+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 33358 martinsmith is an unknown quantity at this point martinsmith's Avatar

Yes | No

BMW 2002 TiiL 1975 or 1976 re. California Smog?

I own a 2002 TiiL stored presently in the UK and I need to bring it over to California... it's VIN number I am told by BMW states that it was built in June 1975 but it was not registered in the UK until Jan 1976.... for Smog exemption which date counts? I noted at the California DMV web site:
    http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/appndxa/hlthsaf/hs44200.htm

copy below:
    Health and Safety Code
    Direct Import Used Motor Vehicles
    44200.**For purposes of this chapter, "used direct import vehicle" means any 1975 or later model-year direct import vehicle not required to be certified as a new direct import vehicle pursuant to this part.
    For purposes of this section, the age of a motor vehicle shall be determined by the following, in descending order of preference:
    (a) From the first calendar day of the model year as indicated in the vehicle identification number.
    (b) From the last calendar day of the month the vehicle was delivered by the manufacturer as shown on the foreign title document.
    (c) From January 1 of the same calendar year as the model year shown on the foreign title document.
    (d) From the last calendar day of the month the foreign title document was issued.
    (Amended Ch. 859, Stats. 1989. Effective January 1, 1990.)

the confusing sentence is "in descending order of preference".. does this mean that the VIN i.e. year of manufacture (a) supersedes the registration date (b)?...

any collectors who are lawyers out there that might have some ideas would be great!

Martin Smith

Registered Member
    Member No: 21410 02Les is an unknown quantity at this point 02Les's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: BMW 2002 TiiL 1975 or 1976 re. California Smog?

When I brought my Touring over from the UK. I had to surrender the VO5 Document in order to get a Title. The details on the VO5 became the details on the Title. CA maybe different than Texas however?

Registered Member
    Member No: 33358 martinsmith is an unknown quantity at this point martinsmith's Avatar

Yes | No

thanksfor the info but I wonder if the VIN is the final arbitrator of its age?

Registered Member
    Member No: 15590 RIP is an unknown quantity at this point RIP's Avatar

Yes | No

I think the rules refer to the new vins.....

I dont know about the UK but current vins have the build date as part of the vin. I believe they started that in 1982.The vin on your car does not reflect a date outright.....I would try like heck to get it declared its proper age....before its at customs

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: I think the rules refer to the new vins.....

thanks for your input... I do have a letter from BMW stating that this car was built in June 1975 (2771032) but don't know if California DMV will allow that for dating purposes or only the UK Registration date of Jan 1976?...

Martin Smith

2o=00=o2

Yes | No

For what it's worth, I do homologation work for a Euro motorcycle company and the only time I've seen where CARB has used a specific implementation date (in this case Jan. 01, 1997) was with Off-Highway emission regulations. Anything manufactured after that date needed to have a "3" or a "C" in the 8th position of the 17-digit VIN to indicate non-compliance and it did not use a “Model Year” as the criteria. Current regulations are by "model year" which is indicated by the VIN’s 10th position and that means at the time of manufacture, which in most cases is June/July/August of the preceding model year (i.e., 2008 models are usually manufactured starting in June 2007). The Federal EPA always goes by model year VIN coding and CARB would also have to go by model year and not actual date of manufacture. The titles and documentation never have the date (day/year) of manufacture of any vehicle so I’m pretty sure which “model year” is listed on the “legal” documentation is the qualifier for age of the vehicle. A 1976 ’02 manufactured on September 1, 1975 or in May 31, 1976 is still a 1976 BMW on any legal documentation. I would check the Federal EPA and DOT regulations on this because you first have to first get the car past U.S. Customs/EPA/DOT to even think about CARB’s position. IMO it’s “Model Year” and not the “born on” date that determines the age of a vehicle.

2o=00=o2

Registered Member

Yes | No

thanks for the info.....

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

When I looked yours up it showed as a June 75

production it should be a 75 MY. I have a July 75 production and it is definately a 75 MY. I always thought most of the changes were in Sept. until some of the newer cars when they started doing strange things like the 2000/2001 e38s.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: When I looked yours up it showed as a June 75

thanks for your input....this may all be right but I still don't know what the California DMV go by to date the car?... the VIN or the date of first Registration in my case Jan 1976?....

Martin Smith

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information