w/ the service manager).

BMW makes great cars, but they're just as cynical and self-serving as any large corporation and it's a damned shame, but it it appears that it's incumbent upon those of us who get the "privilege" of buying their not-inexpensive products to hold them accountable.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information