+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 157380 zinder1 is an unknown quantity at this point zinder1's Avatar

Yes | No

2002 Trunk Lock

Hello All! I recently purchased a 1974 BMW 2002. The trunk was locked with the ignition key as the owner did not provide me with the smaller trunk key. It will not open and I was wondering how I might get in it again or if anyone has a replacement lock and key in the event I need to drill it out. Many thanks in advance for helpful info.

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

Do you have numbers on the other key? Any chance

BMW can do a search? I will look at mine.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Do you have numbers on the other key? Any chan

No, the only key I have is for the ignition and it is not marked with numbers, just reads BMW. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Roy!

Timmer

Yes | No

Re: Do you have numbers on the other key? Any chan

Al,

The original 2002 trunk key starts with a "W" and is followed, I believe, by 4 numbers., opposite side of the stamped BMW logo. "Ilco" trunk lock keys for a 2002 are either "114" or "120" series; the 114 key looks similar to the original. A locksmith should be able to fix you up or the nearest BMW dealer to you, by the 2002's VIN I would think.

Tim
    '69 2000

Registered Member
    Member No: 58142 ROYinGA is an unknown quantity at this point ROYinGA's Avatar

Yes | No

My keys are Huf. The trunk is only cut on one

side and is SX29. The ignition is cut on both sides and is W---- (4 numbers). I also have a small gas cap key.

Timmer

Yes | No

Re: My keys are Huf. The trunk is only cut on one

Those are the original manufacturer's keys Roy, Huff keys, which, I imagine may be available from the dealer. The ignition key for my 1969 2000 is an Ilco, BMW1- B80NR. The trunk lock ( same as the 2002 ) key is the Huff key., cut on one side. I used to have a spare trunk lock/key Al, but sold it a few years ago.

Tim
    '69 2000

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: 2002 Trunk Lock

No, the only key I have is for the ignition and it is not marked with numbers, just reads BMW. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Roy!

Clydeg

Yes | No

the old trick is to give it a sharp lick with the end of a 2x4 on the rear panel ( right above the trunk button, iifc - it has been years since I had to do it) to pop the trunk open, then you can unscrew the lock mechanism keeper and take it to a locksmith.

Registered Member
    Member No: 65250 mu2002cs is an unknown quantity at this point mu2002cs's Avatar

Yes | No

Al,

I have never tried this method, but have seen this solution posted before. Suggest you search the board.

Remove the rear trunk lid roundel. Then using a long thin schrewdriver, insert in the hole a work around to pop the trunk. Then remove the lock and take it to a locksmith (though unlikely to have a key blank) or just go to the dealer and buy a new lock (less than $100 with BMWCCA discount). You can also call 2002AD and get a used lock and key.

Good luck

Mike

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information