+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 158234 ohareusa is an unknown quantity at this point ohareusa's Avatar

Yes | No

4 front 18 inch ellipsoid sport wheels -dangerous?

I recently purchased an '06 650i coupe (black on black) and love it. The car is very clean and runs like a dream.

However, I took it in for a service and to have the tires checked etc. It seems that I have front 18 inch ellipsoid sport wheels in the back as well as the front and not the 19 inch wheels that I should have. The dealer said that I cannot drive it hard and to be careful cornering etc etc. "This is not what BMW specified etc."

Is his concern well founded and do I need to go out and buy new rear wheels and the $500 a piece run flat tires? I bought the car as is (it has a clean car fax etc.) so have no redress with the seller.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 4 front 18 inch ellipsoid sport wheels -dangerous?

There is no BMW OEM ellipsoid wheel Do not know what you have. However, the non-Sport Package 6er came equipped with 18 inch all around (non ellipsoid) and there is no performance issue at all. All the wider wheel/tire does is give an slightly better esthetic look and maybe reduce under steer a little but that is no biggy. You will have a slightly more comfortable ride as your tire ratio should be higher like ###/45/18 where on 19 inch rims we ride on 40 ratio fronts and 35 ratio rears in the OEM setup. Do not rush out and change based on this uninformed comment by someone at your dealer.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe|Silver Grey|Chateau|Sport|Logic 7|HUD|Cold Pkg|SAT|AUX|BT w/ snap-in adapter|MP3|V1|CIP 25.02

www.knightsoftheroundel.com

Registered Member
    Member No: 158234 ohareusa is an unknown quantity at this point ohareusa's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 4 front 18 inch ellipsoid sport wheels -danger

Thanks for the response - mine is a "sport" so I think it should have 19 inch wheels in the back.

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

You have to be careful with the word "Sport". There is a "Sports Package Option that varies in its offerings based on the model year. Since you have a MY06 that package would have consisted of: Style 121 ellipsoids @ 19x8.5 front, and 19x9.0 inch rear; 8-way power front sport seats with adjustable headrest and manualk thigh support; Shadowline High-Gloss exterior trim. In MY05 and '04 that also would have included "Active Steering". The sports package is option "ZSP"

The standard wheel for that time was the 18x8.0 Double Star Spoke (Style 120).

Two thnks could have happened here - and both have happened to others when buying a used car.

1) Mis-information by the selling party: has happened to my knowledge to at least two others who were told they were getting a "Sport" 6er without really describing what the seller meant. In both those cases the cars did NOT have option ZSP.

or

2) It does indeed have option ZSP, but the original owner liked the wheels/tires so much he kept to put on another car and replaced these with the lesser cost "standard" wheel/tire combo - or the dealer did - (I can't remember if you said where/how you purchased.

Anyway, give the vin number to BMWNA or your dealer and get the list of options that came with the car.

_______
    US '05 645 Coupe|Silver Grey|Chateau|Sport|Logic 7|HUD|Cold Pkg|SAT|AUX|BT w/ snap-in adapter|MP3|V1|CIP 25.02

Registered Member

Yes | No

It is the 121 style. I have the sport package (seats / sport button / upgraded paint etc.)

I just checked the tires/wheels and I have 4 245/40R19/94W ellipsoids. So not 35R19 in the back that I should have.

With this information should it be an issue?

Thanks again

Registered Member

Yes | No

Ok so you do have the 19 inch not 18 as you started out saying. Now the question is are the rear wheels the 9.0 wide versions or the 8.5 inch wide of the fronts. How to tell? Well the offset is different. Coupled with the wider wheel you should see ay least 1/2 to 1 inch difference in the distance fron the rear brake caliper to the inside of the spoke compared to the front. Unfortunately I do not have my car right now as it is in (for all things) new Michelin PS2s after having the Bridgestones for two full sets (53K miles) othrewise I would be more precise.

The previous owner may have just put the smaller tire on the wider rim (its ok its within the range for that tire). Assuming you do have the correct wider wheel I would just wait until the next time you need ties and go for the wider one if you want. It is possible that the previous owner did change everything to be the same (front wheel size on the rear) so he could rotate tires in an attempt to get longer life.

_______

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information