+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 143309 ENK1 is an unknown quantity at this point ENK1's Avatar

Yes | No

Software downloadload - why so long??

I have a 2006 650i Coupe purchased new in August, 2006 and my one year BMW Assist subscription expired. After deciding whether or not to renew it, I went for it (why, I don't know), but when testing it out recently, it didn't work.

BMW Assist customer service said since it had expired and was subsequently renewed one month later, the Dealer had to re-program the software in the car to re-accept it. I called the Dealer and they confirmed.

I dropped it off at the Dealer Thursday Morning and as of 7:00PM tonight (Friday) the car still wasn't ready. I was told that it needed a complete download of the new software version and all previous updates because they couldn't "just pick and choose" options to download. I was also told that it wasn't unusual for a total download to take 2-3 days.

Am I just being BSed by the Service Manager or is this actually possible? I'm just trying to run a car, not re-program an entire Country!

Any advice would be helpful. (I've looked at some of the past Posts on this Board and they have shed light on the subject, but it still seems incredible to me.)

Thanks. Ed

Registered Member
    Member No: 158234 ohareusa is an unknown quantity at this point ohareusa's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Software downloadload - why so long??

I have the same car and had mine in this week for the IPOD adapter addition. The dealer had to keep it over night for the software update and he did say he had one take 3 days recently. It could be a case of scheduling and not enough ports for the backlog of cars waiting.

On the updside the new software is better. I like the fact that I don't have to click accept every time I start the thing there seems to be a better sat nav interface etc etc.

The worst part of the experience for me was the crappy Saturn car they gave me - the thing didn't even have power windows.

Registered Member
    Member No: 143309 ENK1 is an unknown quantity at this point ENK1's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks for the response. Dealer called me this morning (Saturday) and said they had to keep the car for the rest of the weekend because a certain code number from BMW Assist was needed to complete the job and BMW Assist wasn't available until Monday!?

By the way, I was given a dirty Chevy Malibu with cigarette burns on the seat. All of the BMWs were already gone. Oh well, sometimes we all have to "make do" in this life. :-)

Ed

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

As ohareusa stated part of the problem is getting access to the upgrade hardware. While one machine can do miltiple cars it is soooo touchy that many dealers do not take a chance.
    Before car can be updated a complete diagnostic must be run (Measures Plan) to ensure no hardware issues exist and to verify each modules current software version (~ 25 individual units to be tested). If any hardware is suspect it must be replaced before proceding. Then once a machine/slot is available, hook up car. +20 page document on how to do it. Windows open, battery charger on, car isolated so that NO ONE touches it. Start update process. If every thing ran perfect from this point it MAY only take a 2-4 hours. But.... often times there are errors or known issues that require work arounds. Techs often come back to check car and find an error that cannot be explained and they have to start over or TS an error message before RESTARTING from scratch. Plus even the update process can fry a weak CCC or similar module. So counting all the pre-testing and access to upgrade hardware and even assuming a perfect upgrade sequence you have a full day. Something go wrong and ooops, day two already.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe|Silver Grey|Chateau|Sport|Logic 7|HUD|Cold Pkg|SAT|AUX|BT w/ snap-in adapter|MP3|V1|CIP 25.02

www.knightsoftheroundel.com

Registered Member
    Member No: 43175 leonardo is an unknown quantity at this point leonardo's Avatar

Yes | No

My 05 645Ci (build 28/4/05) is also in for an iPod adapter and a software update! I brought it in on Thursday and it's still at the dealer. They told me it takes a while to sort it out and they want to thoroughly test the car before giving it back to me. So the story is consistent at least with your experience. At least I got a BMW loaner...a 130i which is a lot of fun to drive.

LeonardoLeonardo
    01 IR/IR M Coupe - sadly sold
    Schnitzer wheels/suspension/exhaust/shifter

Registered Member
    Member No: 158282 Jhud is an unknown quantity at this point Jhud's Avatar

Yes | No

normally a complete program doesnt take 2-3 days. most of the time a vehicle will program overnight if theres alot of updates. the current progman version is 27.1.2. the vehicle you have is a MOST bus vehicle so they have told you the truth by saying they have to update the whole vehicle and not being able to choose what to update. sometimes a problem will arise during programming where a control module will fail and needs programmed again or possibly replaced. depending on whether its a MOST component such as a CCC or MASK or AMP etc, then you need authorization from BMW which can take a day or two to get. i dont think your center is b.s.-ing you because there are so many things that go along with programming. dont worry, updated programming will give the vehicle the latest programs and also help with some software issues such as a slow i-drive. be patient, its for the best.

Registered Member
    Member No: 151376 Ed_ is an unknown quantity at this point Ed_'s Avatar

Yes | No

Hey, there is anothe Ed here!

Funny I couldn't reregister as Ed a while back. Now I know why.

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

So you are Ed two, too, 2, also

_______
    US '05 645 Coupe|Silver Grey|Chateau|Sport|Logic 7|HUD|Cold Pkg|SAT|AUX|BT w/ snap-in adapter|MP3|V1|CIP 25.02

Registered Member
    Member No: 119132 howardmw is an unknown quantity at this point howardmw's Avatar

Yes | No

Hello Cobradav and everyone else, its been a long time since I have been on the board. My car was in for 3 days for, among other things, a software update. After getting the car back, I can not see ANY difference in the features, menus or functionality. I am wondering if the dealer really did not update software. Can anyone tell me what feature(s) I should look for to confirm that I am really now running the most current version? Thanks.

Registered Member
    Member No: 119132 howardmw is an unknown quantity at this point howardmw's Avatar

Yes | No

Oh, and btw...

Last time I had a software upgrade, I lost all of my address book entries and nav destination history. This time it was all there, which also made me suspicious that no upgrading was performed. When a complete upgrade is done, do you normally lose all that is in memory?

Registered Member
    Member No: 158282 Jhud is an unknown quantity at this point Jhud's Avatar

Yes | No

you shouldnt notice anything different. possible the main screen color will be a little more brown, but that depends on the last version you had whether it changed it or not. the reason you lost data last time and not this time is up to the tech. a good tech will write all that info down and put it back in when its done so you dont notice anything, sometimes the tech may forget some of the info and you will notice something is missing. the idea is to update the vehicle with as little impact/notice by the customer as possible. its not possible for you to know what version software you have unless the tech wrote it in his story and you have it on the copy of your repair order.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I am sure I have mentioned this here as well as elsewhere. Always ask (at the time you turn in car for service) for a copy of the Measures Plan or Final Report to be provided to you. From that we can determin which software you HAD as well as the new version (assuming you went thru an upgrade).

You can go on my site (KoTR) and search for PROGMAN (CIP) list and find a list of all versions since SOP and with some of the fixes and a few enhancements listed in short form.
    _______

Registered Member

Yes | No

My legal warning still comes up (and doesnt go away by itself) and I do not have the ability to search for a POI by name. Do you think this is an indication that I am not current?

Registered Member

Yes | No

One more time, just to clarify please...

If my car still has the lawyer screen and no ability to search by name for destinations, is it safe to say that my progman was NOT upgraded by the dealer even though they claimed they did it? Thanks for the help, folks.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information