+ Reply to Thread
    CarolinaShark

Yes | No

Any Mechanics in here?

I'm considering a career change. Thinking of going to a good tech school, doing manufacturer specific (prob. BMW or Porsche), and starting my own shop. Any advice/input?

Bruce in Canada

Yes | No

I wish I could do that.

unfortunately I have not found a way to make a business plan to run a repair shop honestly and make a decent profit.

let me know what your plan is... I am curious..

I would love to be fixing cars and making a living.

CarolinaShark

Yes | No

The Plan

As stated, I would want to go to a good school because I have no experience and you can get like 5 years experience going to 1 year of school. Then do the manufacturer training, which is another 3 mos. or so, then work for a year to 2 years. I already have a Bachelors in Business Admin. and have been managing a block of business worth about $3-4 mil. in revenue for 4 years, so I feel like I could manage the responsibility. However, I am now 28 years old and I am making about $100k a year, which makes it harder to leave. I still can't figure out if I don't like my job, or I just don't like work. I fear it may be the latter.

Bruce in Canada

Yes | No

I think we have some good similarities...

there was an article in the economist about a car guy that left his "wall street" job to run a repair shop for fancy cars.
    He is reportedly doing well.

If you want to come to Montreal ( or make a suggestion ) and set something up there.. I am for sure your partner.

Registered Member
    Member No: 156334 86BMW535i is an unknown quantity at this point 86BMW535i's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Any Mechanics in here?

YEA! GO TO WYOTECH.. and if you can graduate with 90% then BMW will pay an extra 25,000 for more school for you to become a bmw tech.. i HIGHLY recomend it.. i am attending there now n so far have well over 90%

CarolinaShark

Yes | No

Re: I think we have some good similarities...

Thanks buddy. Montreal would be cool, I think, except for probably 6 months of the year. Not a big fan of that kind of cold having lived in SC for most of my life.

CarolinaShark

Yes | No

What about UTI?

There is one very near me and I think they offer the same kind of deal. What is your background? Highschool degree, Bachelors, work experience... etc.? What is your plan after you finish Wyotech?

emccallum

Yes | No

Re: I think we have some good similarities...

Where in SC? I am located in Greenwood. I have always thought of opening a shop to work on higher end cars. I cant really leave my ob, but if I ever ran across a good mechanic htat needed a partner (capital) then it would be something I would consider. There is only one guy here that will touch a BMW. He is pretty good, and is a very nice fellow, but I wonder how much longer he will stick with it (he isnt too young). Good luck!

CarolinaShark

Yes | No

I'm in Columbia

Unfortunately, we have several guys who work on BMWs and German cars in general here. Thanks for the response.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information