+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EGR Valve

Registered Member
    Member No: 158556 Lowkeycm is an unknown quantity at this point Lowkeycm's Avatar

Yes | No

EGR Valve

Can anyone tell me where the EGR valve is located? I have a 02 X-type 2.5. What's the best way to test if it's working properly?

Registered Member
    Member No: 35097 bbojangles is an unknown quantity at this point bbojangles's Avatar

Yes | No

on the 3.0 it is on the front valve cover at the

end away from the oil filer cap. It takes an 1/8 turn to remove it. I dont know how to test, it is rattly even when new. It is not expesnive so if you suspect an issue maybe you can just change it.

Registered Member
    Member No: 157532 Jaguar28 is an unknown quantity at this point Jaguar28's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: EGR Valve

There is no EGR on the Duratec engine used in the X-Type petrol engines. These duratecs have VVT which, along with several other benefits, eliminates the need for an EGR.

Karl Wolf

Yes | No

that is the PCV valve

Registered Member
    Member No: 35097 bbojangles is an unknown quantity at this point bbojangles's Avatar

Yes | No

oops.. -- that was pre-coffee... sorry to waste

bandwidth.... lol.

Registered Member
    Member No: 157532 Jaguar28 is an unknown quantity at this point Jaguar28's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: that is the PCV valve

Karl,

You know your stuff. Good this board has you as a technical expert.

BTW - I've noticed the original poster had some P-Codes he's pulling with misfires, etc. that he is trying to solve in an earlier post. I'm guessing here, but his question about EGR might be connected. Another piece of evidence - He's pulling a P-0430, but then mentions a P-0403, don't know if this is a mis-type. The real evidence though - he claims to have cleaned with Gum out. Theory - Assume he dumped gum out directly into the TB, if it was running or not, he might have done derious damage to the TPS by flooding it w/GO along the way, and/or he added so much GO it has contaminated one of the cats or damaged the O2 Sensor, or both. That accounts for the P-0430 and the original P-0300's, which I am gathering he is no longer pulling.

If he flooded the TB without the engine running it would have been very difficult to start, but in trying a lot of raw material would have ended up in the cat, along with raw gasoline, the death knell to a cat and at the same time pulled the 300's.

Sorry original poster. I don't mean to refer to you as if you're not here, but I very much admire Karl's technical knowledge. Hope this helps you resolve your issues.

Karl Wolf

Yes | No

gumout and bad gas

I think lowkey put the gumout into the fuel tank. Please correct me if I am wrong. P0403 is a typo as there is no such code as I recall.

The Jag uses a returnless fuel system. This means that all the fuel picked up out of the tank has no other path out of the system than the injectors. In a recirculating system the fuel has the opportunity to pass thru a return line back to the tank to be mixed with whatever is in the tank.

This is why the Jag can quickly run very poorly if there is anything in the fuel system that does not act exactly like gasoline. This can be a large concentration of alcohol, water, or gumout type substance. Once it is picked up by the fuel pump it will end up in the injectors.

bad fuel or not mixing additives correctly will cause an injector issue. Adding new, good fuel will not solve the problem until all the fuel in the line has passed thru the injectors. This is why putting in fresh gas will not immediately solve the issue.

If you are using any additives you must not put them in a full tank. Take them to the station, put it in a close to empty tank and then fill up. Drive around starting , stopping, and turning to thoroughly mix it with the fuel.

Registered Member
    Member No: 158556 Lowkeycm is an unknown quantity at this point Lowkeycm's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: oops.. -- that was pre-coffee... sorry to waste

Thanks for everyones info. I did put the fuel injector cleaner into the tank. Since then I've run the car to empty and then refilled, no change in behavior or codes. Do you think it may be an injector problem now. If so how would I fix it, would I have to replace them? I'm still getting all of the misfire codes p0300 thru p0306. The individual cylinder codes are random sometimes its all of them sometimes its one or two. Any recommendations?

Karl Wolf

Yes | No

hope, time, or injectors

It does sound like you have an injector issue. If you are very mechanically inclined you can replace the injectors but it is not a simple or cheap job.

You could try disconnecting the low pressure vacuum off the fuel rail. This will increase the fuel pressure at the injectors and may help clean them out. Be sure to plug the vacuum line. This should only be done temporarily to try to see if the symptoms change.

You didn't happen to try to wash under the hood did you?

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: oops.. -- that was pre-coffee... sorry to waste

Are you still getting the P0430? If so, and it were my car, I'd be looking downstream, right bank, catalytic O2 Sensor, cat, or downstream O2 sensor. A simple test would be to switch left/right sensors. If you pull a P0420, then the sensors are bad. If you still pull an 0430 then you could have damaged the cat. Once a sensor goes bad, the signal sent back to the ECM is faulty (wrong resistance) and the ECM then tries to correct the air/fuel ratio incorrectly, of course...maybe too rich causing the 0300 codes.

If it is just the misfires (0300's), then I'd go to fuel injectors, pump, pump module, filter, etc. There is too much coincidence with the gumout you added to the fuel. As Karl states, you might not have mixed it thoroughly initially, and if this engine took a good swallow of concentrated gumout it might have done damage downstream, or might have pushed contaminates into the injectors. If your engine is constantly misfiring showing 0300 codes and not 0170 codes, then lack of fuel is not your problem. Instead, you're getting too much fuel, enough to be mis-timed. This is a particularly bad situation as you'll soon damage cats and o2sensors if you haven't already.

Every other cause would be flukes unrelated to the gumout. BTW, next time, if you want a better/safer injector cleaner use Chevron Techron. Mix it as Karl suggested AND according to the dillution recommendations on the product label.

Keep posting your progress!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: hope, time, or injectors

Thanks for the insite, I'll give the O2 sensor check and increased fuel pressure strategy a shot. I'll let you guys know it it goes. Wish me luck. I sure don't want to have to replace the injectors. No I haven't washed under the hood.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information