+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 108790 ZMark is an unknown quantity at this point ZMark's Avatar

Yes | No

Best year for Porche 911's

I'm a newbie to Porsche's so forgive this basic question. I was looking at some used 911's yesterday the dealer was telling me it is "well known" that the late 90's models (97-99) are much preferred to the newer models (2000 - 2003). He couldn't really give me any specifics so I figure he was probably trying to scam me but I wanted to see if there is something that I should know about. I'm looking to spend $40K ish for a nice 911 cab and have found some deals in the 2002 - 2004 year range. I appreciate any helpZMark
    Z4 2.5 manual Titanium/Black/Black
    Chrome tailpipes, Roadster Solution Windblocker, iPod (coming soon)
    Prem & Sport Pkg, Xenon and heated seats for those cold So. Cal nites ;)

767Driver

Yes | No

Re: Best year for Porche 911's

Kind of a tough question. The body styles are actually quite different from say the 95-98 993 to the 99-03 996. So from a looks only stand point you will have to take that into consideration.

I have owned several 911's including a 96 triple black 993(911's from 95-98)and some earlier models which I still own. I do tend to prefer the air cooled cars of past and their beautiful lines as opposed to the 996(99-04). So unless you feel like shelling out considerably more money to buy an 05 or later (997) I think you would love the 993/911, especially if you can find a nice 1998. It was the last year of the 993 and is really exceptional looking, sounding (especially with the motor sound ), quite reliable and going to be a collectible of sorts. The 96-97 are also quite nice and basically the same but not the last year. There has been some issues with valve guide wear but nothing catastrophic that I am aware of. If you go with a later version I would go with the 03. There all nice, just a matter of preference and what you are going to do with the car. Daily driver, really hot or cold climate? Hope it helps.

1986 911 Targa
    2007 335i coupe
    2001 740iL

Registered Member
    Member No: 75620 twmm3 is an unknown quantity at this point twmm3's Avatar

Yes | No

You forgot the body style change 74-88 and 964...

the old fender/bumper and the more modern but classical 89-94 911. Of cpoorse, there is the pre 1974 version which are the real classical style. Amazing how there is little mention by Porsche about the 964 like a step child they wish would just go away however I believe it is the best of both worlds modern style of the classical design...the prominent fenders and more traditional hood with an excellent engine and very good handling.

767Driver

Yes | No

Re: You forgot the body style change 74-88 and 964...

I have to admit I love them all except the 996. I just dont care for that front end and headlight setup. I still have difficulty trying to tell if its a Boxster coming at me or a 996 until it gets almost abeam me. Went to the Rennfest reunion in Daytona Beach a few weeks ago, what a great display of everything Porsche! However, I still find myself admiring the classics.

Registered Member
    Member No: 159573 dickfalcon is an unknown quantity at this point dickfalcon's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: about the 964...

i am dying to buy my friend's 1989 964 c4. the engine has been rebuilt and bored out to 3.8 liter by Imagine Auto in Kansas City. i have heard so much about the leaky engine, and i assume the rebuild will take care of that problem. as of the moment it doesn't leak a drop of anything, but another mechanic told me the the oil line down the passenger seat can be a problem. this car is a BADASS. lowered 2" with the 993 cup wheels, triple black, imaculate intereior / exterior, 97K miles (5K on the rebuild). approx. $21K to $20K

i have wanted an air-cooled 911 for a long time and i don't want to miss an opportunity. i don't have deep pockets, but i don't have a kid or a wife. this would be my first Porsche and want to make sure i purchase an affordable model. does any of that make sense? any thoughts?

