+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 157290 elliottambulance is an unknown quantity at this point elliottambulance's Avatar

Yes | No

1976 2002 engine replacement

I have a 1976 2002 the E-12 engine is toast, Someone gave me an option of replacing it with a 1977 320 engine. Anyone every done this, heard of it, pros cons anything I should know. He mentioned the intake and exhaust would also have to be replaced, will this add a ton of labor?

Registered Member
    Member No: 157290 elliottambulance is an unknown quantity at this point elliottambulance's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 1976 2002 engine replacement

Also anyone know where to get a quality engine for this car, it's the e-12 head with the weber carb. It's an clean and beautiful car just needs an engine replacement.

Registered Member
    Member No: 106174 badcabbage02 is an unknown quantity at this point badcabbage02's Avatar

Yes | No

Well, I'm part way into exactly what you are doing. I bought a rebuilt M10 engine from a guy who did a rebuild for a 77 320i but owner never picked it up - he just wanted to get rid of it and so the price was good. $300.00 deliver charge from Wisconsin to Virginia. I have the paperwork and can see the valves, seats, and guides - fresh, lubed - sweat.

The factory nomenclature stamped on the 320i engine/block/head are same as 2002.

I pulled the intake injection off (thought about running 2002 with injection but was told delivery lines from gas tank can't handle the injection pressure) so am going with the intake/carb from my worn out 02 engine. I have tii headers already and will use them with the newer trimmer 320i heat sheild for the spark plug wires.

The ONLY major issue I've encountered thus far is the cylinder head for the 320i was not drilled from the mechanical fuel pump (the space is there and it is the same 2 litre m10 engine, minus the holes)- thus will have to get an electronic fuel pump.

Here is a photo on Flickr website:
    http:[email protected]/1307426315/in/set-72157600369299622/

Registered Member
    Member No: 106174 badcabbage02 is an unknown quantity at this point badcabbage02's Avatar

Yes | No

oh, and the oil pan is "deeper" on the 320i (so I've been told), will prolly have to switch out to 2002 oil pan... (with new gasket)

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

Let us know what pump you use.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Let us know what pump you use.

will do... another 02er on this message board (from whom I first learned of said need for electornic pump) gave me the name of the one he uses to great delight... but I forgot the name - I will do a search..

Registered Member

Yes | No

Don't get one that puts out too much pressure.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Don't get one that puts out too much pressure.

I will check this out.

Registered Member

Yes | No

You only want 3-5 psi, also keep the factory by-

Registered Member
    Member No: 118085 alternativez2003 is an unknown quantity at this point alternativez2003's Avatar

Yes | No

I used one from Jeg's which also came with a nifty

wiring kit with relay. The only problem was that it had no automatic shut-off. It always worked better than the mechanical pump in my opinion. It's in the trunk, and I replaced all the plastic fuel lines, which run through the interior, with steel. I don't need it anymore.

Registered Member
    Member No: 118085 alternativez2003 is an unknown quantity at this point alternativez2003's Avatar

Yes | No

Engine swaps are tougher than they sound (long)

I'm doing an m42 from a '91 318is into my '76 '02. It has required replacing the steering box with the R&P from a 320i and rebuilding the steering column, a major re-engineering job. I've fabricated the engine, trans, and rack mounts from BMW pieces so they look stock, had a driveshaft made from the E30 and the '02 pieces; I'm building the exhaust, and then there's the fuel delivery, radiator, wiring...Of course I had to rebuild the engine with all new seals and gaskets, clean everything and polish the aluminum bits...It just goes on. I have tried to do this on a budget, using parts from the E30, from my E24 which I've dismantled for another project(1970 240Z), and from the '02, but still I've probably spent two grand. Sure, I enjoy doing this stuff, but be careful as you plan your swap. I think the E12 should be relatively straightforward, but be prepared for some surprises. I feel I am a fairly accomplished mechanic for my own purposes with a nice garage and plenty of tools, but still, I wonder why I get myself into these things. I'm not trying to talk you out of doing it, just give yourself plenty of time and money, and if you have a "significant other" to contend with, be sure that person understands your dream. I'm lucky; my wife loves cars and pushes me to finish what I start. Good luck

Registered Member
    Member No: 158139 ndn2002 is an unknown quantity at this point ndn2002's Avatar

Yes | No

Hi Josh,

I don't know if you've found a solution to your problem? But, I have an engine(with the E12 head) with approximately 10,000 documented miles:) Let me know if you're interested? $2500/OBO plus S/H.

Thanks, Matthew

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information