+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 71587 MMII is an unknown quantity at this point MMII's Avatar

Yes | No

Differential swap-better mileage

Does anyone know of a diff swap (from 320) that would give my 1976 2002 better mileage.It currently has 3:64 ratio and max economy is my goal. I would prefer not to go to 5 speed.

Registered Member
    Member No: 120934 meyere30 is on a distinguished road meyere30's Avatar

Yes | No

If you can get a 2.79 or 2.91 that would help some

However you maybe only talking about 3 to 4 miles per gallon gain. I f you can get one in good shape real cheap then go for it. And also I am not sure if they have these ratios for this diff.

Registered Member
    Member No: 118085 alternativez2003 is an unknown quantity at this point alternativez2003's Avatar

Yes | No

On the topic of differentials, m42 update..

Hey, I've just realized what was causing the leaky input seal on my '76. The front bearing is seized to the shaft, and the shaft is flappin' in the breeze in the seal, and it had the weight of the driveshaft on it. Something everyone might take a look at. I either need to rebuild mine or find a good one. I'm not sure it can be rebuilt. I'll have to tear it open and see. I have the diff from the 318is, but I'm not anxious to go through all it might take to swap it into the "02, because of the difference in mounting, but more because I've already had a driveshaft made to mate the 5 speed from the m42 to the rear.

The engine and trans are in the car, and looking pretty fine, I might add. I've been polishing the upper aluminum parts, and the engine stands and oil pans got a medium polishing in cleanup. The nice, like-new rack and pinion are ready to go back in to stay with a the steering column rebuilt from my 6, and looking remarkably like the one in the MINI, and I'm replacing the firewall insulation and the insulation and springs et al in the pedal box. Everyone should do that sometime. It's a messy world wherein work the clutch and brake pedals upon which one's life relies. But good luck getting the springs for the pedal resistance; I might have gotten the last one from overseas.

My engine mounts are perfect, from the 85 635 instead of the m42. Those would not fit, and they are too expensive. I already had this set to mount the m30 into my 240Z, so they saved the day. I've redone everything I've touched except sadly, the clutch. It had soome wear on the plate, but I'm wagering the my time to tear it out again later against the cost of new right now. I've tried to do this on a budget, as a car that I'm just repairing because it truly was a daily driver, but I've spent a large chunk and long hours, but it shows, (or actually never is brought into question) in the authenticity, ingenuity, and hopefully in the reliability of the car as a complete package. I think it will be just about "the perfect '02."

Sorry to snag the post, just wanted to say hello, Scotty. I hope to say, "It's running!" sometime soon. It's been an exhausting and rewarding experience. This morning, lying under the engine checking out the clearnaces of my final engine mounting allowing for more weight of additional engine components, and even AC, and the eventual aging of engine bushings, and it is perfect. That has to be the cutest little header ever...Anyway, it all just brought an actual smile and a great deal of satisfaction. I sure hope it works as I expect it will in the end.

So, Scotty, How's your 1600?

And, oh yes, I might need a new differential, so if anyone has one lying around, email me at [email protected] Thanks. Later. Jim

Registered Member

Yes | No

The 1600 is good but going up for sale. I have

decided to take a lose and sell it for $1800. It needs some work but drives good. I miss my my E30.
    Good to hear the project is moving along.That car is going to fly down the road.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Or trade it for an E30.

Yes | No

better milage

use taller tires and keep them properly inflated.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information