Registered Member
    Member No: 155062 767Driver is an unknown quantity at this point 767Driver's Avatar

Yes | No

As you can read from my previous posts my experience is with slightly different models of the same era. Having never owned an 89 c4 I don't want to mislead you. However, prior to making my first Porsche purchase about 8 years ago I was looking at the same car. After doing some research and actually speaking with a Porsche tech, the general consensus was to stay away from that car. I believe it was the first year of all wheel drive for Porsche and it suffered from the many problems that can occur when new technologies are introduced for public use, wear and tear for the first time. I don't know anything about Imagine Auto, they may be great and have rebuilt a wonderful motor, but if you dont have deep pockets I would recommend staying with the proven,solid, very reliable and excellent performing 86-89. 87-89 has a better hydraulic clutch and g50 tranny which is better than the 86 version. You should be able to find one with lower mileage and very good condition for that price range.2007 335i coupe
    2001 740iL
    1986 Porsche 91 Carrera/Targa

Registered Member
    Member No: 159573 dickfalcon is an unknown quantity at this point dickfalcon's Avatar

Yes | No

thanks for your time and info. it's such a badass car that i may not be able to control my weakness for it. the only thing it needs is a new 3-spoke momo steering wheel. let's see if i can figure out how to insert a pic

Registered Member
    Member No: 155062 767Driver is an unknown quantity at this point 767Driver's Avatar

Yes | No

My computer is a bit screwed so I cant see the pic

I am sure it is a beautiful looking car. And it may be excellent mechanically as well.Since the seller is a friend of yours that helps with the trust factor. Regardless, you shouold have a pre purchase inspection done by a Porsche dealership or Porsche independent. That will help identify any major issues that you need to know about ahead of time,and give you a little peace of mind.
    When was the clutch laat redone, the last brake job, AC service, has the tranny and diff fluid been changed? Good luck in your decision. 2007 335i coupe
    2001 740iL
    1986 Porsche 911 Carrera/Targa

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: My computer is a bit screwed so I cant see the pic

your computer is probably fine, i don't think i uploaded the picture correctly. i'll try again later, 'cause it's worth checking out. if i decide to pull the trigger i will get a ppi, and follow up on the brake job, clutch, etc. info.

what do you know about the 964 C2?

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: My computer is a bit screwed so I cant see the pic

Not much unfortunately. The only thing I recall hearing is the same old story about rear main seal leaks, and I may be confusing myself with a different year I will have to check. A little oil leak never really bothered me that much, just personal opinion. When a clutch job arises you replace it then.2007 335i coupe
    2001 740iL
    1986 Porsche 911 Carrera/Targa

Registered Member
    Member No: 92336 REDCAB is an unknown quantity at this point REDCAB's Avatar

Yes | No

The best? The best, is one you can afford to buy!!

I just had to say that.

jeremy

Yes | No

I would buy a c2 over a c4 unless you plan on driving it alot in the snow.

The c4 can be expensive as the 4wd system is pretty complex.

The 1996+ c4 is less complex and less costly.

The 3.8 probably screams =

jim

Yes | No

There were engine problems on 6 sp manuel transmission in 1999 to 2001? Thye elaked oil because the carnkcast was not sized well and so enignes had to be replaced. Best years are 1996-1998 and 2003 on

Neilkevin

Yes | No

Porsche 911 is one of my favorite car to go with. But ensure you deal with a good, reputed used car dealer who can provide clean car history.

Adamsmith90

Yes | No

Hello Neilkevin,
    Hybrid Prius is one of my favorite car to go with. I suggest you reputed used car dealer who can provide clean car history.

Used cars for sale

User Level 1
    Member No: 189974 pete89c4 is an unknown quantity at this point pete89c4's Avatar

Yes | No
    I have an '89 C-4 coupe and I love ( LUV)! it. This is my fourth Porsche.#1was '59Normal silver over blue leath.#2 was '69 911 forest green/blk. #3 was
    '99 Boxter silver/red leth.(liked the drop top).They are all great cars for reasons particular to each model,but the 964 has approx. 79%
    new technology taken from the Porsche racing program.This car is on a rail in the corners due to the AWD sys.(23 years old and not a spec of trouble!You may want to look at this model as it utilizes new tech. with classic styling.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 173.77.232.207

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information