+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 107953 vivid is an unknown quantity at this point vivid's Avatar

Yes | No

Discoloring cream leather seats in an 06 645

Here goes... Mum has a 645 here in the US and I know its sad but she hardly drives it; it has 7000 miles on the clock... Most of those miles are to tennis, Publix and social events... The car is in FL and as we all know one must wear suncream and Mum is no exception... The white/cream Dekota leather seats have turned a bright green/yellow... Now I can only assume that the suncream has caused this but now the questions comes as to why and is it more a defective product?

Mum has always had light colored leather seats in all her previous cars and has been religious about sun cream for as long as I can remember and never has a seat discolored before. What could have made this seat discolor when other seats have not? Could the leather have been not sealed therefore allowing the suncream to react with the hide and discolor? Is this a warranty issue? The local BMW rep has seen the car and claimed it was not their fault but the suncream's fault but in the same breath offered to split the cost of replacing the seat... This sounds like a strange offer if the leather was not to blame at all, as we all know BMW and all car reps want to deny deny deny.

what do you guys think and has this been an issue with others?

Oh let me also add on a side note... None of the fabrics in my parents house have discolored and nor has the leather on their boat. Its just one seat in one car that has ever discolored.

Registered Member
    Member No: 26083 r.merkle is an unknown quantity at this point r.merkle's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Discoloring cream leather seats in an 06 645

i looked into the lite cream seat and my sales person talked me out of them. hes seen lots come in with disclolored areas where the skin has touched them. i could be sweet more than the sun block. he insisted that if i bought that color to have them sealed and resealed regularlt.

as to the problem- go to a good seat coverer and see if they can dye the color back. then seal the color in.

Registered Member
    Member No: 84481 rduncan is an unknown quantity at this point rduncan's Avatar

Yes | No

No discoloring cream leather seats in an 04 645

I have the cream interior on my 2004 645Ci and have experienced no problems, and have 40K miles on the car. OK, perhaps a small bit of discoloration in the heavily worn areas, but that's it. I periodically clean and condition it, but not obsessively. But I've never sat on it with sun tan lotion, either.

Robert ---
    MY2004 645Ci Mystic Blue and CreamBeige

Registered Member
    Member No: 159411 adman928 is an unknown quantity at this point adman928's Avatar

Yes | No

Once fixed (however accomplished), you might consider 'tinting' all passenger windows, providing it's legal in FL... a special aftermarket film installed at auto specialty shops. Not expensive. This keeps out excessive UV rays and helps preserve original colors. Also consider a good leather conditioner (ie Lexol) which moisterizes and seals, applied monthly.

Seems to me the 50/50 offer from dealer is reasonable, since it's possible that your mom's sunscreen had some play in the discoloration.

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 99662 KathyO is an unknown quantity at this point KathyO's Avatar

Yes | No

Just wondering - from the ladies point of view - if it's possible that your mom's sunscreen also contains a bronzing tint and/or a sunless tanning agent. This is the stuff that lets the ladies get a tan while also protecting their skin from UV rays - and gives a tan even if they're indoors. If that's the case, your mom could very well have dyed the seats with the product..............

I've had 3 sixer convertibles, all with the light cream leather...and none have discolored.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information