+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 131687 jdeocampo is an unknown quantity at this point jdeocampo's Avatar

Yes | No

Should Dunlop runflats wear out after 16800 miles?

My 2006 650i convertible was delivered to me at the BMW Spartanburg plant with the M Cross Spoke Composite 101 (20") rims with OE Dunlop sport 01 DSST already in place. After 16,800 miles, there was a flapping sound noted at speeds above 30 mph. At the dealer, it was pointed out that inner tread blocks were worn on both of my rear tires with a rubber stip torn out on the left inner rim of the tire and this was bumbing on the sidewalls causeing the flapping sound. Scottsdale North BMW said this was regular wear and tear and replaced the both rear tires and charge me $980 despite the fact that I showed them SIB 36 02 05. They said this was for 5 series vehicles only. Is this true or should I call BMW customer service directly? Should the dealer have called BMW Tire and filed a PUMA first?

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Should Dunlop runflats wear out after 16800 miles?

That's unfortunate. I'm sure dealer will try to play their advantage as much as possible. Should they? Porbably not so yes I would try BMWNA. Remember, you are size up (20") and on a tire that is not standard equipment on the e63. Not a lot of Dunlops on US Spec 6ers to compare as all Sport Package vehicles are delivered with Bridgestone and in 19" obviously. It is a shame that SIB does only refer to E60s. The 6er has a little more (1 degree) negative camber than the 5er so I would expect the inner tread blocks to wear faster than on a E60. That is the normal wear pattern. I got 30K on my OEM Bridgestones, but getting less on my second set (same tires), probably about 23-24K.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe|Silver Grey|Chateau|Sport|Logic 7|HUD|Cold Pkg|SAT|AUX|BT w/ snap-in adapter|MP3|V1|CIP 25.02

www.knightsoftheroundel.com

Registered Member
    Member No: 131687 jdeocampo is an unknown quantity at this point jdeocampo's Avatar

Yes | No

Are all SIBs car specific? What happens when an brand new 650i (or M6) is brought in for service because the "Remote Key Falls Out of CAS Holder" and "the cup holder jams when retracted"? I hope that the dealer doesn't say that SIB 61 09 05 and SIB 51 37 05 is only for the 3 Series and say we have pay to replace the Car Access System Holder and the cup holder. Having said this, why would the Dunlop SIB conveniently be for the E60 only?

Registered Member
    Member No: 118845 bmwlex is an unknown quantity at this point bmwlex's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Should Dunlop runflats wear out after 16800 mi

while we are on this subject i will need to replace my stock 19" bridgestone potenzas soon, any suggestions? i definitely want run flats. No objection to staying with the bridgestones.
    -lex-lex
    2005 645ci coupe black sapphire/beige/sport/winter/logic7/ 904 build

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

SIBs are vehicle specific. Even down to specifying a specific chassis out of a series such as e63 and not an e64 or e90 and not an e92. Some SIBs will cover a wide range of models such as e90/91/92/93/60/61/63/64 and more if and when appropriate.

The reason the Dunlop SIB did not cover e63/64 was it was not an OEM supplied tire in either the standard configuration or Sport package in North America. YOu COULD order them but they were a special order even on 19" rims at a higher cost tehn the Bridgestones. What you got was special order outside of the OEM package. I can't speak to the ROW (rest of world) as they may have had other options for standard tires.

_______
    US '05 645 Coupe|Silver Grey|Chateau|Sport|Logic 7|HUD|Cold Pkg|SAT|AUX|BT w/ snap-in adapter|MP3|V1|CIP 25.02

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Should Dunlop runflats wear out after 16800 mi

Well I went with them for a second time back about 23,000 miles ago. And for all the right safety reasons. Now I've decided to be a little adventerous (never having had a flat or even loosing air). I just ordered Michelin PS2s today to be put on by the dealer next week. I cannot believe all the claims that they are soooo much better, so I will just have to see for myself.

But for 53k miles I was satisfied with the Bridgestone RFTs and, I think, always a "safe" choice.

_______

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information