+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 39532 hrhos is an unknown quantity at this point hrhos's Avatar

Yes | No

** Please Help ** Newbie On Board ...

Just drove home in a 2006 650i CPO 22K miles. Silver Grey. Sport Package ...
    Last car is / was a Porsche Cayenne S.

Anyway, I need a quick primer on a number of issues:

iDrive upgrades:
    How do i check my iDrive version and how do I go about getting this updated if needed.

iPod:
    No ipod adaptor. I would like to get this installed. I have a CD changer so I suspect - I would lose this. no ? In any case please advise on best way to proceed.

The B pillar panel - holding the seat belt is frayed. I suspect from constant friction with the seat belt. My dealer has advised that I can get this replaced under warrantly - I wonder why they didnt replace it in the first place - anyway please let me know if and how others have handled this. This has been reported by several owners / drivers. additionally, the black kick panel behind the drivers seat is wearing. Again - dealer claims this is a warrantly item. Please advise.

Thank you all for your anticipated responses. Looking forward to being an active member of this board.

Registered Member
    Member No: 103164 GeezTech is an unknown quantity at this point GeezTech's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: ** Please Help ** Newbie On Board ...

"iDrive upgrades:
    How do i check my iDrive version and how do I go about getting this updated if needed."
    You cant check for the same number used to program the cars, you would have to keep track of individual numbers to actually know. But the newer software changes the graphics on the screen, maybe go to the dealer and check a late '07 on the lot. But basically the center of the screen has a smalle icon representing the i-drive knob and the screen is grayer in color. The navigation will have a search by distance and zip code search when you go into information then choose on location. Some dealers will update the software as part of the CPO so the car is up to date before delivery.

"iPod:
    No ipod adaptor. I would like to get this installed. I have a CD changer so I suspect - I would lose this. no ? In any case please advise on best way to proceed."
    Yes, you will lose the CD Changer since the i-pod interface will use the wiring and fiber optics of the changer. The good part is that once installed trhey will have to code the car so it knows the interface is there and if the car is not at the latest software level then you now will be once they are done. Note: they should only charge you to code the car, not program the whole car if other modules show up during the retrofit procedure, warranty will pick up the tab for the additional modules. I would say the average cost for labor "should" be around 3 hours total for the install and coding, but each dealer is different on their pricing.

"The B pillar panel - holding the seat belt is frayed. I suspect from constant friction with the seat belt. My dealer has advised that I can get this replaced under warrantly - I wonder why they didnt replace it in the first place - anyway please let me know if and how others have handled this. This has been reported by several owners / drivers. additionally, the black kick panel behind the drivers seat is wearing. Again - dealer claims this is a warrantly item. Please advise."
    Yes warranty should cover these, but you are right that they should have done this during the CPO so you dont have to go back in just after purchasing the car. The idea behind the CPO is to get the car to "like new" condition so you dont have to return to the dealer for things like this or maintenence items. BMW has specific standards that the dealer should be following.
    Some small details to check, any of the glass in the car needs to have the BMW logo on it, especially the front windscreen, the tires need to have a "star" symbol on them as those are factory spec tires and must be installed in order to pass the CPO process, no aftermarket wheels installed.

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Welcome.

Follow Geez Tech advice.

As to software level, only the dealer can tell you. If not in paperwork he has then he would have to hook you up to machine. We could guess but might not be accurate.

When you do take you car in to get your iPod update and software upgrade ask them to provide a copy of Measures Plan or Final Report. That will tell you the Target Data Status (TDS) of your new (and old) PROGMAN and that can be translated into the CIP level that seems to be what most owners use to track their version information.
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe|Silver Grey|Chateau|Sport|Logic 7|HUD|Cold Pkg|SAT|AUX|BT w/ snap-in adapter|MP3|V1|CIP 25.02

www.knightsoftheroundel.com

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks !!

I called the Dealer and booked the car in for the internal trim replacement. The advisor said they will also update iDrive as part of their work and that I need to be prepared to have the car there overnight.

So ... when should I request the iPod adapter installation ? I am trying to ensure I am only charged for the adapter and the 0.75 hrs for installation AND NO labor for encoding iDrive and iPod.

Assuming the iPod interface is not installed when iDrive is updated - would they need another update just for iPod ? I suspect not.

TIA

Registered Member

Yes | No

Update .... ** Please Help ** Newbie On Board ...

Thanks !!

I called the Dealer and booked the car in for the internal trim replacement. The advisor said they will also update iDrive as part of their work and that I need to be prepared to have the car there overnight.

So ... when should I request the iPod adapter installation ? I am trying to ensure I am only charged for the adapter and the 0.75 hrs for installation AND NO labor for encoding iDrive and iPod.

Assuming the iPod interface is not installed when iDrive is updated - would they need another update just for iPod ? I suspect not.

TIA

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Update .... ** Please Help ** Newbie On Board ...

No, should not require futher upgrade UNLESS you have had enough time for further changes in vehicle modules that would require it. If you were lucky the iPod kit is in parts department now and you could have it installed all at once. But in any case I would hurry up and do it fast - strike while iron is hot and dealer is in a helpful mode (maybe is all the time anyway)
    _______
    US '05 645 Coupe|Silver Grey|Chateau|Sport|Logic 7|HUD|Cold Pkg|SAT|AUX|BT w/ snap-in adapter|MP3|V1|CIP 25.02

www.knightsoftheroundel.com

Registered Member
    Member No: 103164 GeezTech is an unknown quantity at this point GeezTech's Avatar

Yes | No

Coding for the i-pod is seperate step............

...they "may" want to charge you for that, I dont see them charging the .75 to install it either. 2 hours would be fair for the whole job, the labor time given is estimated time not a firm amount to charge and it doesn't including the coding process.
    If you push the issue too much they will probably hand the job off to a hourly and your car will be down for 3 days.
    If this is the selling dealer then they may work with you on it depending on what kind of deal you got when you did the purchase.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information